Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sprite Backup Premium Edition
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sprite Backup Premium Edition
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Sprite Backup Premium Edition Reply with quote

I’m using the 10 day evaluation copy of Sprite Backup Premium Edition, version 3.01 (Build 1676). I haven’t got enough space on the SD card to back up the iPAQ so I backed it up to the PC instead.

The 31,277 KB took 42:08 minutes to back up via active sync and a USB cable onto a PC running Windows 2000. My questions are:

1) Is the above time a reasonable one to back up that amount of memory to a PC?
2) Is it definitely a complete backup? I.e. if I left the iPAQ for a month and it lost its battery power and thus was in a state similar to just after a hard reset, would the restore bring it back to the state it was in when the backup was taken?
3) Is a backup to the SD/CF card any faster or better?
4) As well as the iPAQ 3970, I’ve just bought an iPAQ 2210. Can Sprite Backup work OK on both PPC2003 and WM2003. Can the Sprite Backup PC Agent handle two or more PDAs using the same PC as a backup storage? Although obviously not at the same time.
5) Anybody else have any comments (good or bad) about Sprite Backup?

Thanks,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

I've been using Sprite Premium for a year or more now, and it's invaluable. I have set mine to do a backup every midnight to the SD card. I have turned on compression and it backs up to about 8Mb on my iPAQ 5555 (which answers your question about running on WM2003).

I don't back up to the PC so can't comment on the time taken.

I did a restore from a backup stored on the SD card after my iPAQ did its own hard reset and everything was back in place, including the partnership with Activesync (I connected as a guest to reload Sprite backup and then did the restore).

Personally, I wouldn't leave home without it.
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) That time sounds far too long. I use Sprite to backup to my PC fairly regularily. It takes about 4 minutes to back up all the volatile memory plus selected items from my SD card, totalling about 50MB.

2) Yes. It is a complete backup. In fact I am so confident in it that I did a hard reset and restore yesterday just to test something.

3) Takes about the same time to an SD card or to a PC although when I backup to an SD card I backup a bit less data.

4) Yes. Don't know, but I would imagine so.

5) Buy it.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4)Privateer wrote : As well as the iPAQ 3970, I’ve just bought an iPAQ 2210. Can Sprite Backup work OK on both PPC2003 and WM2003. Can the Sprite Backup PC Agent handle two or more PDAs using the same PC as a backup storage? Although obviously not at the same time. Always supposing sprite lets you install onto 2 PPC's I don't see any reason why you can't! I have created a folder called "Pocket PC backups" in "My documents "on my PC.( just so I know where they are)..I have different folders within this folder for each type of backup I do .. so you should be able to name one of then 2210 and the other 3970,then backup each machine to it's folder name sake.. then if you need to restore Point Sprite to the required folder! Hope this makes sense Smile I think this is the best prog since sliced bread :D dave
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just run a sprite pe backup to PC on my 2210 and the ave transfer speed was 221KB's per second so a file of your size should have taken roughly 2 1/2 mins
Confused
dave
sland
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do "options" then choose "switch to advanced mode" then select "options" again you can then select "backup options" from the menu. Select that and you get the option to tick a box detailed "Create self restoring backup files". In short the backup software creates an "exe" file for you which means you do not have to reinstall sprite to restore your data - just do a hard reset and run the exe file :D

Mike
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sprite Backup Premium Edition Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
The 31,277 KB took 42:08 minutes to back up via active sync and a USB cable onto a PC running Windows 2000. My questions are:

Ouch!

Privateer wrote:
1) Is the above time a reasonable one to back up that amount of memory to a PC?

I haven't used the new version but the reason it is slow is because it's having to backup through ActiveSync to the PC which is notoriously slow, that's why you usually find installing GPS maps to a storage card is quicker through a reader/writer than through ActiveSync. Typically I'll find that backing up to storage card takes no longer than 10 mins, in the average setup I'd say maximum of 5 mins with all the junk (Whoops, I mean apps) I have installed.

Privateer wrote:
2) Is it definitely a complete backup? I.e. if I left the iPAQ for a month and it lost its battery power and thus was in a state similar to just after a hard reset, would the restore bring it back to the state it was in when the backup was taken?

Definately a complete backup. If you have selected the option to write to an EXE file, then if your iPAQ hard resets, you just go into File Explorer, tap the EXE file (the backup) and it will start restoring using a built-in-to-EXE-file mini Restore program.

Privateer wrote:
3) Is a backup to the SD/CF card any faster or better?

Much faster, around 5 mins on average for me and that's writing to a MicroDrive.

Privateer wrote:
4) As well as the iPAQ 3970, I?ve just bought an iPAQ 2210. Can Sprite Backup work OK on both PPC2003 and WM2003. Can the Sprite Backup PC Agent handle two or more PDAs using the same PC as a backup storage? Although obviously not at the same time.

I haven't tried it on the PC but I don't see why not. When I started out using two or more PPC's I named them differently. If you name them the same this means that if software requires the correct PPC Name for licensing then technically you can use it on multiple Pocket PC's, legally you need to check the license as morally it may be wrong to do so.

Privateer wrote:
5) Anybody else have any comments (good or bad) about Sprite Backup?

I have only had one issue and that was with my old 3850 and the EXE backup didn't restore. It appeared that although I didn't know it at the time, I had a corrupted registry and this is what SpriteSoft said was failing a restore. Whenever I have had to do a full restore since, it's worked very nicely. I always backup my PPC to MicroDrive BEFORE doing any updates as I know that I can always restore immediately to backup. Obviously any changes you make from since the backup will be lost as it will delete and restore everything in ROM.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, kartracer, oddsock, sland, and Dave,

Many thanks for all of your replies, comments and advice. They’re enough to convince me that Sprite Backup Premium Edition, is a useful product and definitely worth buying.

I’ve just ordered a Kingston 512MB SD card from Global Positioning Systems for the iPAQ 3970 to allow me to back up the PDA to the SD card. BTW, the card was £46.95 including VAT, which didn’t seem too bad. I hope that the new SD card works as well if not better than the Lexar that it will replace.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update.

Dear All,

Many, many, many thanks for your input and advice. I bought the upgrade licence for US$11.75 (£6.72 including UK VAT and Credit Card currency charges) on 28th September 2004 and I had to use the software to restore my iPAQ 2210 for the first time, last night, 14th October 2004.

I tried the 2210 and CF card on a magnetic mount, which didn’t cause a problem apart from the force that the two joined, which jarred the iPAQ into a dead state. I removed and replaced the battery with no joy. I tried again, also with no joy.

I then performed a hard reset. After which, CoPilot reinstalled itself for some strange reason, but not as a licensed product. I opened up file explorer, went to the storage card and ran Sprite backup. That became a 10 trial unlicensed product as well but it allowed me to run the restore, which took an amazingly short period of time (less than a minute after it had shutdown all processes).

After the required software reset, the iPAQ 2210 was just as before. CoPilot was the full licensed product, as was Sprite Backup. Memory-Map also made a welcome return. Everything worked!

If anybody reads this and hasn’t yet got Sprite Backup then get it now! It saved me a lot of hassle and time, without even having to go near a PC! Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Last edited by Privateer on Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,
Glad to hear that your restore went well.

The reason for CoPilot restoring itself is that you have the Quickstart option on your SD card. As you have Sprite Backup you can save a bit of space on the card by deleteing the CoPilot Quickstart files. Quoting the ALK support site: "If the QuickStart is copied onto your Storage Card and you need to remove it, simply delete the folder that contains it. The folder will be named either "2577", "4000", or "10003" depending on which type of Pocket PC you are using."
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the quickstart is a nightmare really as you still have to activate it pretty soon to continue using it...so sprite wins hands down to me when you are away from a computer for a few days.
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprite Backup v3.1.1 is now available, and is a free upgrade for current v3 users.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
I then performed a hard reset. After which, CoPilot reinstalled itself for some strange reason, but not as a licensed product. I opened up file explorer, went to the storage card and ran Sprite backup. That became a 10 trial unlicensed product as well but it allowed me to run the restore, which took an amazingly short period of time (less than a minute after it had shutdown all processes).

After the required software reset, the iPAQ 2210 was just as before. CoPilot was the full licensed product, as was Sprite Backup. Memory-Map also made a welcome return. Everything worked!

If anybody reads this and hasn’t yet got Sprite Backup then get it now! It saved me a lot of hassle and time, without even having to go near a PC! Thumbs Up

Regards,

That's great news Robert (about the restore), I still stick by my guns with Sprite Backup, it's a superb app and has saved my bacon gawd knows how many times! Pity about the magmount though, they do snap together at quite a force but I haven't had the 2210 hard reset like that before.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:

Regards,

That's great news Robert (about the restore), I still stick by my guns with Sprite Backup, it's a superb app and has saved my bacon gawd knows how many times! Pity about the magmount though, they do snap together at quite a force but I haven't had the 2210 hard reset like that before.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talkingbollox wrote:
Sprite Backup v3.1.1 is now available, and is a free upgrade for current v3 users.

Does any one know how to get the update, does one have to re order and is then not charged or what??
Confused
dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: