Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick up on the Ring Road north of Bristol, just east of Mobile:6102@50, at 08:30 going to SW19 3BL.

Sorry, edited to correct the destination postcode.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Last edited by DennisN on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very surprised if you don't see delays on the M4 from Reading onwards in to central London.

I'm only going as far as Stretford so can't do any long range stuff that it is on route, but I shall pretend I am going to London as well to just to keep you company!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First two screenshots - I will get better ones in the morning at rush hour and add to photobucket - http://www.photobucket.com/TommyCooperHDTraffic

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So select a route now, switch off and reboot with a route ready and waiting - see if that does any different. Don't you ever sleep? It's past your bedtime.

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Dennis - missed your reply, I was asleep.

Anyway, I can replicate the above over and over again BUT what I can't do is get the sidebar or the show traffic on route to take in to account delays more than 50 miles away for a split second and then remove them. It appears as if when the incidents get ignored/discarded/removed the traffic bar and traffic on route screens have not updated, they update afterwards.

So it looks like we are stuck with reduced functionality HD Traffic that can quite happily send me across the M62 and down the M6 when there is carnage around Birmingham, when I would be better off going the other way across the M62 and either sown the M1 or A1. This would also affect the routing from the Midlands to London - there could be major issues on the M1/M25 and I would be quite happily heading that way when the M42/M40 would be a better route.

I once thought HD Traffic was brilliant and a great improvement over RDS-TMC. Now I would be better off with a TMC receiver as at least it would show me incidents that greatly affect the choice of route, even if the reception is poor in some areas and the information is not as up to date or accurate. I might consider getting rid of the XL LIVE now and getting the Columbus Sat Nav for the car which I believe has RDS-TMC functionality.

Shame on you TT - as usual you manage to remove functionality and features from devices and call it an improvement!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my experience today.
Departure at 0830am, BS16 7FG (Bristol) to SW19 3BL (Wimbledon). 115 miles.

GO520T. Had no RDS-TMC connection all the way to M25!! It lost it again as soon as I left the M25 on the way home. Grrr (and shows why I never trusted RDS-TMC before, when that was all I had).

Carminat TomTom with van radio RDS-TMC connection (immediate connection always).
Two incidents - 55 miles, M4 J13 and 66 miles, M4 J12. Second one disappeared after 30 minutes. When I had gone about 50 miles, up came Roadworks on A329M.

GO550 Live. Started with nothing, simply 3 min delays due to busy roads. After 2 miles, showed the roadworks at M4 J13 52 miles ahead (as first incident shown in Carminat above). It subsequently offered me a five minute faster route which I accepted - it was slow traffic about half a mile from my destination and the reroute bypassed it. When I got there, I ignored it and it didn't harm my arrival time.

Coming back, as soon as I did Nav to Home, it showed roadworks M4 J13 (as above) at 62 miles ahead. So the limit there wasn't 50 miles.

Radio Five Live reported no traffic incidents on my route.

This is as I feared, no worthwhile traffic on today's travels. I shall continue to try and monitor it.

When I first switched on 550 Live, it showed Birmingham area traffic which reduced quickly, shrinking back northwards. I was puzzled that it should show Birmingham when I was nowhere near there? Later, when I had set the route, the traffic map showed no incidents all the way beyond Swindon to Wimbledon, BUT showed incidents all round Southampton, which is definitely more than 50 miles away. Confused

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis - I reckon Southampton is around 50-60 miles away from Bristol as the crow flies, about the same distance away as halfway between Newbury and Reading on the M4.

I think the number of current incidents has something to do with it as well, as in the evenings I can get traffic data for London briefly at power on before the TT removes them, whereas at rush hour Birmingham is about as far as it goes.

Whatever is happening, at some point the range has been reduced by about a third, and it was that last third that would determine which route to take on long journeys from some locations. From other locations it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference.

If you read the TT Whitepaper on HD Traffic, they state
Quote:
TIME-DEPENDENT NAVIGATION
Together with the highly accurate real-time traffic information, historic predictive
speed information is necessary to guarantee precise routing, accurate time of arrival
forecasts and reliable delay information for jams along the planned route. For road sections along a route that are far ahead of the current vehicle position, the use of
real time traffic data doesn’t make much sense, since the travel time may vary
change before the driver has reached those road sections. So far, time-dependent
speed profiles assigned to the network graph are a good first approximation in case
predictive data are not available. The concept of time-dependent speed profiles has
been developed and implemented under the name of IQ Routes.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe TT should start listening to their user's requirements instead of trying to be clever ?

Fortunately my built in jobby shows the whole country via TMC traffic so when I'm travelling from London to Worcester I can decide early whether my route is M4 or M40.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Maybe TT should start listening to their user's requirements instead of trying to be clever ?

Fortunately my built in jobby shows the whole country via TMC traffic so when I'm travelling from London to Worcester I can decide early whether my route is M4 or M40.

I don't think "listening to their user's" is part of the TomTom company ethos
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I guess it's not beyond belief that Falkirk might come back saying TT claim to have never heard of it before and is there any evidence, so maybe all is not yet lost.

As you say "Over to you Falkirk".

Thanks Dennis, I am here! Smile

I suffer from the same issues that everyone here has been discussing at length. When I initially turn my GO 950 on, I get traffic incidents from a lot farther than where I live (Morpeth, NE61) for a split second, then reduces down to the borders region to the north, Carlisle to the west and around Northallerton to the South!

As mentioned before, I used to be able to get Edinburgh and Leeds traffic but than has now gone Sad

I have no other 'inside' information like Dennis is possibly alluding to other than I do know this 'change' in HD traffic radius was made some time ago.

Maybe if enough customers put in complaints to TT customer support then they may reconsider. There may be technical limitations that mean TT had to reduce the radius of incidents at the server end.

Steven

iPhone 12
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:

Maybe if enough customers put in complaints to TT customer support then they may reconsider. There may be technical limitations that mean TT had to reduce the radius of incidents at the server end.

I think what is most irritating is that they never come clean about the reasons for these changes.

If they treated their customers as reasonable, intelligent people and just TOLD US what the technical difficulties were, we could accept it and move on.

But their insistence in disguising everything in a gloss of "new, improved" marketing hype, just makes us think they COULD change things if only they could only be made to understand the issue!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
I have no other 'inside' information like Dennis is possibly alluding to

Not just me - Andy said the same. I was alluding to Page three of this thread... Confused

29th June, 8:43am, falkirk81 wrote:
pottsy,

I have got Tomtom to look at this issue for you, and us all!

Can you provide me with your device information

Settings - Status and information - Version information

Can you copy ALL the info that is on that screen and paste it here!

And can you give me a brief version of the issue(s) you are facing. These will get passed straight onto the people that need to know!!

Steven

29th June 8:01pm, falkirk81 wrote:
I will pass on all the comments here and see if I can find out about the whole 'distance' issue for the HD traffic.

It did use to be around 100miles as I could 'see' Edinburgh from where I live in Morpeth, Northumberland.

Now, it is limited to about 70miles for me!

I will see what information I can get and let you all know!

Steven

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really annoying. Grrrr It is just over a month ago that I renewed my annual subscription to Live Services, which now last until 17 July 2012.

I don't give a monkey's about Safety Alerts, Fuel Prices, Weather and QuickGPSFix, which are respectively rubbish, rubbish, useless and worthless.

The reason I take up Live Services is for HD Traffic and Local Search. If I had known I'd lose half of my desired services like this, no way would I have renewed.

I shall now raise a support ticket with TomTom, referring them to this and the other thread. Is there any point in doing so?

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little further down page three of this thread "pottsy" sent the 1005 back for a refund, so I guess his questions weren't as important, still doesn't detract from the issue in hand re HD Traffic range reduction - Mike
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

what I was meaning was that yes I can report issues and concerns like this directly to Tomtom, that's well know, but my point was that I personally know nothing more on this issue than anybody else does on here.

I am yet to have a reply to my questions on the reduction on HD traffic officially from Tomtom.

Thankfully for my work I never have a journey of longer than 50 miles, but when I travel socially, my choice of route is usually dictated by events farther than 50miles from the start point, but I have to decide after 14 miles whether I travel South via A1, A69, Carlisle and the M6, or stay on the A1 and then A1 (M).

Steven

iPhone 12

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 7 of 27

Jump to: