Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go730 - Terrible map spoiling a good device?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go730 - Terrible map spoiling a good device?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have switched from Garmin (i3) to Tomtom (740 Live) and am disappointed with the accuracy of the maps.

I live in a development in a major UK city built over two years ago, with a hotel and public carpark adjacent to my apartment block. None of these show on the Tomtom map, none of the postcodes are present, and the road layout around all of these is still that of early 2006. All of the above are present and correct on Google maps, for what its worth.

That old i3 never skipped a beat the whole time I had it. Perhaps I should have kept it. Confused
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malouff wrote:
They also should fix there rounding of kilometers to miles
I think the biggest problem is that they convert everything to kilometers that are rounded to the nearest 5 or 0

For example if I enter in 30 Miles per Hour = 48.28032 Kilometers per Hour
TomTom does not show however that it is rounding 48 to 50

So when it gets converted back
50 Kilometers per Hour = 31.068559611866696 Miles per Hour

We also know that TomTom does not store any decimal points

Right, so what made my road 29mph when I input 30 just as a test?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Malouff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Right, so what made my road 29mph when I input 30 just as a test?
I have no idea why there are differences like that.
Perhaps the navcore version used has something to do with that.

I don't see why they would save the decimal point if everything does supposedly get saved as Kilometers per Hour.
Even if they do save the decimal point, I don't see why for one person it round up a mile and for another it rounds down.
The math conversion should be a constant unless the formula for conversion was changed between navcore versions and that would explain the difference.

29 Miles per Hour = 46.670976 Kilometers per Hour
I don't think that the TomTom would let you enter in 46 Kilometers per Hour

Try switching the units of measurements to Kilometers and see what it has for the road you tested on.
I am thinking it would be 45 Kilometers per Hour

I don't understand how it got to be 29 Miles per Hour as that would be 46 Kilometers per Hour.

Also if you are testing using Kilometers I suggest your try changing the speed to 46 Kilometers per Hour and check the road again and see if it does again come up as 46 in driving view or 29 Miles per Hour.

I also think you can Correct by making a correction to the same road again and seeing what comes up for the default speed for that road.
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't personally have to much of a problm with incorrrect maps, a combination of street signs and rapid rerouting on my TT normally solves any problems.
However, where I do find a major problem is TT's attitude to 'private' roads. I go to a lot of airports for example, and although the internal roads are clearly shown on the map, TT usually, but not always, refuses to navigate through them. There is a particular trading estate off the A40, which has about 9/10 internal roads, and shows up on map view, but TT always reports 'no route found'. i've also had the same problem with National trust properties for example. If the roads are in the database, why can't they treat it as they do toll roads, ie warn that the detination has no public access, but then let you navigate there?
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malouff wrote:
Even if they do save the decimal point, I don't see why for one person it round up a mile and for another it rounds down.
The math conversion should be a constant unless the formula for conversion was changed between navcore versions and that would explain the difference.

I think that is what happened. In one navcore, some speeds were displayed incorrectly. When the next one came, some of those originally wrong were corrected but others then changed (almost as if they rounded everything up pushing some up too high). I still say rounding to the nearest 5 would be the fix.

I am amazed how long it takes some changes to make it. Round here, there was a big new road build (round Moor St station) which took ages to appear (one road longer than the rest). I'm still waiting for the access to the Bullring carpark to be corrected. Crying or Very sad
Brodit ProClip mount
layingback
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
However, where I do find a major problem is TT's attitude to 'private' roads. I go to a lot of airports for example, and although the internal roads are clearly shown on the map, TT usually, but not always, refuses to navigate through them. There is a particular trading estate off the A40, which has about 9/10 internal roads, and shows up on map view, but TT always reports 'no route found'. i've also had the same problem with National trust properties for example. If the roads are in the database, why can't they treat it as they do toll roads, ie warn that the detination has no public access, but then let you navigate there?

Private roads can get into the database from all sorts of sources - other maps, satellite images, etc. However I don't believe TeleAtlas - or NavTeq - actually drive private roads. So there isn't navigation info for these. It seems that these could be driven in your case, but considering the general case, how can someone driving those roads figure out not only whether they can legally drive them, but whether the satnav user can safely drive them? Corollary: If you live in a (new) private development and don't want SatNav directed traffic, stick up private sign quick Wink
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thought on the long delays to get into a map: often these road changes are often brought in by councils as temporary measures for a year. Certainly this is what they did here when they reversed the flow of the main streets. So, should a mapping company add the change to the map? It might take 6 months to get into the releases, and by then the council might have undone it if it didn't work. After a year, it was then approved as permanent, and at that point it will approved. And only then does it make sense for the change to be made to the master maps. Thus the change may be two years to get released.

Now, with map share I was able to make the change myself, and was correctly guided from then on. (Ironically, I note that my new 740 thinks the road is still wrong!)
bullyterrier
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are roads, shops and a petrol station near me, which have been there longer than I have lived here, which is nearly 5 years and they still don't show on tomtom's latest map!!
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bullyterrier wrote:
There are roads, shops and a petrol station near me, which have been there longer than I have lived here, which is nearly 5 years and they still don't show on tomtom's latest map!!

A dual carriageway has been here at least 5 years, yet it's still shown as single carriageway on TomTom, and all internet TeleAtlas maps, but on Streetmap.co.uk and others it shows correctly.

I have reported it years ago, but it never get's fixed.

It's really annoying that TeleAtlas don't update their maps, even though a 3-year old child could do it quicker. Rolling Eyes
jmcmtank
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest map, v825.2157 finally shows the Squinty Bridge in Glasgow! Shame the drawing is a bit off.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: