Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - "Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

"Latest Map Guarantee" not working?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read posts here which mention that a free map upgrade will be given to all 720 owners regardless of the fact that the 30 day limit has expired. No sign yet of this happening, pie in the sky perhaps?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eif wrote:
dont have a flash card in it...would i still need to use clearflash tool? not looked into that yet.
The Clear Flash refers to the Internal Flash Memory, not the SD Card.

Eif wrote:
Oldboy, do you mean factory reset via the software or the reset button on the TT?
The reset underneath the Unit.

Eif wrote:
I have just tried downloading the map again...even thought its 'allegedly' already installed (am back to the canary islands at the mo!). I think the files are corrupt. they dont take ten minutes to download over 1meg broadband (although the time remaining says five hours!) and looking at the folder that it downloads to, its total size is 28mb and contains three files! something wrong there. is there any way to download this from somewhere else?
When HOME states what is ready for download, there is a More info ... Link that will tell you what is in the download.

But there should be no need to download again if you have a 710 Map of 1.7GB in the Download Folder.

Can you check, with Windows Explorer this time, what you actually have in the Download Map Folder.

The default location is C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\TomTom HOME\Download

There should be a Folder there called 'map' and in that Folder will be another with the name of the actual Map.

In this final Folder should be 2 gif Files, 1 zip file, 1 cab file and 1 toc File.

The zip File should be about 1.7GB.

Work your way through that lot and then come back. Smile

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete1336 wrote:
I've read posts here which mention that a free map upgrade will be given to all 720 owners regardless of the fact that the 30 day limit has expired. No sign yet of this happening, pie in the sky perhaps?

I have a promise to that effect from TT customer support. Every time I remind them (they first said it would be sent out by the 16th of November) I get a reply saying "please be patient".

I'll still only believe it when I see it!
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to hear about the promise Andy but I think such a move on tomtom's part is likely to cause uproar. Imagine, globally, 10,000 users pay to upgrade to the map during a week and then suddenly they give it away. If I was one of the 10,000 I'd be a tad angry at wasting that money.
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete1336 wrote:
Interesting to hear about the promise Andy but I think such a move on tomtom's part is likely to cause uproar. Imagine, globally, 10,000 users pay to upgrade to the map during a week and then suddenly they give it away. If I was one of the 10,000 I'd be a tad angry at wasting that money.

I think this promise is related to the fact that TomTom have been having (still having?) technical problems with the Latest Map Guarantee service. All customers that have failed to upgrade to the latest map during the 30 first days shall of course be given the map for free even though more than 30 days have passed. If LMG had been working flawlessly during the whole 30-day period it would have been a different story. As for me, I was unable to upgrade to the 710 map via LMG but contacted TomTom support who put the map on my account for download after I had sent them a copy of my receipt of payment.

/Ulf
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)
Eif
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:

But there should be no need to download again if you have a 710 Map of 1.7GB in the Download Folder.

Can you check, with Windows Explorer this time, what you actually have in the Download Map Folder.

The default location is C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\TomTom HOME\Download

There should be a Folder there called 'map' and in that Folder will be another with the name of the actual Map.

In this final Folder should be 2 gif Files, 1 zip file, 1 cab file and 1 toc File.

The zip File should be about 1.7GB.

Work your way through that lot and then come back. Smile

thanks Oldboy...awesome. am sorted now! thank god. on the first three attempts the downloads must have been corrupt files. i tried it again last night, and it took the full five hours. installed fine this time...now i can start planning my roadtrip to the Alps :D thanks again for all the help!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uffe73 wrote:
pete1336 wrote:

I think this promise is related to the fact that TomTom have been having (still having?) technical problems with the Latest Map Guarantee service. All customers that have failed to upgrade to the latest map during the 30 first days shall of course be given the map for free even though more than 30 days have passed.

Here's the exact wording I was given...
Quote:
Quote 9/11/07 - "There will be a v7.10 free update for 720 users, We hope to have this avilable later next week"
Quote 29/11/07 - "the map will be available to you in Tom Tom HOME once everything has been resolved."
Quote 14/12/07 - "We were informed that the map will be automatically assigned to customer's accounts within the next 2 weeks."
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
Thanks for posting that. Being the doubting thomas that I am and knowing tomtom as we do.....I'll believe it when I see it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here!
I kept saying "are you SURE this is for ALL 720 owners?" and he kept saying it was.
But we'll see...(I bumped the question again just now)
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought that this had already been done. All my .dat files are showing a date of 16-12-2007 time stamp from 17:05 - 17:34. For map Western Europe V710.1561
They just appeared in Home 2 as an update.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unable to connect via home as of now, error 220 is reported, whatever that means.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete1336 wrote:
Unable to connect via home as of now, error 220 is reported, whatever that means.
An error that is generated by HOME because it can't find a required File on the TT Server. Probably because they are down, or overloaded.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
pete1336 wrote:
An error that is generated by HOME because it can't find a required File on the TT Server. Probably because they are down, or overloaded.

Thanks for that Richard. I was getting error 220 last night and in my ignorance was convinced my new 920 had broken something (with my GPS device history that would be entirely possible!). It all worked earlier this morning, so I thought the thing had corrected itself in spite of me. Isn't it nice when you find something that's TomTom's fault not your own? - such a relief.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
SatMonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - to summarise - I now have maps coming out of my ears.

Western Europe 7.05 - Original with TomTom
and the ~930MB Western Europe 7.10 (without speech) - added to account in error by CS
Western & Central Europe 7.10 - added to account by CS
Western Europe 7.10 - automatic upgrade

I think I am happy .... what a mess.
Philgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

Just bought a TT one XL UK and I'm having the same problem.

I've been on the phone to customer support and was at first told that I wasn't entitled to the latest map. After a discussion the tomtom rep admitted I was entitled and I have emailed a copy of my receipt.

Now I'm waiting....................

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 22 of 36

Jump to: