Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RJ11 connection for Ipaq cigarette lighter junction cable
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RJ11 connection for Ipaq cigarette lighter junction cable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jitsukablue
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: RJ11 connection for Ipaq cigarette lighter junction cable Reply with quote

Hi,
I have an Ipaq 3970 and use a universal car mount. The problem is I can't plug both my BT Rikaline GPS receiver (6031-X5) into the cigarette lighter as both came with individual adapters.
My Ipaq cable has a RJ-11 (RJ11) connection halfway down the cable that could be used to connect to the Rikaline reciever (like the Tomtom car kits).
So does anyone know how to get hold of a cable like this (I've seen them for Tomtom recievers)? The jack for the rikaline is the very small size.
If there isn't a cable, I could buy a pack of RJ11 connections, and cut the rikaline cigarette lighter adapter off, but how hard is it to connect an RJ11 connection to the bare cable ends? Would I need a crimper?
Thanks in advance...
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, all you need is a crimper, and the Rikaline only needs to connect to power and ground (two wires, red and black). Catch a BT guy on the street and ask him to crimp it for you ;-)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
jitsukablue
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, need to find someone with a crimper as they are £30, and I don't fancy my chances bumping into my bt man/person! Is it possible to attach without a crimper, even if fiddly?
So what about reverse polarity problems, I mean you'd think they would have that protection, but they might not.... How will I know which of the 4 are power and ground? If I get a voltmeter, the outside of the jack (co ax?) is ground and the inside is live? More to the point how do I probe the inside of the worlds smallest jack? Honestly it's like a needle.

Thanks for your reply and sorry for all the questions (although, admit it, you love it!)

Rowan
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't try without cripming. It's not worth it. You can take an old telephone cord and abuse that if you want. Just solder the receiver plug onto the other end.

Yes, +5V is normally on the inside. There should be a diagram on your receiver stating that. Try not to mess up with the polarity. Otherwise you may see some smoke, and the receiver can they spend the rest of it's life as a door stopper.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
jitsukablue
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhh,
Yes, that is a much better option, find a RJ11 already conneted and solder away... thanks for your help. Although BT plugs are that strange rectangular plug, so I'll have to find an old modem cable...
Cheers
Bruce_Hall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: RJ11 connection for Ipaq cigarette lighter junction cable Reply with quote

I got a diagram for the RJ11 plug from TomTom support.
This is the pin-out:

1, +V power to GPS
2, RX, data from GPS
3, TX, data to GPS
4, Common ground

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: