Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Are there any issues with my choice of set up?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there any issues with my choice of set up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Artisan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Are there any issues with my choice of set up? Reply with quote

Hi, First post and hoping that you'll be able to help.
I've read through as many posts as I can and found the information excellent. I've now decided on my in car set up and would ask if anyone has had any problems or could advise on a better set up.

HP Ipaq 2210 + 256mb card
Tomtom 3
Rikaline GPS-6021-X6
Akron Holder

The only real issue I can see is the Rikaline, I've read that initial problems related to the ipaq 2210 have now been resolved, but has anyone else had problems?

Cheers
Art
gokhart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your 256MB, is it going to be CF or SD?

I read some issues on people using SD to store their maps etc. I used CF and have never had any problems.

The only other thing I have experienced has been with my Nokia 6230. Difficulty to get to bluetooth pairing with Nokia and Ipaq, but seems to be sorted now.
Artisan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: CF or SD Reply with quote

Thanks gokhart,

The Rikaline is a CF GPS receiver, does that need a special CF type 256 mb memory card?

Cheers
Art
TC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art,

Since the Rikaline is a CF GPS unit this will occupy the CF slot in the 2210. This means that CF memory is not an option for you if your are going to need maps while the GPS is inserted in the 2210 -which you will . Basically the memory you need is SD to store the TomTom maps. Be careful with you choice of card since a friend of mine had a Sandisk and it was useless for TomTom maps - TomTom kept locking up. He has since replaced the Sandiak with another make and all is well.

I believe many people have had problems with maps on Sandisk SD cards
Memory Map
gokhart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, listen to TC on this one. Check out the other discussions on SD cards. Alternativley, don't get the CF GPS but go for a bluetooth one perhaphs. I have both a TT Bluetooth which I use in the car and a Fortuna one which I use when wandering around on foot (getting lost). They have their own batteries and so don't drain the IPAQ like a CF GPS might. The only problem is that you have to attach the GPS receiver to something like your belt (which I do), or hang it around your neck (not too keen on that!). If you go down this route, you can save both your CF and SD slots, for things such as memory, wireless cards etc...
gokhart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot:

With the bluetooth GPS you can place the receiver anywhere in your car (e.g. front window or back window), in order to get good reception. Some folk have had problems with the front window (windscreen) as it is heat reflective, and they cannot get a signal through it. They have then stuck the GPS at the back window with no problems. With the CF GPS, you need to keep it beside you (as it is attached to the IPAQ) so that you can see the screen etc.. you there fore have less positioning options potentially.

ANyway, I am probably a bit biased as I've never had a CF GPS, there are probably loads of plus points I am not aware off (apart from everything is altogether in one nice handy unit).

Either way, good luck and let us know how you get on.
Artisan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Thanks for all the info. I've now purchased my Ipaq 2210 from Supertrader (£217.00 inc vat) and a 256mb SD card. The tt3 and Rikaline X6 I've ordered through PDA Pods and those shoud arrive in the next day or so. I'll post my experiences later. Bye the way how the hell do you fit the CF card!!!

Art
Artisan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Yes, I also got the Akron Powered mount which is a little larger than I anticipated but it seems ok, I'll let you know how that gets on aswell.

Art

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: