Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 720 or Garmin 760?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 720 or Garmin 760?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One further note about Tyre. You need to be quite precise when using with Google Earth. Zoom in close enough that your via is placed dead center of the road. If you're off even by a tiny bit, you may get unexpected routes (double back, unable to navigate, etc.). And do note that altho Google maps can be dragged about for positioning, they cannot when used within Tyre.
colossus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy. This sounds great. I'll download it have a look when I get home. As someone whose computer skills run as far as turning it on am I going to find this easy? It sounds like exactly the right thing. Presumably you can enter your start and end points and if it comes up with a route you don't like you can drag it to the road you want to be on? Sorry if that's a silly question. I'm sure it will become clear when I download it. Judging by the seeming fragility of the tomtom software I would be a little worried about putting things onto it from other programmes. The idea of having to back the tomtom on the computer in case something goes wrong and then having to reload it when it does go wrong fills me with dread. No doubt there are threads somewhere on this site covering all this. Scares the willies out of me!
colossus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look at google maps. It's amazing! Never looked at it before. Is it possible to download routes from here onto the garmin or just tomtom?
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entire nuvi line can interface with Google or Mapquest. In addition the 700's can also send routes remotely (no direct computer connection) from MSN maps.live. I can send routing info for a new store, restaurant, etc. directly to the nuvi using just a webmail address. Route is then sent wirelessly (via FM signal) directly to the nuvi, even if it's physically located 100 or 1000 miles away.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
Tho it still won't optimize your route for maximum efficiency. You'll have to manually move destination points around to find the fastest route.

Quite true...

On another matter, I forgot to post last night re: the map coverage - yes the Garmin does cover some extra central European countries (major roads only on some):

Quoted map coverage for Garmin 760T:
Quote:

Great Britain and Republic of Ireland
Great Britain: Full Coverage
Isle of Man:
Northern Ireland: Full coverage
Ireland: Full coverage
Channel Islands:
Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden
Denmark: Full coverage
Finland: Full coverage
Norway: Full coverage
Sweden: Full coverage
Germany
Germany: Full Coverage
France and Benelux
France: Full coverage
Belgium: Full Coverage
Netherlands: Full Coverage
Luxembourg: Full Coverage
Italy, Austria, Switzerland, and Liechtenstein
Italy: Full coverage
Austria: Full Coverage
Switzerland: Full Coverage
Liechtenstein: Full Coverage
Spain and Portugal
Spain: Full coverage
Portugal: Full coverage (Continental Portugal not including Azores and Madeira)
Andorra:
Gibraltar:
Czech Republic
Czech Republic: Bradlec, Brno, Dalovice, Josefuv Dul, Karlovy Vary, Kosmonosy, Mlada Boleslav, Ostrava, Prague, Praha, Plzen and Repov
Greece
Greece: Athens
Eastern Europe
Estonia: Detailed coverage of Tallinn
Latvia: Detailed coverage of the capital city of Riga
Lithuania: Detailed coverage of the capital city of Vilnius
Poland: Full Coverage
Slovakia: Detailed coverage of Bratislava and Kosice
Hungary: Detailed coverage of the Greater Budapest area, the Balaton area, Debrecen, Miskolc, Eger and Tokaj
Slovenia: Detailed coverage of Ljubljana and Maribor
Croatia: Detailed coverage of Zagreb, Rijeka and Pula, Split, Selin, Zadar, Dubrovnik and the Island of Krk
Bulgaria: Detailed coverage of capital city of Sofija
Romania: Detailed coverage of Bucuresti (Bucharest) and Timisoara
Moldova: Major Roads Only
Serbia & Montenegro: Major Roads Only
Albania: Major Roads Only
Macedonia: Major Roads Only
Ukraine: Major Roads Only

Quoted map coverage for TomTom 720T:
Quote:

Detailed seamless map fully covering Great Britain, Republic of Ireland, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, France, Monaco, Italy, San Marino, Vatican City, Spain, Portugal, Andorra, Belgium, The Netherlands, Luxemburg, Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland. Street network coverage: 99%

So full marks to Garmin for both the coverage and the full listing of what they do and don't cover.
To get that coverage on the TT you would need the "West+Central Europe" map.

Oh and if I haven't mentioned it already, the Garmin's built-in POIs beat the TomTom's hands down!

But that display..... Mad
colossus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[But that display..... Mad[/quote]

Yes the photos you posted show the tomtom display to be much better. Are the POIs on the 706 much better than they are on my i3? i3 ones are pretty pathetic so I hope so.

Andy, is the proceedure for using google maps with the garmin very similar to the methods talked anout on the Itineries question further down the tomtom forum page? Will Tyre work the same way on garmin? Haven't spotted a relevant question on the garmin pages yet.

Just looked again at Hemlocks' method using houghi.org and realised that that is just for tomtom. Is there a similar link for garmin?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea, I'm afraid. I've only been playing with the Garmin since Monday and haven't even worked out if I can switch the display of POIs off!
I keep seeing these little tiny icons, which if I really squint and get up close reveal themselves to be things like pizza slices!
But the TomTom doesn't even attempt to split food/restaurants up into types. It just has one big section, and that only seems to have Pizza Hut, McDonalds and KFC (and I'm a veggie!).

But then there are plenty of third-party POI files about (including from here).
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garmin 700 doesn't require a 3rd party solution, thus has no need for Tyre. Here's a neat little trick for US nuvi 700 owners that use MSN2. (Don't try this on a TomTom. It won't work on any of them)

Say I want to drive to Soledad, Rivas, Nicaragua. (It's a spa). I only have City Navigator North America map. It doesn't include Mexico, or any part of Central America. I'm only going once, don't want to buy an additional map. Go to maps.live and find the location. Send to your hotmail (email) address.
In about 10 minutes or so, you now have a drivable route all the way there remotely sent to your nuvi. Very nice feature.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colossus, when you see the displays in person, you'll realize how much sharper the image is on the 760 compared to the TT720. The reason? Garmin uses superior anti-aliasing features with their display. Be sure to note the TomTom jaggies in comparison.
colossus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatorguy, can you give a how to boil an egg guide for hoe to transfer a route from google maps onto the 760? I an in the uk and can't use MSN. If you can I will order the 760 tonight!!! Stop it!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're saying the Garmin 760 map looks completely different to the Nuvi 300 map?

Please post a screenshot!

You haven't commented on the comparison pictures I posted at all....
You can't possibly say those are sharper.

(a shame I have only just learnt how to get a screen dump from the Garmin)

Never seen a "jaggie" on my TomTom...

Hope this isn't getting personal.... No-one was more surprised than me how bad the display was when I got my hands on this Garmin. Up till then I assumed they would be broadly similar.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 Pages long and nobody has commented upon map positional lag relative to your true position which is very easy to see if no route is planned, also the appearance/ rendering of roundabouts look like small blobs until you are actually at the junction - just a few observations from the times I have tried the Garmin devices - Mike
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
5 Pages long and nobody has commented upon map positional lag relative to your true position which is very easy to see if no route is planned, also the appearance/ rendering of roundabouts look like small blobs until you are actually at the junction - just a few observations from the times I have tried the Garmin devices - Mike

I agree completely on the blobs at roundabouts I thought it was just me who did not like it and was also one of the reasons for buying a Tomtom.

This thread reminds me so much of the type you get on American based sat nav forum websites were its all gets a bit personal as which is best .
At the end of the day both will get you there!!! also there is no perfect system as yet .
It really is just down to personal preference!!! myself I looked the Garmin and just did not feel comfortable with the layout of the screen but that does not mean the Garmin is a bad sat nav it was just not the one for me
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No intent to be personal. Sometimes I forget how strong we Americans come on. I agree, both the TT and Garmin devices are top shelf.
To be honest, I wish Garmin would add selective road avoidance as they did offer it in earlier devices. I think all I was trying to point out in the beginning is that the Garmin 700's are far from the crippled, dumbed-down PND's they are often portrayed to be. And yes, the 700 screens are much improved from the 300 series. If you look at the two side by side, (the 720 and 760), you will see what I refer to.
colossus
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never expected this to provoke so much response when I first posted! 5 pages all very ineresting but still not really any the wiser. Lag on garmin is worrying but doesn't seem to be a major problem on my i3. Software problems with tomtom are worrying but maybe backing things up stops that being a problem. How do you back up tomtom on a pc?

At least your not Australian Gatorguy. Out of here

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: