Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI editing program that runs on PPC?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI editing program that runs on PPC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mupp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: POI editing program that runs on PPC? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a POI editing or viewing program that runs on Microsoft PPC 2003?
All the ones I've found seem to run on a PC, enabling you to edit and then transfer the POI's, but I'd like to be able to view TomTom POI's Lat and Long's (and if necc. edit them) from my IPAQ, without access to a desk / lap top.
Thanks,
Dave
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave

I sometimes edit my poi's on my Pocket PC using NotePad from

http://tillanosoft.com/ce/pnotepad.html

I also have the .dll file installed from the same web site.

When using this program, some files are to large, but a warning comes up and asks if you would like Pocket Word to open the program, i always click yes. My files are of the .asc format so are easy to edit.

Using this version of NotePad you can navigate to any part of your system, and open any type of file, works great for me.

I would do a FULL BACKUP if you try it, just to make sure that nothing gets lost or corrupted.

Its freeware.

Regards

PocketGps
mupp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks, actually that looks like a good little program anyway so I'll that to my bulging SD card.

What I'm after was a way to view the Lat Longs of POI's within TomTom, alas I don't think I can from browsing all the Pocker PC programs I can find on the web.
I go GeoCaching with a Foretrex 101 (I like the minimalist approach.... :D ) When I'm in the car, the Foretrex feeds TTN running on a 2210, and gets me to the general area of a Cache. I then disconnect the Foretrex and head off with just that on foot for the hunt. I would have liked to click on the POI to get the Lat Long for entering in my Foretrex and opening the OV file in Notepad, then finding the relevant Cache POI, is a bit of a palaver.
There a few freeware PPC GeoCache managers out there so I'll experiment with them.
Cheers,
Dave
mupp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to have struck out with the Notepad method, don't know what I'm doing wrong.
The first .ov2 file of POI's I opened was too large for Notepad, so I accepted the Pocker Word alternative, but that didn't display and of the legible content ov the .ov2 file, just displayed a very few characters of code.
I then tried a much smaller .ov2 file that Notepad could handle, but got exactly the same display that I got in Pocket Word Sad
Think I'll have to keep two copies of my GeoCache POI's, one for TTN to display and another as a list of Lat/Longs.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom OV2 files are in binary format so they cannot be edited using Notepad. You could try my POIManager program for the PocketPC which is available in the Downloads area
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=23

Richard
mupp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard - Your program did just what I wanted - thanks very much :D :D :D :D

I don't know if I did it the right way, but using POIManager:

1. In the Files tab I selected the .ov2 file I wanted to read on the "Master File" button
2. On the "Select Output File" button I created a new file with the .txt extension
3. On the Check tab I pressed "Start"

This created a .txt file that I could open in Pocket Word containing the entire data from the ov.2 file in a nice list.
Now I can read the true Lat/Lon of the POI (not the snapped to nearest road one that TTN provides) and copy it into my GPS ! :D Sorted, thanks again.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mupp wrote:
Hi Richard - Your program did just what I wanted - thanks very much :D :D :D :D

I don't know if I did it the right way, but using POIManager:

1. In the Files tab I selected the .ov2 file I wanted to read on the "Master File" button
2. On the "Select Output File" button I created a new file with the .txt extension
3. On the Check tab I pressed "Start"

This created a .txt file that I could open in Pocket Word containing the entire data from the ov.2 file in a nice list.
Now I can read the true Lat/Lon of the POI (not the snapped to nearest road one that TTN provides) and copy it into my GPS ! :D Sorted, thanks again.

Yes that is the way I would have used. Glad that you find the program useful.

Richard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: