Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1005 HD Traffic USELESS (and now older models too!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, thinking about the above, why should we need to select.

If your journey is only 10 miles, you need 10 miles of traffic data plus a little more in case you have to divert.

If your journey is 100 miles, you need 100 miles plus a bit extra for diversions.

If it is 200 miles, this is where it is still open to debate - do you need to know the traffic situation at your destination when you set off? Probably not, apart from major delays which may be a serious accident, road closure etc.

So, the device should be intelligent enough to do it for you, but I think all delays classed as major should always be downloaded and retained regardless.

Now, how do we define a major incident ?????
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't try for that - defining a major incident would stress the poor device to bits. Remember, it's a computer, it's not intelligent, it's more stupid than me. Tell it to jump off a cliff and it'll do it. A major defined as 30 minutes wouldn't pick up 29 minutes. Simply download all traffic to the destination in a band as wide as 2/3rd of the overall distance (1/3rd each side of the track). 100 mile trip gives 100 miles length, 60 miles wide to see alternates. Bristol to Leeds, approx 200 miles long, 120 miles wide can see alternates via M42/M1 or M6/M62.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
nwatson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the devices are already downloading all the traffic data, then bandwidth/data costs are not an issue. Likewise the quantity is also not an issue as traffic downloads are pretty quick.
The only issue would be applying all the relevant traffic data to your route, which will take longer for a longer trip, having the option to select traffic range would give you the ability to either get going ASAP with local traffic issues accounted for, or wait a little longer for route planning to account for all current issues. Note that the recent 1000 series devices will probably not show much of a delay in any case.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only issue with taking all incidents in to consideration is th enumber of route recalculations the device is likely to have to perform.

Not an issue for the newer 1000 series devices, but the XLLIVE takes minutes to calculate a really long route with Nav9. It is quicker with Nav8, but not by much. Most of this is due to the displaying of Fuel Prices and TT Safety Cams on route (I know, I keep forgetting to remove them!).
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a new (to me, anyway) thought. This has got to be Navcore based. So how about somebody finding a Navcore from January? to reinstall and see if the traffic reverts to whole route? It happened sometime about January/February didn't it (we were talking about it then)?

What are the dates and versions of Navcore since about October last year and how can we try them?

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the case of the x40, x50 and XL IQ (all live models) the Navcore hasn't changed since last year so I very much doubt this is something on the device.
TomTom have explained why the change was introduced and when, all we need to do is wait and see what, if anything they are going to do about it - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how are the implementing it on the device? We have commented that all the data is downloaded to the device, then degraded. Are they able to control the device via the SIM? Is the data downloaded a la James Bond "This message will self-destruct in 5 seconds"?

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't Navcore based, I rolled back to 8.419 which is one release after what my XL LIVE came supplied with and the behavious is the same.

What is interesting is that TT are obviously putting some 'flag' on incidents more than 50 miles away so that they are discarded. This feature to do this had to have already been in the Navcore, so this means the devices were doing this before, but the range was further.

This is a server side change, so dicussions around having a variable setting in the Navcore are maybe heading down the wrong track - the flag needs to be set on the incident before it is downloaded to the device??
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But surely the Navcore must still read & apply the flag so a change to the Navcore would modify the way the flag is being implemented, maybe with a On/Off option
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the code is written into the traffic download, to discard anything over 50 miles from the current location. In that case, all LIVE navcores could have had that function built in, just never used until now!

A bit like a remote kill switch, if the switch is activated then the range is limited to the distance given in the traffic download!

Steven

iPhone 12
MRCC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed that on my 540 it only appears to download the 50 mile radius info when i have a GPS lock. With no GPS lock then it downloads about 120-130 mile radius (shows on the map for a second) before throwing away everthing outside the 50 mile radius. In the latter case it seems to use the last known position as the centre point for the download info.

So it appears that with a GPS lock then the PNDs will be downloading less from the TT server.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRCC wrote:
I have noticed that on my 540 it only appears to download the 50 mile radius info when i have a GPS lock. With no GPS lock then it downloads about 120-130 mile radius (shows on the map for a second) before throwing away everthing outside the 50 mile radius. In the latter case it seems to use the last known position as the centre point for the download info.

So it appears that with a GPS lock then the PNDs will be downloading less from the TT server.

The behavior is the same with or without a GPS lock, if you have the map view up before the HD Traffic kicks in and watch carefully you can see the data disappear in front of your eyes, with or without a GPS lock. At least, that is how it works on my XL LIVE.
MRCC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
MRCC wrote:

The behavior is the same with or without a GPS lock, if you have the map view up before the HD Traffic kicks in and watch carefully you can see the data disappear in front of your eyes, with or without a GPS lock. At least, that is how it works on my XL LIVE.

It doesn't work like that on my 540. It changes behaviour depending on whether it has GPS lock or not. That's why I posted my finding as it may be device dependent too.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird - I thought others had reported the behavior the same as my XL LIVE, maybe there are some subtle differences between devices. Is this from power on? What Navcore version are you running? Only asking out of interest.
MRCC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Weird - I thought others had reported the behavior the same as my XL LIVE, maybe there are some subtle differences between devices. Is this from power on? What Navcore version are you running? Only asking out of interest.

Running v8.371. Tried it again this morning at switch on, with map zoomed out, only the 50mile stuff showed up but it had already got GPS lock before the Traffic was downloaded. The other day i hadn't used it for a few days so it was slow to get GPS lock, then the 100-130 trafic info appeared on the map but just for a second.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 12 of 27

Jump to: