Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Beta Firmware Update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Beta Firmware Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But surely a firmware update wouldn't add to the maps. It is not even mentioned on the version changes that it was meant to be adding POIs.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
But surely a firmware update wouldn't add to the maps. It is not even mentioned on the version changes that it was meant to be adding POIs.

Eh?

I'm not suggesting it's adding to the maps. I'm not even sure that there's anything more in terms of POIs.

I'm just saying that there appears to be a number of additional / different categories added below some of the existing categories.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
It is not even mentioned on the version changes that it was meant to be adding POIs.

It's not even mentioned on the change log for 2.82 that it's fixed / addressed the issue with the 2.81 beta, either.

I suspect that the changes mentioned in the change log, aren't entirely comprehensive.

And regardless, there's definitely something different / additional about the categories on my i3 since the upgrade.
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing I have noticed is that you no longer have to put the space in a post code search which is a good thing.

The warnings at 200 - 400 feet are very good at slower speeds.

I think the next proper firmware upgrade will be well worth downloading.

Nick.
paulhgc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so should we hold back from the beta ?
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulhgc wrote:

Only you can decide on that, given the feedback here from the users of the new firmware, and what factors matter to you as a use of the i3.

For me, the voice prompts are much improved.

However, it's a beta release, and so far all the other firmware releases for the i3 have been pukka jobs. So I think it stands to reason that the next official release won't be that far away.
paulhgc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:
paulhgc wrote:

Only you can decide on that, given the feedback here from the users of the new firmware, and what factors matter to you as a use of the i3.

For me, the voice prompts are much improved.

However, it's a beta release, and so far all the other firmware releases for the i3 have been pukka jobs. So I think it stands to reason that the next official release won't be that far away.

you are making it very tempting
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, if you regularly use custom POI's to find your destination I would wait until they fix it because at the moment you have to look up the "city" first and then use "find nearby". It is a bit cumbersome. If you don't use that function too much I would take the leap because as Lester says there is a definant improvement in the voice commands and the post code search is a little easier because you can ignore the space.

Something else I have just remembered though is that if you are searching for an address it now offers up the spell box for the country rather than just going straight to the drop down list. This makes it a longer operation to pick the country you require. I think this is another glitch and I will email Garmin to let them know.

Nick.
paulhgc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks nick
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickwolf wrote:
Something else I have just remembered though is that if you are searching for an address it now offers up the spell box for the country rather than just going straight to the drop down list. This makes it a longer operation to pick the country you require. I think this is another glitch and I will email Garmin to let them know.

Garmin's reply is that in some cases there may be 80 countries listed so the spell box, when selecting the country, is here to stay.

Nick.
Scoobydooby
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickwolf wrote:

Garmin's reply is that in some cases there may be 80 countries listed so the spell box, when selecting the country, is here to stay.
Nick.

Wouldn't an option in the settings to specify a 'home' country be a better method I wonder?

I'd be lost without it !!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wouldn't an option in the settings to specify a 'home' country be a better method I wonder?

Might be a pain for those that live on Welsh and Scottish borders and often travel over the border regularly.
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, I was just about to say that.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

Might be a pain for those that live on Welsh and Scottish borders and often travel over the border regularly.

Yes but isn't it better to have that (pre-selected country) and then an option to use it as a default or change it in the spell box rather than always having to spell the country in every single search. I found it bad enough needing to scroll down to Engalnd or Scotland every single time I am putting a new address. It would be even cleverer if the Garmin displayed the country you're in automatically (like it does with the 50 nearest POIs) with an option of either clicking on it or spelling a different one if you are travelling across countries.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I found it bad enough needing to scroll down to Engalnd or Scotland every single time I am putting a new address.

Sorry but i can't see that as being anything other than laziness. Can't see the point. It won't save much time (~1 second) and I'd rather see Garmin concentrate on making the i3 run smoother and more reliably than worry about aesthetic changes like this.

Just my 2% of a £1.....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: