Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Route Puzzle
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Route Puzzle
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orac1 wrote:
I assume you would also therefore think that it is completely unreasonable of me to expect TomTom Fuel prices to actually work and hence perfectly sensible for me to instead ring round all the garages it lists checking their prices manually instead?

Of course not. It's totally unacceptable that the fuel prices are out of date.

But I do think it's foolish to blindly accept a route offered by any route planner, whether a satnav, website or software, without checking it first and, if it involves a ferry, checking the duration of the crossing, departure times and costs, either via the ferry company's website or by telephone, and factoring these into your routing decision.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see why you're so upset about this. I can't imagine any of TomTom's competitors would do the route calculations any different.

And I don't see how you can say
Quote:
In short allowing for the existence of the mobile data connection on a TomTom Live unit the assumptions made about ferries and their availability are utterly and shockingly incorrect.

The LIVE Services were NEVER intended to connect to external sources to find things like ferry timetables.

Great idea for the future, but beyond the capabilities of any unit currently.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delays while bording a ferry are not covered by HD Traffic as they generally don't occur on the road network (M20 stack operation is the exception to this one though) - Something that occurs on the dockside won't be read and relayed out via the Live service.

As for the fuel prices, to be honest save the storage space and remove the files from the device the service is useless and has been for some considerable time. I don't use it as its not trustworthy and a good proportion of the so called garages they list for the very low priced fuel don't even exist!

When informed of these facts TomTom asked even more ridiculous questions about the locations involved - I guess we could go out and geotagg photographs of the bogus fuel stations they claim to exist but I doubt they would know how to read the data - Nice idea but yet again failed in the implementation - Mike
Orac1
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Delays while bording a ferry are not covered by HD Traffic as they generally don't occur on the road network (M20 stack operation is the exception to this one though) - Something that occurs on the dockside won't be read and relayed out via the Live service.

The road at Sandbanks is an A road until a few yards before it goes down the concrete slipway and the queue can be nearly a mile long but stationary for 12 minutes or so before moving for a minute. So I would have thought it should register on HD Traffic.

Quote:
As for the fuel prices, to be honest save the storage space and remove the files from the device the service is useless and has been for some considerable time. I don't use it as its not trustworthy and a good proportion of the so called garages they list for the very low priced fuel don't even exist!

Why does being TomTom make them exempt from legal action by Trading Standards for telling customers they are buying a service that is then not provided to a merchantable quality. I believe petrolprices.com have an Iphone App that works just fine. I used to work for a company that collected daily fund prices for thousands of funds that all had to be kept up to date so I have some idea just how easy it is to see the very old data at the top and bottom of the list that is not moving and to know it is bad. It is more difficult to spot a price in the middle where the date keeps being updated even though the price isn't changing until such time as that price finally falls out of the range of currently live prices.

Most petrol prices are quoted as 105.9 etc at the petrol station in the UK but TomTom incredibly just rounds down instead of rounding down up to .5 and up from .5 to .9 Anyhow they could easily re-engineer the display to show the decimal fraction as well. The fact that they don't is indicative of an overall problem with TomTom - hopeless unprofessional
sloppiness by a company that is built on marketing hype rather than data quality led. As my job was data quality I think I do have some professional credentials to justify making that claim.

So much that TomTom does wrong including the outageous miserly and wholly inadequate built in solid state memory capacities on all their current models suggests that they have underlying contempt for their customers and think they must be stupid.

As to the ferries I am sure there are already Iphone apps that can access this data. Is TomTom simply waving the white flag and suggesting I need to bin my 9 month old 940 in favour of an Iphone with a TomTom navigation App?
Orac1
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Can't see why you're so upset about this. I can't imagine any of TomTom's competitors would do the route calculations any different.

Surely the point of Satnav navigation is to accurately navigate from A to B including accurately estimating total journey time and arrival time.

Driving from near London to Mallorca is only about 12 hours driving time if you keep your foot down but at least another 4.5 to 8.5 hours is ferry time with a wait of up to 24 hours for the next ferry. So in order to get to Mallorca as fast as possible you might easily drive to Valencia instead in some situations. But to only list the ferry route with the most infrequent and slowest service to the other side of the island from the capital of the island for all journeys to the island and not to default to making the faster crossing to the capital Palma seems to me quite extraordinary

Still if some of you here seem to have such low expectations of what Satnavs are meant to be capable of and seem to expect the driver to still do a lot of the calculation then I don't why we didn't all save ourselves a lot of money by just sticking with the humble map.....
Orac1
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After further investigation on the trip to Mallorca I notice that if I tell the 940 to avoid the Barcelona to Alcudia ferry that it does know about the Barcelona to Palma ferry service instead and uses that route. But TomTom has wrongly assumed the ferry journey time as being 9 hours, hence why it has been avoiding that route. In reality the fastest car catamarans from Barcelona to Palma cover the distance in only 3.5 hours.

It looks to me as though Tomtom just assumes a standard 19mph figure for a ferry speed depending on the sea distance to be crossed and that it has no knowledge of the actual ferry timetables.

This is not a theoretical point but a very real one as when I was driving up the coast of Norway 5 years ago to Nordkap I had no idea I would hit a fiord where there was no bridge and no ferry service crossing it for the next four hours. If the TomTom had an accurate ferry schedule then it might have planned an alternative route.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like to arrive at the Ferry/Tunnel terminals ahead of time, use the facilities, have a coffee etc, so when travelling from home to Spain, I do it as separate journeys. One gets me to the Folkestone terminal at the time I want, and then an entirely separate journey which is fed in on the train to get me from the French Terminal to my first overnight hotel (preset as a favourite). At that hotel I pre-programme for the journey to my second overnight hotel, and finally the last day drive to the Villa.

Clearly, I could feed it in as one journey, with waypoints, but the timings would be meaningless, since I'm never going to arrive at my destination 23 hours after setting out.

Coming back, I do the same, aiming to arrive at Cite Europe with plenty of time to stock up on wine etc, and have a last continental meal before heading for the terminal. So whether Tom Tom does or does not factor in crossings, and how it does so is irrelevant.

Even in UK, for smaller journeys, if there is a ferry crossing, I split into two or more separate journeys, finishing at the terminal, and starting the second/third leg once I have docked.
Orac1
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
Even in UK, for smaller journeys, if there is a ferry crossing, I split into two or more separate journeys, finishing at the terminal, and starting the second/third leg once I have docked.

Some years ago we knew a British expat couple who lived in Mallorca for part of the year who did the whole journey non stop swapping drivers every few hours. So whilst what you do may suit you there are people who want to know how long the journey will take. I imagine that would also be true of a long distance lorry driver with a co-driver on board.

I'm not at all impressed by these various low tech work arounds to try to make do with all the current inadequacies of my TomTom device.

It seems an Iphone is the way to go except of course for that tincey wincey problem that they don't offer the great Pan European free roaming data deal that TomTom does...............
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be very disapointed if you splash out on an iPhone as non of the GPS nav based apps are any different in use than the PND you currently have, they don't offer planning which is related in any way to departure times of boats or crossing times.

Sure you can get an app to show you boat departures etc but in no way will this information integrate with any Nav App on the same iPhone.

At the end of the day I am not aware of any GPS device/ software that will do what you need from it, I also very much doubt any of the manufactures will ever launch such a system and if they did it probably wouldn't work (based upon the history of add ins such as Fuel Prices etc) - Mike
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably there will come a time when ferry timetables are incorporated, but I would not wait around for it to happen a while yet! And keeping them up to date with the seasons, cancellations, diversions, etc is all going to be pretty demanding stuff.

I go with others on this, with splitting the journey. But this of course means planning and I know there are times when this might not be done - I entered a 'return' trip in the Lake District only to find myself at the Windermere crossover just after the ferry had left, because I hadn't set 'avoid ferries' (mind you, not quite in the fjord league). And of course it can be decidedly risky to force the routing to avoid 'essential' ferry crossings.

For this, I can only suggest with 'on the fly' navigation where water might well be in the way, that the turn-by-turn list at least is checked for any ferry-type entries.

And in any case, most times I would want to plan ahead because times and costs are often of crucial importance.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some years ago we knew a British expat couple who lived in Mallorca for part of the year who did the whole journey non stop swapping drivers every few hours. So whilst what you do may suit you there are people who want to know how long the journey will take. I imagine that would also be true of a long distance lorry driver with a co-driver on board.

Even if these avoided the overnight hotels, they would still have to go to a ferry/tunnel, check in in advance, and then take a crossing with potential delay. My brother does the non-stop to Spain occasionally, but still splits the journey on the satnav into pre and post channel tunnel segments, setting an "arrive by" time to get to the tunnel for check in, and then changing to normal arrival time, ready for an accurate journey time from Calais to Spain.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until SatNavs are able to incorporate the weather in their calculations surely all ferry-included times should be taken as approximate only? Same goes for industrial action I suppose; I read yesterday of a lorry driver whose Sea France ferry arrived at Calais only to sail in circles, taking six hours to complete the short crossing due to a strike - how do you factor that in?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satnav guidance seems to need some sort of intelligent interpretation device on the end, some seem to be missing this feature.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Satnav guidance seems to need some sort of intelligent interpretation device on the end, some seem to be missing this feature.

Yup! Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: