Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fortuna Clip on with 4150 / TT3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fortuna Clip on with 4150 / TT3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Fortuna Clip on with 4150 / TT3 Reply with quote

Apologies for asking another connectivity question. I realise there are loads of these on here and I think I have read them all, but I still cant get it to work and there seems to be conflicting answers.

I have a 4150 with TT3 and received my Fortuna clip on today.

I have successfully paired the devices, but it seems whatever setting I use on TT3 I cant get any satellite info to show in the GPS status.

Ive tried setting TT3 to NMEA 0183v2 38400, SiRF 38400, and TomTom Wireless GPS to no avail which have all been suggested on various threads.

If I set it to COM6 the bluetooth light comes permenantly on on the clip-on, which has a also green light for a GPS signal

Am I doing something wrong, or what else can I try?

Thanks
Mark
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apart from the pairing, have you also connected from the Pocket PC to the serial port offered by the Fortuna?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
TC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Fortuna Clip on with 4150 / TT3 Reply with quote

MarkW wrote:
Apologies for asking another connectivity question. I realise there are loads of these on here and I think I have read them all, but I still cant get it to work and there seems to be conflicting answers.

I have a 4150 with TT3 and received my Fortuna clip on today.

I have successfully paired the devices, but it seems whatever setting I use on TT3 I cant get any satellite info to show in the GPS status.

Ive tried setting TT3 to NMEA 0183v2 38400, SiRF 38400, and TomTom Wireless GPS to no avail which have all been suggested on various threads.

If I set it to COM6 the bluetooth light comes permenantly on on the clip-on, which has a also green light for a GPS signal

Am I doing something wrong, or what else can I try?

Thanks
Mark

I configured a friends 4150/Clip-on with this:

NMEA 0183v2 38400
Bluetooth Serial Port COM8

I had to uninstall the 3.03 driver and load up the 2.07 from the downloads section on this site. I know it feels like your going backwards but I assure you this will work. Every now and then TT try to fix some issues with the GPS driver, unfortunately they fix it for some and break it for others, depending on what PDA you have
Memory Map
Nunners
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an iPaq 2210, with the fortuna gps....
I've also just upgraded to TomTom3 - and I can't get the PDA to talk to the GPS receiver either....

I've made sure I'm using GPS version 2.07, and tried all of the drivers, but none seem to work - any ideas anyone?

Cheers
Nunners
iPod 20Gb (3rdG)
Brodit car kit for everything
TC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this set-up also, and I use the 3.03 driver. It works great. Tell us a bit more.

Did you switch on the BT radio?
Can you connect to the clip-on from BT Manager short cut?
Have you checked the status of the BT signal?
In TT what GPS settings are you using: NMEA 0183v2 38400
Bluetooth Serial Port COM8 ?
Memory Map
MarkW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice Smile

I finally got it working by changing the Fortuna over to xt mode, and it just came to life straight away. Acquired 7 sats in around 30 mins, but subsequently seems to start up in <30 secs.

For reference I have TT3 on my 4150 set to "Tomtom Wireless GPS" and COM6. I havent tried to change it from this as it is working fine.
Nunners
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't actually change the mode, as I broke the button the other day. ST definitely works, as I get two green lights when it picks up the satellites....

I just can't work out what driver to use, and at which baud rate....

I connect to the clip-on via BT, connect to Com8 and have tried all the NMEA settings and TomTom GPS ones....
TC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broke the button! How did you do that, after all its that silly little pin hole slider thing?

Here's my advice:

Ipaq 2210:
NMEA 0183v2 38400

Ipaq 4150:
NMEA 0183v2 38400
Bluetooth Serial Port COM6 (sorry prepvious post had a typo)

What ever COM port the NMEA 0183v2 38400 will work
Memory Map
Nunners
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, after having to purchase a brandnew Fortuna BT Clip-on - due to my girlfriend driving over the old one, after I'd dropped it under the car Sad

I'm still trying to get them working....

I've successfully paired the devices, and initially things work fine, however after about a minute to whole lot freezes - no BT light flashing on the ClipOn, and no update on the position...

Is this a common problem, with either Fortuna or TTN3?
TC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that TT locks up if you put the maps on some manufactures SD cards. I only use Compact Flash so I've nothing to offer only what I've read. If your using a Sandisk SD card you might try a different one. Or may be just have a small part of the UK maps on the PDA, as a test to see if it still locks up
Memory Map
Nunners
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a Jessops SD Card,, which worked before, on TTN2.... is the manufactorer known to be a problem?
TC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A jessops card is going to be a rebadge model, I've no idea who really makes cards for jessops - It could be a Sandisk, but then againg the card worked with TT2 so I think the card is probably not the issue.

It would be good if you could try another application other than TT. I think GPSTweak might be helpful or GPSDash. Try these and see if you can maintain a connection longer than one minute.
Memory Map
Nunners
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've loaded GPSTweak and can't get it to talk to the GPS-BT... it keeps coming up with Error opening comm port.... tried all the options....

Having read a large number of posts on this subject, I'm coming to the thought that there's a fault between TT3 & Fortuna GPS BT....?

Any suggestions?
TC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nunners,

I'm a bit confused about what the problem is? Firstly you could get a connection but it dropped out after a while, now you can't get a connection on COM 8?

Also you say:
Quote:
I'm coming to the thought that there's a fault between TT3 & Fortuna GPS BT....?

But I'm not sure why you have come to this conclusion.

I like to think of a BT GPS working with TT3, has to achieve two things before the system will work (navigate to a destination you chose). 1. a Bluetoth connection has to be established from the PDA to the Clip-on and 2. TT3 has to be set-up to use the Bluetooth port offered by the IPaq

1. You need to make the BT radio on you Ipaq talk to the BT radio on Clip-on. You can think of this as a connection the two devices with a physical cable if you like. However to make the devices talk to each other you have to pair them. So my question here is:

a) have you paired the two devices?

if the ansewer is 'Yes',

b) have you connected the two together just using BT manager (forget TT3 and any other GPS application) on the Ipaq

if the ansewer is 'Yes',

c) does the connection last or just automatically drop out after 2, 10, 20 minutes?

the connection should stay up (both blue lights blinking for as long as they both have power) If the connection drops then I am not sure what the problem is, possibly a hardware fault.

2. The second thing to consider is how the dreaded TT GPS driver is configured to use the Bluetooth connection. E.g.

Ipaq 2210:
NMEA 0183v2 38400

Ipaq 4150:
NMEA 0183v2 38400
Bluetooth Serial Port COM6

I would try at least the 2.07 and 3.03 versions of the TT driver.

So does the BT connection still look OK or does it drop out 2, 10 ,20 minutes? Also I have seen the Clip-on light flicker so fast that it almost looks like it's permanently on. It shouldn't do this it should definitely blink 2/3 per sec. If it does this drop the BT connection in BT Manager and try again.

I hope this helps - I'm sure you know a lot of this stuff anyway but sometimes going through it again might just turn up something that will help.

Good luck
Memory Map

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: