Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Should we always drive with headlights on?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Should we always drive with headlights on?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we always drive with headlights on?
Yes
32%
 32%  [ 16 ]
No
68%
 68%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 50

alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix repeat after me NEED MORE COFFEE Laughing Laughing

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:

my
Quote:

must be well over a million miles

Out of interest, how many of your daylight miles have you used dipped headlights and how many accidents with and without? You may just swing me to a possible yes.........

Unless the weather is bad i haven't used dipped headlights in daylight hours, only for the reason that nobody else does and there is no law to have lights on.

However if the daylight is dull, overcast, drizzle, rain or any other type of "reduced vision" condition, i put my side or dipped lights on.
I find that a large amount of drivers don't even have lights on in the rain and that often includes the police.

This is part of my argument to saying YES to lights as i'm sure then that car and lighting manufacturers would have to put more advances into lighting if they were used more as part of the law and became more of an irritation if not used correctly.

Auto detection lighting i.e. able to ID light, fog, rain etc can't be that complicated, it's just a case that manufacturers can't be bothered to include it, but could, if there was more of a reason to do so.

Back to the question above -
I have covered a very large amount of night driving and unless the conditions are grim, i don't reduce my speed, i have only been involved in four accidents in 38 years of which only one was my fault (doing ** around a bend on top of about a foot of packed snow and hitting the end of a queue of vehicles) i'm certainly not known for going slow (more the opposite) and all the accidents were in daylight with no lights on.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just seems futile. It seems that in my attempts to get you all out of the dark and start to drive properly, Very Happy another nobody comes along and votes 'no'. I think there are those that go around plonking their monica on any poll they find without reading the arguments, STOP IT NOW! If them nobodies took the time to read these post they would see I'm right and your all wrong, end of discussion now press 'YES'.

Subilminal message,= YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
...This is part of my argument to saying YES to lights as i'm sure then that car and lighting manufacturers would have to put more advances into lighting if they were used more as part of the law and became more of an irritation if not used correctly...

Manufacturers are already having to put DAY TIME RUNNING lights in new cars.

Ever since I started driving with my lights on during the day I don't get hassled so much, I get given a little more space, and near misses are a thing of the past, Just doesn't happen anymore. Mabye its the subtle changes in my driving but fact remains that people do see me coming.

The only thing that hasn't changed but has got worse is the idiots that just take chances, and you can see it in their gormless faces. They pull out quick only to find you are a little closer than they thought and you get the shocked and stunned face Shocked , then you get the frantic, Mad mad pannic face as they hunch over the wheel in an attempt to pull away quicky! You can only shake you head in wonder. If you then flash them you get the finger. Sad

GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
..........if you were put headlights on at all times then this would not happen and a mortorist would just see a vehicle with lights traveling towards them.

If i see lights coming towards me, i take more notice, even if everybody had lights on, if you had any desire to stay alive you would do a double take if you saw moving lights.

Quote:
also as many emergency vehicle use flashing main beam then it may harm them as they would not standout as much as they do now

I am always amazed at the amount of drivers who don't see emergency vehicle's flashing, sometimes directly behind them with "tones" on, so i don't see this making a large difference.

Quote:
what do you mean 8 spotlights ive got 16 plus headlights hehe Laughing Laughing Laughing

What is it with lorry drivers and lights?
I see them coming out of the port looking like Christmas trees with so many lights i can't count them, i saw one the other week with blue neons around all sides of the rear container, it looked as if it must have had it's own mini power station on board. Shocked

Quote:
but on a motorway there absolutly no need for the main beam at all

I agree, it is extremely rare i use main beam, other than redirecting "extra" light at some Censored who is coming at me with full beam on, i don't have much use for it.

Edit once – please keep the language to a more reasonable level – this is a family environment where children could read such material when posted – Mike Alder
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
If them nobodies took the time to read these post they would see I'm right and your all wrong, end of discussion now press 'YES'

Take a chill pill....whilst I agree with your comments, I'm amazed that this has been such a calm thread (so far).

It's interesting to see the vote and read peoples' comments because for a change everybody seems to be giving pretty good reasoning for their own views and not automatically dismissing what other members have said like has been the case so many times before.

What would be interesting would be to find out what kind of roads these various people drive on predominantly - if you drive on motorways, there's probably less of a need than driving on A or B roads.

I wonder if a motorway driver was forced to use more 'minor' roads or vice versa if peoples' views might change.

Like I said in the beginning, I was originally against this idea but I've since changed my mind. After giving it more thought and paying more attention to visibility and whether oncoming cars with or without headlights are not only more visible but that it may easier to judge how far away they are and how quickly they're approaching you.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
I agree, it is extremely rare i use main beam, other than redirecting "extra" light at some Censored who is coming at me with full beam on, i don't have much use for it.

Edit once – please keep the language to a more reasonable level – this is a family environment where children could read such material when posted – Mike Alder

Oooop's, sorry Mike, I didn't think that word was that bad! Embarassed
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a chuckle at the vote results:

Yes 26% [ 7 ]

No 73% [ 19 ]

Total Votes : 26

According to my calculations, that makes a total of 99%

Does this mean that the other 1% are struggling to work out what the headlights are? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yes, I know that the figures are probably rounded up, but I couldn't resist having a joke
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Yes, I know that the figures are probably rounded up, but I couldn't resist having a joke

That 1% is the cumulative indecision of the 'no' society. Twisted Evil

GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
I just had a chuckle at the vote results:

Yes 26% [ 7 ]

No 73% [ 19 ]

Total Votes : 26

According to my calculations, that makes a total of 99%

Does this mean that the other 1% are struggling to work out what the headlights are? Laughing Laughing Laughing

On the next poll it might be of more use if the following line is added -
When voting, please give one good reason to justify your decision.

At this point there are 27 votes but only 12 posters.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does this mean that the other 1% are struggling to work out what the headlights are?
Maybe they are trying to understand why miners would want to use their headlights in daytime. Razz
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Back to the question above -
I have covered a very large amount of night driving and unless the conditions are grim, i don't reduce my speed, i have only been involved in four accidents in 38 years of which only one was my fault (doing ** around a bend on top of about a foot of packed snow and hitting the end of a queue of vehicles) i'm certainly not known for going slow (more the opposite) and all the accidents were in daylight with no lights on.

So at least one could not be avoided even if you, or they, had had their headlights on. The other three you had no daytime lights so maybe if you had the three could have been avoided, in which case a 'yes' to dipped beam in daylight should get a vote.

It's been mentioned about people who just pull out and then panic when they realise the approaching car was closer than they thought. Tell me about it. I wouldn't mind a £1 for every time I have been driving along, minding my own business, with no cars behind me and some 'idiot' pulls straight out of a side turning into my path, apparently to save a few seconds, only to find they trundle along several miles per hour under the speed limit. I believe these 'morons' would do the same whether I had dipped beams or a lighthouse stuck on my roof.

I was reading elsewhere, in another forum, where a person was complaining about speed limits, he/she couldn't understand why we have a stupid 70mph limit when their car is capable of 140 mph. Maybe they would like a law which states 'You must use dipped headlights in daylight hours if you exceed the 70 mph limit in your super duper look at me and what I've got vehicle, to make others move out of the way for you'.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
If I'd said "Should cyclists be forced to use lights at night?", then I'm sure the response would have been quite different

They ARE ! How many actually do it though ??

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a moment of madness I voted yes by mistake. I meant no !!

I have read through the current 4 pages and can see merit in both the yes and no camps, but as a person who enforces road traffic legislation, I think enforced appropriate use of lighting would be better for us all than not giving us the choice.

I personally use my lights on dipped beam at all times when it is raining as this is the way I have been taught on Police driving courses. I think sidelights should be abolished as they are barely visible on many cars. 'Angel Eyes' (the ones on BMW's and now boy racer aftermarket fitting) should be abolished as they are just stupid and don't give off any useful light.

I think the comment (can't recall who by) that like my TT710, if it gets dark, the lights come on and if it gets light, the lights go off, is probably the best compromise.

Also this recent development in cars where the dashboard lights come on with the ignition, independently of any lights selected, should be abolished as people think their lights are on when they are not. On the plus side though, I have got a number of drunk drivers off the road after stopping them for this very reason. (I have to keep my monthly score healthy Wink )

As for comments on improper use of fog lamps. I do have a personal crusade in this regard and all but those with a very good excuse, get a £30 ticket for their trouble. Most cars foglamps cannot be switched on by accident.

I think I'm done now.. Cool

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
missing_user

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been caravanning in Italy for four weeks [with their compulsory lighting laws] I found the law was being ignored by 50% of the locals. It was the non-Italian vehicles that seemed to be more likely to obey the rule.

As a caravanner used to overtaking and getting the 'flashed light' to say you can pull in now, I found it very difficult to see this in bright sunlight with lorries already on dipped beam!

Equally, those lorries overtaking me seem to pull in too soon, having assumed my dipped beam was in fact the "full beam flash". Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: