Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - files not found
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

files not found
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive us if we look for another explanation... it's just that on your first journeys out with a new database we think you'd be very unlikely to come across two mistakes or inaccuracies such as these.

As a camera verifier, I'm on the look-out for cameras all the time, and apart from verifying NEW reports of changes that have already been reported by several people, I hardly ever find errors.
JoyP
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They areboth in London, on the North Circular Road (A406) in the Walthamstow area. One is going east, past the Fore Street tunnel and just before going up to the flyover over the A1055. I can't quite locate the other at the moment - will have to wait till I next use that route. But in both cases the warning is of a Gatso camera.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks as if this one is GATSO:949@50, which is single direction heading west.

Unfortunately, although our cameras include the direction, TomTom don't include directional information for third-party POIs, so they alert in both directions. You would therefore have got a warning for the west-bound camera when you were heading east. Blame TomTom! Evil or Very Mad
Samsung Galaxy S21
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking on the camera submission map, there is only one current camera on that section of the North Circular - but it's on the westbound carriageway.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoyP wrote:
They areboth in London, on the North Circular Road (A406) in the Walthamstow area. One is going east, past the Fore Street tunnel and just before going up to the flyover over the A1055.
Can you find the two cams on the submission map?
JoyP
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
It looks as if this one is GATSO:949@50, which is single direction heading west.

Unfortunately, although our cameras include the direction, TomTom don't include directional information for third-party POIs, so they alert in both directions. You would therefore have got a warning for the west-bound camera when you were heading east. Blame TomTom! Evil or Very Mad

Does that mean that when I download your cameras, my device accepts them but not the direction? I don't get the TomTom warning when travelling east, just yours!

This would explain both warnings when there are no cameras. It looks as if I'll have to keep the TomTom warning beep on the device, and only take notice when it beeps, and when I get the spoken warning only (which I prefer!) I should ignore it.

Edited by Anita to correct quote
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoyP wrote:
I don't get the TomTom warning when travelling east, just yours!

That's right! TomTom's own warnings are directional, but directional information on third-party POIs is ignored.

But if you choose to only take notice of the TomTom beeps and not our warnings, you'll miss a heck of a lot of cameras that are there but aren't on the TT database, and get far more warnings for non-existant cameras that are on there, than for the few on the other side of the road with ours.
Samsung Galaxy S21
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoyP wrote:
It looks as if I'll have to keep the TomTom warning beep on the device, and only take notice when it beeps, and when I get the spoken warning only (which I prefer!) I should ignore it.
Ignore them at your peril. You will soon come to one that TT db does not warn at all for, but ours does, even if it does warn for the ones 'on the other side'

What about the cams that are actually there, in our database but not in TTs. You won't get your beep there Sad
Give it a bit of time, and you'll find out which is the more accurate db Very Happy
JoyP
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes, I believe you! I also do look out on the roads as well, for cameras and the white stripes on the road itself. I far prefer your warnings, anyway, as they give the actual speed limit verbally.

Another thing, whilst I'm on the subject: Your warnings used to say: "gatso, 50" for example. Somehow they now say something like:"Pocketgps Gatso 50. 800 yards ahead" - which is far too long. I've had to go through every one on my TomTom and type the appropriate warning in: "Gatso 50" which is all I need. The device supports text to speech, so I get the TomTom voice, not your much nicer one!

Is it the new files, or the TomTom?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using a Device that supports TTS, it's the setting in the Warn when Near Menu that allows the .oog files to be used.

After you have Input the Warning Distance you should have a 4 Option Page Menu.

If you use Brief Spoken you will get the long warning that you had.

Selecting Sound Effect will use the .ogg File, if available.

Remember to select YES on the next screen.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
JoyP
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't seem to have .ogg files in my download. Does the TomTom Live 820 not support these?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoyP wrote:
I don't seem to have .ogg files in my download. Does the TomTom Live 820 not support these?

Yes it supports them but you have to tick the box to select the voice alerts download. You only need to install them the first time, subsequent updates only need the speed camera database data hence the reason it's optional.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "tick the box" which Darren mentioned is actually a drop-down option box. Smile

It's on the form where you download the camera files and you get the option of a male or female voice, with or without a warning chime at the front.

JoyP
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
The "tick the box" which Darren mentioned is actually a drop-down option box. Smile

It's on the form where you download the camera files and you get the option of a male or female voice, with or without a warning chime at the front.

I have done that, and have two questions - forgive me if I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but I'm not quite sure how it all works:

When I downloaded the new zipped file and extracted it, I found that there were only .ov files for each type of camera (e.g. Gatso, mobile) but not for the speeds - is that OK?

Secondly, there were no .ogg files either, although I had ticked the drop-down box for the spoken warning.

I followed all the other instructions, and when I tried the device out this morning, all I got was the warning sounds, no voice!

Would the solution be to delete all the POIs from the TomTom and start afresh? That is a long, laborious business but I am prepared to do it if it will give me what I want.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as if you downloaded the Consolidated by Type category, which contains one file for each type of speed camera, while the category you require is Speed Zoned, which contains the speed cameras in individual files for each speed limit and each camera type. This explanation can be found under "What camera database categories do I need?" towards the bottom of the download page.

For the ogg files you need to click the drop-down box headed "Available Voice Packs" and select which pack you want.
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: