Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 540 - My Live Services work now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 540 - My Live Services work now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you have got the original purchase receipt Surprised

They didnt ask me for that (fortunately!).

When returned to their UK service agents (who simply reimaged the device with the original navcore 8.xx) it was returned in 4 days (so it was at the service centre for two days!).

When returned to Holland it was about a week and a half (including two days each way for collection and delivery) but they replaced the whole device rather than replace the SIM. The SIM in the replacement is a different IMEI though.

Best of luck!
Google Nexus One with Google Maps & NDrive
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After weeks of investigation by second line support they have come up with the following suggestion:

- Reset your TomTom to factory settings via the change preferences Menu
- After resetting your device, you will need to set up your start-up preferences again. (Don’t do this just yet)
- Reset your GO 940 Live; see http://www.tomtom.com/6965 in how to do this.
- Switch your device back on.
- Now go through the Setup of your device.

I also received another email saying my Live Services had ended.

This is unbelievable.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When reading of experiences such as yours it explains why TT appear to be standing on the edge of an abyss.

I guess that they shall be soon receiving a strongly worded reply Shocked

Good Luck.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
- Reset your TomTom to factory settings via the change preferences Menu
- After resetting your device, you will need to set up your start-up preferences again. (Don’t do this just yet)
- Reset your GO 940 Live; see http://www.tomtom.com/6965 in how to do this.
- Switch your device back on.
- Now go through the Setup of your device.

I also received another email saying my Live Services had ended.

Yes - I went through this Crying or Very sad but at least I did have an active Live Services subscription.

So, did the reset, told TT who said "your Live Services have been reset at this end and it should work now" and, of course, it didnt!

I then restored from the backup to get my settings back and sent another irate response.

After this they arranged for a "repair" at the UK centre which was just a reinstall of the original software. I then got really annoyed when (of course) it didnt make any difference and it was back to navcore 8.xx.

After about four weeks they responded with instructions to return it to Netherlands, they returned an exchange unit which already have navcore 9.xx on it and, much to my surprise, it worked properly.

Over four months end to end I think Evil or Very Mad

TT when asked claimed it is an issue with some devices that they are working hard to fix ( Rolling Eyes ) and is not a known issue specifically from the UK Go x40 (which well all know it is!).

A totally inept organisation Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
hoolahoops
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
They have asked for my original receipt (£400 in 2008!) and my personal details for returning the device so it looks like this may be happening. No mention of costs or timescales yet.

How long did yours take from sending it away to receiving it back?

My TT950 was bought in Dec 2009. After much faffing was sent back as it had developed a SIM error and wasn't able to connect to the live services.

I just provided a copy of the invoice from the amazon website (couldn't find the original). Sent it off (to somewhere in the frozen north) on a Mon. It was back with a new SIM card on the Friday. No charge although some of their emails from the RMA system did say they would contact me if there was an out of warranty charge (which there wasn't, and they didn't).

Live services have been working well (or as well as they have every done) since the repair.

TT Go 950 Live. Fixed Brodit mount
Motorola Moto 4G
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was informed that I "might" get an email about out of warranty charges but that as long as I informed them I wouldnt be charged.

They didn't attempt to charge me, they admitted it was an out of warranty repair, they didnt ask for proof of purchase and admitted it was "their problem".

The one thing that they got right - I was truly gob smacked Cool
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have now said it needs a repair which will cost €105 (Euros). That is a lot to fix a design fault. I think it may be bye bye TomTom time.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly So & So's. How to pee off a loyal customer Mad
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now been assured that it will be treated as a warranty repair, so that's good news. I am going to be sent a box in the post for it to be returned for repair or exchange.
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is the "repair" to be done in the UK or Holland?

The UK "repair" of my unit was just a reset to factory settings and return the device. This, of course, achieved nothing. It was only when it was sent to the Netherlands that they returned a replacement device with a new SIM card (the Vodaphone card it came in was in the box!) and navcore 9.xx already installed and this worked.

They sent a flat pack box for the UK repair (with no instructions how to assemble it, and it is not obvious - I got it wrong and it was only when I got it back that I found out how it should have been inserted) with a post office pre-paid special delivery envelope.

The return to Netherlands was a courier collection and I had to provide the packaging (yes, I know, I should have kept the packaging from the previous "fix" Embarassed but, in my defence, we had moved house in the middle of this). Instructions specifically you not to use the original packaging the device came in Surprised

Since you do not have a current TT Live subscription testing could be a problem. If would get an exchange unit with navcore 9.xx I wonder if you could register it as a new device and get the 12 months Live service and Latest Maps Guarantee? I transferred my existing services to this device via home which was quite simple once I worked which of the three options TT Home gave me when connected to the PC - it was not obvious.

Best of luck, but sounds as though it could be a result Smile

My 540 is still working properly since its "repair" Very Happy
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did make it clear that the issue is with V9 software and that it would work with V8 and I will also put a note in the box (when it arrives) pointing this out.

I will make sure I note my IEMI and serials to see what if anything is changed.

TT have given me a temporary subscription which can be used to test it.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually this seems to have been sorted. The 940 was sent to Scotland and less than a week later it was returned. It was a different 940 to the one I sent and it does not have the same problem.

I keep getting intermittent messages that no traffic signal has been received but all the other live services are working and I suspect the issue is not on my device.

Also the battery life seems shorter at 1.5 hours but that may just be my imagination as I rarely run it on battery power.

So after around 18 months it seems that TT support have finally come through.
Greenglide
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a result then Very Happy

How long is the temporary Live services that you got off TT?

I don't get any issues with messages saying "no traffic signal has been received" so it could be a problem with TT services, the network coverage or a problem with the replacement unit.

I suspect the the upgrade from NavCore 8.xx to 9.xx broke it and their fix may well be to install NavCore 9.xx from scratch.

Of course these are "reconditioned" units - heaven know what they were originally returned for and I can't see TT replacing the battery - it would const them money Sad
Google Nexus One with Google Maps & NDrive
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The temporary Live Services must have been assigned to my old device and not my account as they are no longer there. I have used a prepaid card I bought a few months back but was not willing to use it until the problem had been fixed.

I have left it running all day now and it is still picking up the Live Traffic so that must have been a server glitch this morning.

I am not that bothered about the battery as the only time I use it on battery power is when I forget to put my phone in the car holder as the car kit supplies the power to the TomTom. A new battery is only about £7 and they are not glued to the board in these models so are easy to change.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all that I now have a Go940 that is working as expected.

In the past I have always felt that TomTom support was not up to it, but after this I am actually pleased with them. They have replaced a device that is nearly four years old at no cost to myself and not many organisations would do that. This means in future, I am far more likely to buy and recommend TomTom again.

So a big thanks to TomTom support.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: