Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Origin Technologies
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Origin Technologies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I see what your saying.
rushkins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to say this but my TT510 does recalculate within about 5 seconds without having to ask it. It determines whether it is better for you to turn around or take the next turning.

CRAIGPENTON

I agree with you about the number of safety vans in Staffordshire as I live in Tamworth, therefore I find it very useful to have knowledge of where they could be just to keep you aware, otherwise you would be driving around 5mph below the speed limit whether it is in town or a rural area.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know i haven't a Pogo but would like to say -

Nuttynurse wrote:
Quote:
However, instead of turning right I turned left. I wanted to see if it would recalculate, it didn't, it kept telling me instead to turn around at the next safe place and this went on for miles.

Not rubbing it in (Honest) but the Nuvi will recalculate by the next GPS reading sometimes a matter of yards, never any hesitation its guaranteed.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if nothing else we are all giving a variety of honest opinions that will hopefully add to any future buyer decision. And after all when it comes down to it really there are strengths and weakness in each unit. So nothing lost and everything gained.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep agreed, I won't get the same dedication to speed cameras on the Nuvi, thats why I'm using the DS alongside, although it looks more and more to finding a replacement, like you I feel a dedicated camera "hunter" is a must as well as not getting lost. I have all the PGPSW camera downloads but need all the DS voice-overs.

Do you know of any other "detectors" that have the Specs calculator as in the DS?
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigpenton wrote:

Interestingly when I purchased the B2 a few years back it was also advertised with mobile sites ... it never has!

I had the original model Origin released, and then when that got broken replaced it with the b2. Origin have always stated in their literature that they would not put mobile cameras into their GPS database. The only option they provide for detecting mobile cameras is the laser detector.
craigpenton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kartracer wrote:
Origin have always stated in their literature that they would not put mobile cameras into their GPS database. The only option they provide for detecting mobile cameras is the laser detector.

Well to be fair it was a long time ago but I'm still fairly certain that literature around at the time I purchased stated that they were going to add this to their database (from memory I believe it was going to be categorised as accident blackspots).

Either way I am a huge B2 fan and the absence of mobile sites has not been a problem for me as I have already stated. I think the more pressing point for many others is that the Drive is being marketed as highlighting "Mobile Laser Sites" and it doesn't.
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN Asked:
Pardon me butting in folks, but what's so special about this Pogodrive? Can somebody with both it and TT GO tell me why it's supposed to be better than the TT? ........Am I missing something important?
Sorry for the late posting this reply to your question.....

DennisN, I dont believe it's a straightforward "one is better than the other" situation. Plus's and minus on both.
I've used a Origin Bluei and a B2, TT Navigator on a PDA and a Go910. I have subscribed to the Origin B2 DB and the PGPSW cameras.

Although I havent yet seen the PogoDriv, I can comment on the above items. From the comments already made it appears the Pogo camera SW is the same (although cosmetically different i.e. colour) as on the B2. Also that the PogoDrive uses the NavTeq maps. So TT comes out ahead here.

Origin's camera DB is much more advanced than the POI's used on this site and other downloads. I do subscribe to the PGPSW download. I find far too many out of date entries. That doesnt occur that often with the Origin DB. Setting up personalised POI's on a TT910 is straight forward and you can manipulate them easiy. I havent seen that functionality referred to as possible on the new Pogo. So 50\50 here.

The directional warning on the Origin devices has always been spot on. A Pogo winner for me.

The Origin SW can take allowance of current speed approaching the camera location giving you a consistant time to react should you get caught out. Again Pogo a winner.

Using POIs on a TT910, I still get warned about cameras not on the route (despite activating this option) particularly those on nearby roads when on Mways. This can be excluded on the Origin setup. Another Pogo winner.

Re missing temp or handheld Radar trap on Origin. I have recd warnings with the B2 but was gettting far more on the POI DB's. IMHO far too many of the POi's are false or were incorrect. So much so that I delete these from any downloads. Not an issue for me.

BTW, you can record a missing camera the Origin Dev then upload them. If they are confirmed then will appear on a later update. They use a cross check policy of proving these locations. I have had this happen in less that a week.

Mapping, I wouldnt expect the Pogo 'major Roads' of Europe option to be anywhere near as good as the cross border TT910 SW. It does use the NavTeq maps. But then the Major Road option from TT was also a little flakey. TT a winner here on the 910 with full cross border detailed mapping.

So... IMHO, you get what you pay for and I dont believe we have arrived at that point where one device that can do both camera warnings and navigation to the highest standard.

If the Pogo unit uses the same B2 Origin SW, it has to be the best for camera gps warnings
But....
I believe the enhanced mapping features of the TT910 will be far superior than the NavTeq offering.

So it'll be best of breed for me, I'd probably now have the TT910 for the excellent navigation and personalsed POI's BUT....the Pogo Alert for the cameras.

Jury still out on the PogoDrive!

Anyway, it's time I got a new toy...... Wink
SatMap
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have previously said, the Carmera Detection side of the Pogo was the priority and the Satnav side a Bonus, I had believed the Mobile Detection was also a feature and did and do feel this is misleading. The inclusion of mobile detection would have given me everything I needed and I don't really understand why this is such an omission from a otherwise excellent detector. Afterall, would you say leave out all gatzo cameras. It would be interesting to know their thinking on this. By the time I get back from my holiday I will have had far more time to judge the overall quality and reliability of its camera detection software.

If I sound as if I have been over critical of the Satnav feature, then I would apologise for that. Having just used it locally perhaps gives a false impression of whether its accurate or not. Knowing roads around here tends to lead you to thinking I know better, or I wouldn't go that way. In unfamiliar territory however, even if the pogo takes me a slightly longer way round I would still be grateful if it got me there. I understand that Navteq maps are good so does the implementation on different platforms, TT, Nuvi have any significant affect on how they perform. I'm not talking about the additional features and option installed, just why say the Nuvi will recalculate after a few yards whilst the pogo might say repeatedly turnaround. Anyway, again I will have had more time to be a better judge by the end of my holiday rather than at the start of it.
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This recalculate feature - one of my earlier posts I didn't explain further. Both my TT and PogoDrive both perform route recalculation should you stray off its recommended path. In almost all circumstances, the TT performed this function very quickly, only after a few seconds of missing a turn. In my limited use of the PogoDrive, it also performed route recalculation only after a few seconds, so both units compare nicely.

Now, there are times when using a certain profile (be it fastest route or shortest distance), that the SatNav logic will insist of you turning around, as in the case of fastest time, you want to get to your destination as quickly as possible, and the minor A road you may happen to be on will only allow 50 or 60 mph, whereas turning you around to get you to a 70 mph major A road or motorway is *at that point in time* still a quicker route. I have also found that this occurs more often if you are in an area you live in and therefore know the roads around you, and you decide to go another way to the same destination (more than one way to skin a cat?) because it may "feel" quicker. But to the SatNav's logic the way you have chosen is the shortest distance, even though its profile is set to fatest time. And shortest distance is usually coupled with slower road speeds.

Try setting a 50 mile route on your SatNav, perform a Quickest Time route calculation to the destination, then perform a Shortest Distance route calculation, and in both instances, write down the the estimated mileage and time. You will find in almost all circumstances, time will increase by 10 to 15 minutes on average. And I think those times are conservative too!

Now if only we could have a SatNav profile that could perform fastest time AND shortest distance logic in one hit.........
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BB, I'm sure its just my lack of experience with route planning to blame rather than the pogo. A much longer journey coming up tomorrow and a much more experienced satnav users returning next week.
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi NN

Everything has a learning curve - I'm still finding things out myself too. I look forward to using my PogoDrive on a regular basis, SatNav included. Got some journeys to London next week to prove a point.

I look forward to you in-depth review of the PogoDrive when you return. Have a good one NN

BB
Snoopydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have been following the discussion on the Pogo Drive, my question is as a DS user who will probably need to change for something else,what is peoples view on the Pogo Alert?
I see on the websites that the Pogo Alert has a comprehensive range of camera detections including mobile?
I have a fitted dvd sat nav and only require camera detection and while I am pleased with the DS at the moment (like most people I am concerned that the DS will no longer be udated) I am also looking for a system to replace it!!

Regards
Snoopydog
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PogoAlert is the Camera Detector part of the PogoDrive, but with a laser detector as well (PogoDrive does not have this). Also the PogoAlert has not been released yet!

From what I can see, the Alert is the same as the Speed Camera only part of the Drive, and therefore should be excellent at what it does. My only thoughts are that as the unit itself is smaller than the Drive, obviously the screen is smaller. How this translates to visibilty once in the car I am unsure.

Looks like once the Alert is launched, we need a Guinea Pig to buy and test. (I've done my bit with the Drive).

Any takers??
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQKing wrote:

Now if only we could have a SatNav profile that could perform fastest time AND shortest distance logic in one hit.........

Well ALL Sat Navs will work as you want if your journey only involves 1 route choice. Joker

I believe that is the only condition that satisfies shortest and fastest without invoking travel in more than 4 dimensions. And we don't want to go there - the manufacturers have enough trouble routing in 2 dimensions (3 if you include time) as it is.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 6 of 18

Jump to: