Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 750 Live - use of 4Gb card - updating maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

750 Live - use of 4Gb card - updating maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orac1 wrote:
Surely that is really a question that the forum management does not need to ask in relation to the TomTom Go Live 750, even though it would have been a perfectly reasonable question for someone using a TomTom Go 910 with its massive 20GB mini hard drive on board memory.

I would be rather shocked if any of the moderators on here asked such a question in response to moving things from a 910's hard drive as it has no card slot!

As for using memory cards with the devices, they are cheap and do offer a speed increase for route planning when compared to the internal Flash memory. I fully agree though the 750 devices should have been sold with 4GB of built in storage to avoid a whole load of hassle when updating a brandnew device using LMG - Mike
Orac1
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I would be rather shocked if any of the moderators on here asked such a question in response to moving things from a 910's hard drive as it has no card slot!

I actually considered buying a cheap refurbished 910 from www.totalpda.co.uk for my relative instead of the 750 as it was only about 100 quid with a free delivery code and further cashback from www.topcashback.co.uk But even though the refurbed units also came with v835maps and so should have supported IQ routes if updated with a version of Navcore 9 general indications on the forum seemed to be that the whole thing would never be stable, especially when operated by somebody not very technically minded. I didn't realise there was no SD card slot in the 910 but clearly with 20Gb of on board storage there should have been no need for it, except when the hard drive finally fails.

What kind of expected lifetime do the 910 hard drives normally seem to have?

Quote:
As for using memory cards with the devices, they are cheap and do offer a speed increase for route planning when compared to the internal Flash memory. I fully agree though the 750 devices should have been sold with 4GB of built in storage to avoid a whole load of hassle when updating a brandnew device using LMG - Mike

I didn't realise that they could also potentially speed up journey planning by the Go Live units as I do actually find it very annoying how long (normally two to three minutes) the 940 can take to plan a journey from somewhere a few miles outside the M25 to Central London (or vica versa) during the rush hour. The punyness of the processor used by TomTom in these units and/or the slowness of the built in onboard memory for the work it is being asked to do does again seem very disappointing.

How much of a speed up in complex journey calculations could I get with the fastest possible compatible SD card and what particular brand and subtype would you yourself favour for use in the current x40/x50 Go Live units.

Last edited by Orac1 on Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orac1 wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
Secondly, why did you want to move the maps etc onto the card in the first place?

Surely that is really a question that the forum management does not need to ask in relation to the TomTom Go Live 750

First, Andy's not "management", but a Moderator. On this site that means he was judged by "management" and invited to become a Moderator. As with us all (Mods), that confers on him some responsibility for monitoring the site and gives him some extra powers to exercise some control on it.

What's wrong with the question? You seem to have had difficulty with your map upgrade, but Wendolene didn't! She (is she a she?) merely has come to the decision she would like her map on the SDHC card instead of on internal memory. Andy is curious as to why jackbarry thinks he should do the same - His experience with TomTom devices is up there with the best and his opinion seems to be that it should not be necessary, as proven by the vast majority of users not needing to. Your experience leads you to believe it's obligatory. That's one vote each - not, in my opinion, grounds for giving him grief over it.

Incidentally, although I use an SDHC card in my devices (for the speed Mike mentions), I've never been hit with the lack of space upgrade bug

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Orac1
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
You seem to have had difficulty with your map upgrade, but Wendolene didn't! She (is she a she?) merely has come to the decision she would like her map on the SDHC card instead of on internal memory.

This is a very widely reported complaint by buyers of the 750 unit in their customer reviews on the Amazon website (where I bought this unit) and in other places like reviewcentre.com Even if the Map Update doesn't take you over the edge the addition of even one additional Computer Voice etc off the TomTom website almost certainly will. However much worse than that the Latest Map Update guarantee problem won't just cause the update to fail and leave your 750 Live in its previous non map updated condition. Instead it will wipe out your map and leave you completely screwed unless you have already taken a backup of the unit before carrying out the Map Guarantee upgrade (which many new owners in their enthusiasm to start using the thing and their feeling that it is all still new and perfect will not have done).

The units do not have enough space for standard personalisation by most customers personalising their TomTom units just a little. And that has been a very widely raised criticism. I don't really see why anyone other than a TomTom marketing man would seek to defend the company's parsimony in that regard or the poor design of the TomTom Home software in not checking for adequate memory space before beginning a Latest Map Guarantee Update. Obviously I so realise that you are not actually a TomTom marketing man though.

Quote:
Incidentally, although I use an SDHC card in my devices (for the speed Mike mentions), I've never been hit with the lack of space upgrade bug

I can only presume that you have not personally encountered this problem either because you do not use Map Share or possibly because you do not own or use a 750 Live unit.

Also my apologies for not realising the subtle distinctions drawn here between what you consider to be "forum management" and the "moderators". However with respect I would still have thought that anyone who can edit or remove posts of other forum members in certain forum sections does actually have a power of management as defined within most organisations, even though they may well still be unpaid volunteers and not reap any of the commercial benefits of running the website that are only received by the website's owner and/or the company's directors.
jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err, bewildered here! I'd like to thank Orac1 for elucidating where I have been coming from. Although the 750 Live was after research my satnav of choice I delayed buying it precisely because of the issues Orac1 refers to.

I am still a bit confused about what to do. Andy P suggested loading the LMG onto the 4gb card - is this with the whole of the TT software already in place on the card? I assume it must be because presumably the device can't read from the internal and card memory at the same time.

Incidentally i used the unit going to North Wales yesterday and there wasn't a peep from the Traffic or Camera elements - do I have to initiate something?

Unfortunately I have to got out for the day again now so I won't be able to do anything to the unit until tomorrow. It is just sitting here doing nowt!

Thanks again for all your comments. jack.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact the unit CAN work just fine with JUST the map folder on the card and everything else on internal.
Orac1
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbarry wrote:
Err, bewildered here! I'd like to thank Orac1 for elucidating where I have been coming from. Although the 750 Live was after research my satnav of choice I delayed buying it precisely because of the issues Orac1 refers to.

I thought this was why you were trying to put everything on an SD card.

As an alternative option to bothering with the SD card for now you could just try using the Latest Map Guarantee as soon as you first connnect to TomTom Home and before joining MapShare or downloading any additional voices etc. But make sure you have taken a direct copy of the whole TomTom memory drive on to your CD hard drive and/or a DVD before you do so.

If you are lucky it may work although at some point you are going to be told there is not enough space to add a Computer Voice of update the Navcore or whatever.

However if having taken the full backup to computer hard drive before using the latest MapShare guarantee it does still wipe out your current Europe map without installing a new one you should be able to recover the situation by following the below instructions provided by TomTom Support. I did try reasoning with the lady in question to suggest that it was unreasonable that they had supplied a new unit without enough expansion for a Map Upgrade, let alone MapShare, pocketgps files etc but the truth/honesty suppression chip she had obviously had implanted in her brain before being let loose in the TomTom call centre prevented her from seeing that this was obviously the case.Twisted Evil

Here are TomTom's instructions for fixing the consequences of their own memory meanness.

Quote:
Latest Map Guarantee
Discussion Thread
Response 05 Jan 2010

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Care
The reference number for your query is XXXXXX-XXXXX

Please follow the instructions below in order to install the Europe map onto your device.

STEP 1 Create a Manual backup of your Loquendo Folder

- On a PC, open My Computer, you will see the device as a removable storage device, e.g. TomTom E:, double click into it (on a mac, just double click on it on your desktop)
- You will see a folder called Loquendo, or LoquendoTTS, Copy this folder to your desktop.
- Once this is done, go back to the TomTom drive and delete the folder called Loquendo

IMPORTANT: We advise you to follow the next steps ONLY if you have made a successful backup of your device.

STEP 2 Open TomTom HOME Install the Map etc

- Click on Add Traffic, Voices, Safety Cameras, etc and then on Items on Computer.
- Under this there should be a menu listing.
- Click the plus sign next to maps your map should be there. Click Add.
This will copy the map onto your device.

STEP 3 Removing excess c_speech files

- On a PC, open My Computer, you will see the device as a removable storage device, e.g. TomTom E:, double click into it (on a mac, just double click on it on your desktop)
- You will see a folder with the name of the map you just installed (Europe or Europe 2GB) Open this folder.
- Delete the following files from this folder
cspeech_BEL.dat
cspeech_CHE.dat
cspeech_DEU.dat
cspeech_ESP.dat
cspeech_FRA.dat
cspeech_BEL.dat
cspeech_ITA.dat
cspeech_NLD.dat
cspeech_POL.dat
cspeech_PRT.dat
cspeech_SWE.dat

STEP 4 Restore Loquendo Folder

- The folder called Loquendo, or LoquendoTTS, that you backed up to your desktop, copy this folder back to the root folder of your TomTom.

Please let me know how this process went. If you have any problems, please reply to this email.

With Kind Regards

The TomTom Customer Care Team

Should you wish to reply to this email, please log in to your TomTom account via www.tomtom.com.
Click on My TomTom in the top right - My Questions History, click on XXXXXX-XXXXXX then scroll down to the bottom and click on Update Question.

You can also attach documents that you wish to send to us by clicking on Browse. You can then find the document you wish to attach and click on Add Attachment.

Our opening, closing times and contact details are on http://www.tomtom.com
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not try what Andy says? and I quote myself...
Quote:
Andy has been around here a lot longer than I have, so (without formatting) you could go the way he suggests, simply stick the blank card in the 720 and go for that map.

EDIT - Spot the deliberate mistake - I said 720 when it should be 750 Embarassed Embarassed

Connect the device...
start (or allow to start) Home...
Select External memory...
Click top left menu - Tools...
Use Latest Map Guarantee.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orac1 wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
Secondly, why did you want to move the maps etc onto the card in the first place?

Surely that is really a question that the forum management does not need to ask in relation to the TomTom Go Live 750

Be careful about selective quoting please....

I actually went on to say:
Andy_P wrote:

.....There ARE some reasons why you might want to do that, but the vast majority of TomTom users never feel the need to and continue with the internal memory only.

It's important to find out what the questioner is trying to achieve and for what reasons, in order to give salient advice.
(Otherwise one might end up confusing the matter with irrelevant mentions of other devices such as the 910 etc.....)
jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dennis,

Curioser & curioser! Thank you for your advice which I have followed but selected internal memory 4Gb (no mention of external) and nearly 3hrs later it had finished. Checking in Windows Explorer revealed that TT Home had been replaced completely. It is now nothing like the backup I made and only consists of a Download Folder within which is a sub folder Complete which contains the new 2Gb map & new Safety Camera sub folder which I downloaded after the maps.

Upon checking the card in my reader there is nothing there at all! Does anyone know what has happened here?

Off to N Yorks for the weekend tomorrow am so won't be back on here until Monday/Tuesday. Fingers crossed for the journey North. jack
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, talk about wandering off the straight and narrow! What's Home got to do with it, I ask myself?

I assume you didn't get a choice of choosing external because you hadn't got anything on the SD card - with the TT files on there, it considers you have two memory locations. What's happened to the card is nothing - you have discovered that simply putting a blank SD card into the device slot does NOT get maps installed there - that only happens if you have the (or some particular) TT files on it for it to recognise as a TT device. I originally suggested copying everything from the device to the card before going for the update (but having the card in a reader, not in the TT for the reason Mike mentioned - might get everything trashed). Later suggestion (not mine, I simply repeated it) was to just put the card in and see what happened - turns out it was "nothing"..

So have you got a new map on your device or not? - Tap the Satellite strength bars bottom right, then tap the version and look at what the next page says your map is.

You don't need fingers crossed if you're going to Yorkshire Twisted Evil - God's Own County.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS Not having the dubious blessing of a 750, I have no idea what the latest map version is, but if it's not at least v845.2645 or later (the .2645 may differ on your model), you've still got an old map and it's all gone slightly pear-shaped.

jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Map version is 845.2702; app is 9.026.483454.1 OS473972 (1010 15.12.2009) whatever all that means!

I really don't understand what to do next. I'll certainly know if it's working as I am about to leave for the weekend in N Yorks but I don't understand how it works when most of the TT folders seem to have disappeared.

Is there anyone in the PGPSWorld that is an expert on this matter? I hope so as I am beginning to have second thoughts about the whole thing.

Thank you for the info to date, reagrds, jack.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Looks like you've got the latest map.

2. I don't understand what you mean by "most of the TT folders seem to have disappeared". From where? How do you know most have disappeared? Did you take notes of what folders were there? This sounds to me like worrying for no good reason. Go ahead and use the device and take it from there.

3. Have a good read of our TomTom FAQs, a real goldmine of information.

4. Come back and ask questions - all new people do that and generally are well looked after here.

5. There are loads of experts in PocketGPSWorld - everybody in this thread with several thousand posts to their names just for starters.

6. As for the original question about using a 4GB SD card, let it be for the time being - learn how to use your TomTom, read avidly on this forum in the TomTom section. Then when you're ready, start wondering how to get more out of it.

Your very first post said "I have backed up the device using Windows Explorer to my computer", so you're safe. Don't worry - Enjoy!

jackbarry
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Back from Malham, N Yorks - wonderful weekend and went onto Saltaire - another bit of history!

The 750 worked fine except for the Speed Camera part - it only beeped 3 times which is ridiculous after having a Road Angel Compact for 4yrs which would have been going off most of the time. I'll look into that aspect.

Regarding the TTHome folder issues I have saved Printscreen shots of before & after as Word files but I can't seem to copy & paste them here to show you how fundamentally different they are. If I could only attach them somehow?

Basically I am concerned that if I do have to resort to using the backup I shall have to go through the whole upgrading hassle again. And, of course I am not using the 4Gb memory card.

jack.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: