Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2014.40 Maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2014.40 Maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did purchase an additional 4Gb card to be safe as mine was getting close to capacity after the first map update. I didn't check space after the last update.

I'll check later in the week when I update my cams.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibbley wrote:

However now it has only 393MB free and some new files on it, one of which is called gmapprom.gma which is 3,441,344k.

Are you sure? That size indicates it's the map file so will be a .img file. The .gma and .unl files are map authentication and unlock files. They're both quite small files.

I'd also expect the complete map to be on the card and not split between the card and GPS.
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm, yeah, an img file

on the SD card which only had POIs on it till the latest update now has a folder called garmin and in it, 4 files

gmapprom.gma
gmapprom.img
gmapprom.unl
gmappupdate.gsd

.img being the biggie and the others only 3,1, and 0 k in size.

The original map file that came loaded on the sat-nav is actually bigger at 3,391,963 KB

There are some big files in the System directory on the internal memory. Are they needed and are there any I can delete to free up enough space to get the map back onto the internal memory? I have 2GB free, thus need to clear just under 4GB.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any big files there will be needed. Things like junction view files.
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
CDK wrote:

Got a message that:
"Internal memory is almost full. You may want to purchase a memory card for this device to ensure sufficient space for future updates"
Well, I DO have a memory card inserted into the device!
For the life of me I cannot get this software to recognise the SD card, even though I can see and read it in Windows explorer. The SD card has 7GB free on it.

Check it's formatted FAT32. Note though that Express will only use it if there isn't enough internal space. Sounds like there is at the moment.

SUSSAMB YOU ARE A CHAMPION!

I refer to your answer to my 1st Feb post about not being able to load the latest map update despite there being enough space on the SD card. Well the internal memory was only 99% full - so there was still some left. So I filled the JPG folder of the internal memory with various photo files, etc to fill it up to 100%. Express still reported that there was not enough memory. Tried "Mapupdater" - same result. To say that I was filled with deep despond (Frankie Howard?) would be an understatement. Not to mention various choice words. So deleted the 'filler' files - back to the drawing board. Mad

Then - I saw sussamb's post about googling 'Garmin Nuvi Clone'
This brought up a website with full and clear instructions on what to do, by taking out the SD card from the satnav, and inserting it into the PC's card reader and what to do to make Mapupdater think it was connected directly to a Nuvi. (I believe it used to be called 'going over the back fence').
Used the update 'PC and Device' option, and Hey Presto! the process worked and the Western Europe map files were transferred to the PC and SD card (in the PC's card reader) within about 45 minutes.
Popped the SD card back into the Satnav and to my great relief everything worked!
Did a trip of about 50 miles today - motorway and rural - and everything was fine.

As to why the Express/Mapupdater did not work directly is a mystery.
Lets' see what happens at the next update.

So thanks to sussamb for the advice.
Not sure if I am allowed to mention the name of the website but thanks to them, too.
Laughing

sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Express should have realised the card was there, but glad the clone method worked. I use it everytime as no danger then of my satnav being messed up Wink
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CDK wrote:
despite there being enough space on the SD card. Well the internal memory was only 99% full - so there was still some left.
Do the words 'only' and '99% full' really sit comfortably in the same sentence?
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems the most sensible option to update maps on a sd device as per sussamb's method. Having a spare card would allow a fallback if it all went south. I rely on sat-nav every day so would be stuffed if it went down.

Have tried googling garmin nuvi clone, but do not seem to find the website described. Plenty of forum posts about it though. I don't see the harm in posting the link here. It is not as if we are trying to do anything underhand.

It is strange that garmin express elected to put the new map on my sd card rather than on the device, even though the new map is smaller than the old. However I have less space than I should on the internal memory now the map is on the sd card, so I wonder if additional files were put on the internal memory.

Still get Maccy D appearing over my new map :o( I have emailed garmin my complaint about it several times.

As far as sd cards go, have seen on an unrelated forum of how larger sd cards up to 64GB have been formatted to fat32 so they work with devices that otherwise would be limited to a smaller sd card.
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't believe there is an issue posting the link, the best explanation for cloning I've come across is here http://www.poi-factory.com/node/39231

Note that there is now a mention in that link about MapUpdater not working with the latest maps, I'm not sure that is 100% correct as MapUpdater is working fine for me.

While larger cards often do work in garmin GPS the official Garmin line for the nuvi satnavs is cards up to 8Gb https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={18331ce0-4af6-11e3-f27b-000000000000}
CDK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Don't believe there is an issue posting the link, the best explanation for cloning I've come across is here http://www.poi-factory.com/node/39231

Yes that's the one I used. Instructions are very clear and worked perfectly.
I will use the clone method again.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: