Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RBT3000 log playback in tomtom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RBT3000 log playback in tomtom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firefly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: RBT3000 log playback in tomtom Reply with quote

Hi, promise to be gentle with me - i'm a newbie here.

I have;
- A shiny new RBT3000
- An Ipaq 1940 (v1.10 rom) running Tomtom Navigator 2.24 with GPS driver V2.07

As a bluetooth GPS the RBT3000 works just fine.

My problem is with log file playback .... that the BlueGPS software only appears to playback logs on com5, but I see no way of selecting com5 as the tomtom input.

I'm sure that I read somewhere that Darren had played back through tomtom. How is this done?

Failing that (and kind of related) are there any other PPC or PC mapping applications that can utilise tomtom maps?

Any guidance appreciated.

Firefly.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, that'll be me ;)

Hav you tried changing the GPS Port Settings in TomTom to receive data on COM5?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From recollection in TomTom you just select NMEA 0183v2 on GPS Port and this will allow you to playback the log file through the RBT App.
Firefly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, that'll be me

Hav you tried changing the GPS Port Settings in TomTom to receive data on COM5?

My thanks to Darren and Dave for your replies.

Hi Darren

My Tomtom GPS driver is normally set to;
Tomtom Wireless GPS
Bluetooth Serial Port COM8:

I see no way of assigning GPS port to COM5.
My options under the secondary list are;
COM3:
Bluetooth Serial Port COM8:
S2410 IRDA2410
S2410 COM0
Serial on USB
GPS port
APP port

I have tried selecting;
Tomtom Wireless GPS
GPS port:
(and ticking the checkbox)

I then close TTN, launch BlueGPS, Click the 'Processing' tab, Select the filename of a recently downloaded logfile, Click 'Connect to Map' ..... and nothing much happens. I assume that I must then launch TTN again (manually) but still no sign of a pseudo 'signal'.

Dave, I have done all of the above using your suggested
NMEA 0183v2 4800
GPS port
.... and the same result as above.

Guys. Should I be telling BlueGPS to use tomtom for playback somehow? i.e in the 'Configuration' tab within BlueGPS?

Am I being really dumb here?

Firefly.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No just leave the application name blank, but pick up your saved track in the BlueGPS App and then hit PLAY. Once it's playing then go into TomTom GPS and select NMEA0183v2 GPSPort and it should work.

If it doesn't, you may have TomTom ~ GPS installed. Can you use other programs talking to the Bluetooth GPS or only TomTom ? If no, e.g. WinFast Navigator, then you need to uninstall TomTom ~ GPS as this does various COM port mappings and locks and will cause you a problem.
Firefly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, thanks for your advice, but now i'm really confused.

Previously you appeared to be telling me 'how to' configure Tomtom GPS, now you appear to be telling me to uninstall it if it's installed.

I tried the 'how to' and (as before) that didn't work.

So, I looked in start/Settings/system/removeprograms and sure enough 'tomtom ~ gps' was listed, so I removed it .... and now TTN doesn't run at all, I just get the spincycle timeout!

I have always perceived Tomtom GPS (or 'tomtom ~ GPS') to be a single application that could be launched independently from the Start/programs icon or is automatically invoked by TTN and can then be accessed via the TTN navigator menu. They certainly share a very similar looking icon. Are they the same or different?

Incidentally, you asked 'Do other PPC gps progs work okay?' - I don't have any other PPC gps progs, so at this stage I don't know.

I feel certain that you are on the right track with tomtom screwing up the com ports - but I am still clueless as to how to resolve this.

Firefly.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"TomTom ~ GPS" has a two stage remove process on many machines. The first time you remove it, it removes hooks that it makes to the Bluetooth stack - removing those can be beneficial, as with them in place, you can find other applications unable to access a Bluetooth GPS.

Removing it a second time removes the actual program - at which point TomTom Navigator will no longer work properly.

I suggest you go to support.tomtom.com. Download the latest GPS 3.07, and install that (it doesn't matter you're still on Navigator 2 - though consider upgrading now to Navigator 3 if you can, as the upgrade offer will close shortly). GPS 3.07 is supposedly far less invasive than earlier versions - though it still hooks into the Bluetooth stack on many machines.

If you still have problems, soft reset then remove GPS 3.07 once - which will force a soft reset. Do things work properly then?

David
Firefly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DavidW and thanks for your input.

I visited support.tomtom as you suggested. 'Tomtom ~ GPS' V3.07 is not recommended by tomtom for my 1940 so I opted for V3.03 which is.

I did the soft reset, I installed V3.03, and soft reset again.

In TTGPS I am able to select 'NMEA 0183v2 4800' on 'GPS port' and I am able to tick the checkbox. So far so good!

I then run BlueGPS and play the log file. Okay, still going good!

Then (whilst BlueGPS is running) I start TTN. The Navigator screen states 'GPS Disabled' though. Not so good! I then click 'GPS status' to see what's going on and TTGPS still shows 'NMEA 0183v2 4800' on 'GPS port' but the checkbox has NO TICK now. Try as I may, tapping the checkbox will not display a tick.

So .....

I did a soft reset and removed TTGPS once, which as you say forced another soft reset. Now TTN won't run (cos TTGPS aint there presumably).

ahhhhhm!

Should I try 3.07 even though it isn't recommended for my machine?

Once again, my thanks to Darren, Dave and yourself for your combined efforts.

Rgds, Firefly.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the recommendation side of things is very confusing. TomTom say that you really need this version if you have certain hardware - but many people have taken that as a recommendation against if you don't have any of that hardware.

I've installed Navigator 3.07 and GPS 3.07 on hardware not on that list, and it's worked just fine - indeed, in one case, it worked better than expected (GPS 3.07 unexpectedly has VGA support, and my iPAQ hx4700 has a VGA screen). I just wish Navigator had VGA support, even if it didn't have VGA icons.

I'd try GPS 3.07 - firstly without a single remove of TomTom ~ GPS, then with a single remove. If that doesn't work I'm rather at a loss as to what to suggest.

David
Firefly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I decided to bite the bullet and try 3.07.

I am afraid to report exactly the same as 3.03 (both in terms of can't check box, and one remove kills TTN).

I did notice one curiosity though.

If I open TTGPS, check the box and LEAVE TTGPS open while I launch BlueGPS .... then when hitting the play button I get an error message 'Can't open COM4' - this is not a typo, COM4.

BlueGPS appears to be attempting to open COM4! ughhhhhh!

..... anyone like to buy an RBT3000, hardly used?

Firefly.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: