Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems linking pocket PC to TT GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems linking pocket PC to TT GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cardmagicman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Problems linking pocket PC to TT GPS Reply with quote

Hi,

Previously had a Toshiba e740 with wired TT Navigator. e740 packed up so got e800 which meant I had to buy new cable connector (lightersocket to hand held and to GPS receiver). However when I plug cable into bottom of Toshiba (before connecting GPS receiver) I get the message "Unidentified USB device. Enter the name of the device driver for the device. I had no info come with the cable and no help from the web site where purchased.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had driver with your e740, did you not?
You should have one with the e800 cable too.
I do not know hether the e740 and e800 use a different USB>serial controler. If they are the same you should be able to use the one with e740, if you still have it.
Ask the cable supplier or look for the driver from Tom Tom web site, if the cable is supplied by Tom Tom.
cardmagicman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thank you for your suggestion.
Your comment about previous drivers made me think. I purchased the TomTom 3 upgrade and installed it on to my new Toshiba e800. However, i hadn't installed TomTom 2 which was what I used on my e740. I reset everything, installed TT2 first and then the TT3 upgrade. Now when i insert the charger/serial cable the error message no longer appears.
Unfortunately though the story doesn't end there, the GPS receiver lights up but when i go to the status screen on the PC, the progress bar is greyed out and therefore not tracking.
One problem sorted only to find another!
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What com ports are available and which did you use?
cardmagicman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The ports listed were; -

Com4
Com3
USB Cable
Native IR
Serial cable on Com1
Bluetooth GPS

On my previous e740 it was set to serial cable on com1 which I have tried to no avail. I also tried USB cable(even though it isn't) again, no joy.

The receiver is obviously getting power through the serial cable as the light is flashing. Red at first, green after a little while. However the signal just isn't getting through to the e800.

I just don't know where to go from here. Some options would be; -

Buy new receiver (expensive if the fault does't lie there after all it did work on my old e740)

Buy new serial cable (don't know where to get one, searched for ages before only company that had any with the right connecters was global positioning systems.co.uk, but it no longer appears on their website even though I only bought it last week)

I have tried resetting the Toshiba and re-installing everything but still no joy.......

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: