Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Losing POI Warnings?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Losing POI Warnings?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
You need to be a little more consistent.

Are you referring to other bad language within this thread? - if so there was only one word I could find over the two pages that was only slightly "out of bounds" and does get used to describe hardware faults by quite a few forum users.
If the problem is within another thread would you care to supply a link so we can clean it up to avoid distress to yourself and others.

Please be aware as Moderators we do all try and edit posts where required and maintain a high standard unlike certain other forums which often turn in to flaming sessions for minor discrepancies - BUT we cannot read every single post made so the odd bits will slip through the net, if you find anything of offensive nature please feel free to e-mail or PM one of the team with a direct link to what you don't like so it can be addressed - Mike
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with the language used at all, and where I am you here the kids use a whole lot worse!!!

It just seems a little inconsistent, you search for some words and according to the Search they are (you then use Ctrl - F and they aren't but that is another thing).

If they have been used then they either, like you have suggested all need removing or just leave them all well alone.

There is also no statement in the rules section where it mentions language constraints, or none that I could find from a quick flick through.

Cheers

Carl

P.S. My tongue was slightly in my cheek as well Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoemakers!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
You need to be a little more consistent.

Oops nearly forgot Very Happy

The Moderators perform their duties voluntarily. It's a difficult job at the best of times but they do so with our full support.

Moderating bad language is never easy, you can't create a black and white guide to what is and isn't permitted and each of us has different limits but please desist from sniping at their efforts to keep this forum the pleasant place it almost always is.

I'll confess that having spent the larger part of my working life in the Army and Police my tolerance level of bad language and practising of the same is rather higher than the acceptable norm, indeed Mrs G has to frequently remind me that I'm not in the Army anymore!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
There is also no statement in the rules section where it mentions language constraints, or none that I could find from a quick flick through.

The forum rules are here.

I don't think it is necessary to stipulate every detail, in certain ares of society it is quite normal to see people injecting heroin in the street but that does not make it permissible or legal.

The simple fact is that its not welcome here. If one or other of us deem a word or phrase offensive then that is sufficient. if anyone finds that difficult to abide by then this isn't the forum for them.

And now I'm wandering OT. Enough said.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl_the_cobbler wrote:
Oops nearly forgot Very Happy

D'you know carl, we all thought you had forgot - to troll back over several weeks in order to find something to snipe at. We should have known you are far more reliable than we think. Not Worthy Clap

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
carl_the_cobbler
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered how long that would take.

For your information it stuck in my mind about someone being told off for their language, and seeing some of the threads recently I just thought I would raise a comment, but you again have to twist it.
mcqueen
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My TomTom has lost the speed camera spoken alerts again! This time however, I’ve noticed that they seemed to get dropped when using HOME but work okay on the TomTom when it’s unplugged from my laptop, or vice versa. Let me explain. Last night I plugged my TomTom into my laptop and opened HOME. I was fiddling around with the plan route in demo mode and noticed that the sound alerts for the speed cameras were defaulting back to the dreaded chimes. I then re-associated the spoken alerts with each of the speed cameras, re-ran the demo and noted that the spoken alerts were working correctly. I then unplugged the TomTom from my laptop, by selecting disconnect device in TomTom HOME, re-ran the demo and was dismayed to note that the chimes had returned. I plugged TomTom back into my laptop, restarted HOME, re-ran the demo and spoken alerts were once again working correctly. At this stage I realised that the problem only seemed to exist when TomTom was unplugged from my laptop. So, this time I unplugged TomTom from my laptop, re-ran the demo checked that the chimes were back. Now I re-set up the spoken alerts on the TomTom directly on the device, using the touchscreen. Once done, I re-ran the demo and was pleased to note that the spoken alerts were working correctly. I then plugged TomTom back into the laptop, restarted home, re-ran the demo and noticed that the chimes were back! Unplugged from laptop, and working okay. Seems that sound settings are getting saved in two different places, one by the TomTom device and the other by HOME. Somehow, these settings seem to be out of sycn. Does anyone have any ideas on this?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a known bug in Home's software (various versions covering at least a year) that you lose your computer voice selected if you run Home's emulator (Operate my Go) and you always have to reset the voice when you undock.

Not the end of the world but an annoyance that TT's software engineers could remedy with a few lines of code ... if they could be bothered to.

Well.......from your description, sounds similar in that other settings (like your sounds) get lost when running Home.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted about this before, but I never lose my poi warnings. when I disconnect I get a message on the device saying I can't use the chosen voice. Then I just select Tim then Kate and away I go again.

I've never tried it without selecting the voices but I would expect the warnings to work as they are downloaded independently from PGPSW. Maybe they won't if you've typed them in yourself but then I'd expect them to work again as soon as you select a computer voice.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: