Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom TMC - Areas of Service / No Service
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom TMC - Areas of Service / No Service
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eurodat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mag mount antenna here
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygamble wrote:
when I could have gone for a NavMan which I gather has an effective TMC system.
A few Navman users have been suffering similar problems to those of TomTom and Garmin users, the difference being that the Navman has, I believe, the one wire aerial plugged in via a connector, so people are removing this and fitting better aerials / connecting into their car aerial. Of course, both the TomTom and Garmin units do not allow for this connection, and hence are resulting in these tricks / mods.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manicminer wrote:
I have completed the tmc receiver mod as earlier in the thread and than attached a uhf/vhf receiver

I have the uhf/vhf receiver mounted on Velcro pads, just above the rear view mirror.
I'm possibly interested in getting one of these units for connection - although you are not using it, can you confirm what connector it came with on the end of the cable (eg BNC, phono, etc.), and how long the total cable was?
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eurodat wrote:
Mag mount antenna here

Can someone please confirm if this is suitable for the TMC. I know nothing about freqs etc.

Quote:
I'm possibly interested in getting one of these units for connection - although you are not using it, can you confirm what connector it came with on the end of the cable (eg BNC, phono, etc.), and how long the total cable was?

not sure if your referring to me, but I have the Hirschmann HIT AUTA 60 EL powered glass antenna. I haven't used it yet, and may not if I get a mag mount, (may sell it) but it had a radio connector fitted (sorry dont know the technical term!) just a standard male connector that pushes into the radio. The cable is about 5 foot
Incidently, I bought this from a link posted in this thread earlier where it was said to be £9 something, it was, but they charged me another £5.99 for handling, postage was free!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m623d wrote:
not sure if your referring to me, but I have the Hirschmann HIT AUTA 60 EL powered glass antenna.
No, I was referring to manicminer and his small portable amplified aerial off ebay, but it's interesting to hear about the Hirschmann aerial, which I was also considering. Getting 12v power to it made it more complicated than I'm looking for right now, hence my interest in the ebay one which is battery powered.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I managed to see one in the flesh today, and it's not as small as I imagined after all!

However, I also note it's listed frequency range is designed for TV, and not FM - the ebay version states the frequency range as 47-862MHz, whereas the unit I saw (which is identical in every way) stated 470-862MHz (although I'll note there were a range of other spelling / grammatical mistakes on the back).
manicminer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swing

The receiver comes with about three feet of cable and the plug is a standard TV Arial connector. I then put the opposite connector on the tmc unit. I it is working very well for me. (The Ariel that comes with the unit can be re-placed with a length of coax it you wish to extend further). But the amplifier does not seem to do a lot though.

Manicminer
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. Having seen the unit being much larger than I was expecting, and the supplier's recommended car power supply not actually compatible with the unit, I instead selected a more normal antenna, some adaptors, a length of coax, and some more adaptors. This appears to have worked (in the sense that my Garmin's signal strength is much much higher, but I need to apply a firmware update to fix a bug before I can confirm my new solution will work!)
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what antenna have you used?
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed that in the picture of the new TomTom XL shown in

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=53230

the TMC receiver appears to be the same visually as the current one?
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm, I had bad results yesterday on a near identical trip to London via A1/M11 then Surrey and back. Probably only around 50% signal. This was way down on my previous trip with 90% fix.

This was using my 'washing line' setup and no amp (not gotten around to fitting it yet.)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m623d wrote:
but would prefer a mag. Maplins used to do one, but dont anymore Sad
It looks like they have re-instated the mini-scan mag mount it is showing in the new catalogue under the same old part number QT30H It is working right at the lower end of its frequency band, but it is better than nothing, I have tried one of these and there is an imropvement when compared to just the stock item - Please be aware though opening up the TMC unit will invalidate any waranty issue - hope this helps
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It looks like they have re-instated the mini-scan mag mount it is showing in the new catalogue under the same old part number QT30H It is working right at the lower end of its frequency band, but it is better than nothing

Thanks Mike,

What is the freq the tmc unit needs? I know its fm but aren't a wizz with freq's and stuff.

Would the amp from the Hirschman ant work with this?

As for opening my tmc, too late, already done!

Mark
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS TMC in the UK uses Classic FM which transmits on frequencies from 99,9 to 101,9 the aerial has a lower band of 100MHz upto 2000MHz; so it is within its capability - its just not "optomised" for this use, adding 30MM to its length has been sugested before to increase the "sweet spot" - not tried this though the aerial does improve matters.

I would feed the aerial into the amplifier then the TMC unit in the same way as previously suggested/ performed by others. For me the external amplified Hirchmann unit works a treat, what we could do with finding is an amplified mag mount aerial optomised for normal FM band transmission 87,5 to 108 FM - this would be the ideal solution (if only there were somewhere to plug it in to) - Mike
scoopjeff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get no signal in south northumberland, if i travel to Newcastle it sort of works but intermitenet. Hope tomtom can sort it out. Evil or Very Mad Which I doubt very much!!!

Kind regards
Scoop

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 16 of 20

Jump to: