Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pottsy wrote:
The dawn dusk features won't require you to enter the date - GPS signal provides all the info it needs to compute dawn and dusk. This is standard fare for the Garmin Ique. If your car is super quiet, then disable the volume feature!!!

still it won't work. one heavy thunderstorm above your head during day and your calculation --> /dev/null. furthermore, even if your car is NOT supwerquite, it cannot program the volume to be, say +9 dB above the place where the noise is measured.

I know, that without sensors does work, but only a little bit and would IMHO have too much side-effects.
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they do it as well as Garmin do, it will work without flaw. My Ique worked perfectly. Though whether they manager to do that, remains to be seen!
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pottsy wrote:
If they do it as well as Garmin do, it will work without flaw. My Ique worked perfectly. Though whether they manager to do that, remains to be seen!

to you it might work "withoput a flaw" but you forget that this is a fact:

have a thunderstorm, or a long tunnel -- it won't switch over to night vision as the unit doesn't know the light intensity outside. as long as you don't know this, there is no way to do without sensors, unless you do it half way -- like calculating when it's "dark" enough. it might very well be good enough for you, but I see problems. same for the sound. the only way to reliable raise the sound is to know the ambient sound levels. without sensors, you can't. sound of a car isn't exacly coupled to the speed after all. some might shift into 5 fast, others tend to shift to a higher gear when the rpm is high (with a lot of noise.)

two things : garmin might work nice with it
to do it really right, you need external sensors.
(and GPS doesn't count here)

anyways we agree to disagree on this.
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

well I tend to think that such behaviour is not working correct. it could produce too loud sounds if your car is silent; regarding the dusk/dawn.... that doesn't work either -- if there is a thunderstorm, it wouldn't automatically work, while it's pretty dark outside. hence the question sound/light-sensor.

it's not that easy, you see.... Wink

It would be easier just to stick two switches on the side, one for lights, one for sound
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delboy0754 wrote:

It would be easier just to stick two switches on the side, one for lights, one for sound

Why bother? TomTom have already done that with a couple of menu options.

Why add dedicated hardware functionality (which will fail sooner or later) just to perform an action that is adequately covered in the OS?

Now the automatic increase in volume I can understand as being useful, but that is something that can be programmed pretty easily. If the increase is too much then adjust the volume and the software can learn the setting and configure for the car in use.

As for night views. Never used them myself, but I can understand that some people would use them, but again two quick taos and you are there.
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked:
I have a question to the team or others. If a mapping error is found like on pottsy’s maps (page 23), is it better to report the error straight to Teleatlas or to Tomtom who may have “more weight”?

To which Mike B replied:
Quote:
The best thing to do is report all errors directly to the mapping source, for TT that is Teleatlas

I have done this by their e report system. (But on phoning Teleastlas they say their team do not usually acknowledge receipt of any messages to them).
I had a query for Tomtom on something else and they told me they also want to know of any mapping errors and direction problems. This is done by:Going to the Home Tab at the top of the webpage http://www.tomtom.com. Choose UK English. Go into the support Tab. Click MY TOMTOM on the bottom left. Log into MY TOMTOM on their website. Once you have done this, on the left, click "report map errors".

May be a double barreled push could do no harm.
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical! Teleatlas just replied after a wait of 10 days. Better late than never. They said they would update their map on the evidence I gave.
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sifi wrote:
Typical! Teleatlas just replied after a wait of 10 days. Better late than never. They said they would update their map on the evidence I gave.

the initial questions I asked, were returned within minutes. the changes on the database however, haven't happened yet. these are a few months old. I have called teleatlas and, when back from holidays (yes, I called him at his holiday-site Wink ) he will take a look at it. he stated that normal corrections would take a few days at most.
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have been ambiguous with the word typical. I did not mean, typical that they always reply late. I meant typical, I've just slagged them off for not replying and then they do. Perhaps I did not get a quick reply as the person was on holiday as you said.
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sifi wrote:
I may have been ambiguous with the word typical. I did not mean, typical that they always reply late. I meant typical, I've just slagged them off for not replying and then they do. Perhaps I did not get a quick reply as the person was on holiday as you said.

well, in my case, the initial corrections are over 2 months old and 'under investigation'. that'swhy I started caling people inside teleatlas..

I'll report what happens in a few weeks.
mike67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone received their carry case for TomTom Go yet or does anyone know when TomTom are meant to be sending these out Question
Lampman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Diana Ross'I'm Still waiting'.Very bad form of marketting! Rolling Eyes
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike67 wrote:
Has anyone received their carry case for TomTom Go yet or does anyone know when TomTom are meant to be sending these out Question

i've had a word with my contact, and he says they are expecting them in the next couple of weeks, and will be sent out in September to those who have registered.
mike67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delboy0754

Thanks for the info :P
TartanGiant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Still Waiting Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

I've not got mine either.

Cheers

TG

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 28 of 35

Jump to: