Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can the Navman do this?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can the Navman do this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mapwalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Can the Navman do this? Reply with quote

If I understand correctly the Navman BT-gps is the only gps that turns itself off after a few minutes when the BT-connection is lost.

This function is of great importance to me because I want to use the navman while hiking with topo-maps and I need a gps that I can put in my backpack without turning it on and off all day. The PPC will only be turned on if I want to know where I am. Saving battery-power is of great importance when hiking so I would like the gps to save power if there is no BT-connection.

Now my questions to a navman-owner are:

If I shut off my ppc, will the Navman shut off completely or does it go into a sleepmode and does it automatically wake up and re-establish a BT-connection when I turn on my ppc again?
Actually I don't want to setup the connection manuall everytime I turn on my ppc!
Does this work problem free?
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once connection is lost after 3 minutes the Navman switch itself off. You will have to manually switched it back on.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Can the Navman do this? Reply with quote

Mapwalker wrote:

If I shut off my ppc, will the Navman shut off completely or does it go into a sleepmode and does it automatically wake up and re-establish a BT-connection when I turn on my ppc again?

My experience with my Navman 4400 is that it shuts off completely, requiring you to press the power button on the GPS to restart it. This could be awkward if it attached to the top/rear of a large pack (unless you happen to be double-jointed :D ).
This leads to people trying to come up with ways to have the Navman spliced into a constantly on power supply in the car.
Mapwalker wrote:
Actually I don't want to setup the connection manuall everytime I turn on my ppc!

My experience is that even if you power the GPS back on before switching the PPC back on, the connection will not re-establish cleanly. It looks OK until you drive off (e.g. from services onto motorway, then the connection locks up). There have been other threads on the subject. I can't remember, without searching for them, whether this has been blamed on the Bluetooth stack, the Navman ST software or the GPS hardware. If it is the latter, you won't (hopefully) have the problem with your Topo map software.
Mapwalker wrote:
Does this work problem free?

No, not really Sad (for in car use with SmartST Pro), but it's fine once you are used to resetting the PPC, re-establishing the BT link & re-starting the software. This would be a real PITA if you are switching on to check your position, walking a few miles & re-checking Exclamation

If you can find a GPS that sleeps, with a very low drain, it should always have its current position, rather than having to re-acquire the satellites.

Hope this helps!

PS remember to keep your compass and paper maps handy Exclamation :D
Mapwalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGF, thank you for your answers. You helped me a lot and convinced me that even the Navman is not what I seek.
It seems there is no BT-gps that suits my needs and maybe I will have tos tick to my Syson CF plus that works very well and starts automatically when I turn on my ppc. The obly disadvantage is te fact that it sticks out and it drains the battery of my ppc too much.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapwalker wrote:
BGF, thank you for your answers. You helped me a lot and convinced me that even the Navman is not what I seek.
It seems there is no BT-gps that suits my needs and maybe I will have tos tick to my Syson CF plus that works very well and starts automatically when I turn on my ppc. The obly disadvantage is te fact that it sticks out and it drains the battery of my ppc too much.

You may want to look at some of the external battery packs or possibly solar power. If you can't reduce the drain, you could increase the resource.
Mapwalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You may want to look at some of the external battery packs or possibly solar power. If you can't reduce the drain, you could increase the resource.

I thought of that also and I bought an Isun Solar panel. Unfortunately it doesn't charge my ppc directly but on sunny days I put it on top of my backpack and it charges 4 Nimh-cells. With those cells I can charge my ppc in the evenig and even use it in my head-light. :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: