Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 8110 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 8110 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
Just wonder if you maybe better looking at the cheaper 2110Max similar features but not as expensive. Depends if you would miss Hands Free

yeah, bluetooth is kind of the point of a gps unit. I find drivers with those earbuds lose a lot of awareness and get really dangerous.

I'm one of those wallies who wants to put mp3+maps+phone all in one device to clear clutter.

saw a couple of garmin units in people's cars today - oh so legible even from 15feet away *sigh*.
gwentvillan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just ordered the Navigon 8100 on Saturday there is now a 3 to 4 week delay on orders :-(
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's getting very mixed reviews on Amazon's German website - half of them give it a score of 1 out of 5! The main problem seems to be a continual need to re-boot it.

--

Cheers

Dave
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really? never had to reboot mine yet?

Are we talking about the same device. Amazon.de has 3 out of 5 stars

Where have you seen the 1 out of 5 overall score? Surprised
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Crashes Reply with quote

I think as we demand more features, just like our PCs, we can expect more crashes! Tomtom, Navman, and Navigon seem to feature them, Garmin seem pretty stable (but with the lowest feature-set)

As an ex-Navigon user tempted back by the 15% voucher, 2 year qtyly map updates and lane advisor pro, together with the speed it seems to possess looking at jonandmarkuks videos etc. - so just waiting for mine to arrive now. Around 3 days from the Navigon site, and only around £305 with the discount codes
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you could find with the Navigon shop is they don't send an e-mail on dispatch, it just happened that when I mailed them they replied with the UPS tracking number and I got the unit the very same day. Laughing

Very tempted to buy the leather case they now have on the site, just unsure how much it adds to the overall size as the current cover makes the GPS easy to fit in my trousers or coat pocket.

If anyone has ordered the leather case for it can you let me know if it's a snug fit and doesn't add too much to the pocketablity of the unit.

I love the GPS, disappointed that I missed out on the 15% off through my rush to order but I did get the GPS within days of it being launched Smile
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Fun Reply with quote

Quote:
I love the GPS, disappointed that I missed out on the 15% off through my rush to order but I did get the GPS within days of it being launched

And that's half the fun!

If I get a case at some point, will let you know!
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I'm amazed at the number of hits the gallery pictures for the Navigon have had. Since it was created early this month it's had over 8000 hits and I can only assume a huge amount of hits have come from PocketGpsWorld readers.

Wow Laughing
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just asked, but in the wrong forum Embarassed : Sorry

Anyone know which english-speaking TTS voices are provided/available on the 8110 please?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
I've just asked, but in the wrong forum Embarassed : Sorry

Anyone know which english-speaking TTS voices are provided/available on the 8110 please?

Like the x980t you only get the one, but I can't tell you what it is other than it's a female voice. I have seen on a German forum that Navigon have released to the forum and will make the none TTS versions available so you can have the same voice which comes on the 7110.

Also just worked out from the forum that a few bugs will be fixed with a software update in June and looking at the Freshmaps demo on Naviletter a new map should be due sometime in June too.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: forums Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk what forums do you use for Navigon? Would be interested to look around there too...

With the unit already on Q2 2008 Navteq mapping, that seems a very quick release for Navigon (...for anyone!) looks like they've got their map decoding sorted if that is the case - will look forward to truely "freshmaps" at last!
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
really? never had to reboot mine yet?

Are we talking about the same device. Amazon.de has 3 out of 5 stars

Where have you seen the 1 out of 5 overall score? Surprised

No, I don't mean the overall score - just that some individual reviewers gave it that. Today the overall score has bumped up a bit with a couple of new 5-star reviews... weird how the opinions seem to be quite "polarised" but then some reviewers are perhaps scoring it poorly solely on the rebooting issue and ignoring all its good aspects. If that's the case, it's hardly a fair assessment!

Glad to hear you're having no problems with yours! Did you suss out the apparent "colour coding" on the TMC screens?

--

Cheers

Dave
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really had chance to look into the TMC as yet.

Have been reading the german forums and little and found that this 'rebooting' people are talking about is a known issue with the view 3d freezing and the only correction is to reboot.
So it seems the devices are not rebooting by themselves or anything like that. Not sure why I don't seem to have come across the problem?

Also I think it's unfair to give the unit a low score when it's a known issue that Navigon are fixing, if the device has been out for months and Navigon were ignoring the issue then I could understand the complaints. Rolling Eyes

It's a new device so there is bound to be bugs that need to be ironed out. Maybe the bug only happens on longer usage?.

From what I can tell Navigon should be providing a fix early June. Question
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:

Not sure why I don't seem to have come across the problem?

Might be something peculiar with the Germany mapping -perhaps they contain more detail, leading to out-of-memory problems.

jonandmarkuk wrote:

Also I think it's unfair to give the unit a low score when it's a known issue that Navigon are fixing,

I would agree up to a point. But, as with so many other SatNav makers, any bug that requires something as drastic as a reboot is not only a major issue, it really should have been caught and addressed during testing.

jonandmarkuk wrote:

From what I can tell Navigon should be providing a fix early June. Question

And how will they be supplying it to owners?

--

Cheers,

Dave
chris_ah1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will be doing all updates via their 'Fresh' app. I think it handles all the updates for the system - either embedded in a map update or standalone.

John - good to see you're getting so many hits. If you want to get even more, rename the gallery to navigon 8110 unofficial manual, and take pics of the different 2D+3D screen views without routes (since you already have the pics with routes) and then pics of all the settings menu pages for the device and their options. You will end up with a bagillion hits because let's face it, the navigon manual is sparse on what features are in the software regarding configuration.

For instance, most people read gpsmagazine because the screenshots for menus and maps are so detailed in comparison to the manual - many think that site should be the unnoficial manual for tomtom and nuvi.

Reading the amazon stuff I must agree with the road labels being not the best not only in terms of gray on gray but also in the way they move about and are uneven - the road name boxes on the bottom though is ace. Far better than garmin and tomtom IMO.

As for restarts - it's a shame people are getting the issues despite the extra ram - I wonder how POI-warner is going to fare given it's leak issues?

I must admit restarts do sort of nullify all the good points - but only if the issue is left unresolved.

It is a very expensive device and without the hallowed Zagat POIs....so people do have to think hard whether they need the bells and whistles. I would be a happy nuvi 760 user if it allowed me to avoid bits of the route without using via waypoints, but alas there will never be a golden apple.

Until I find the golden apple, I think I'll just learn roads the old fashioned way.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 7 of 24

Jump to: