Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom 550 live google search problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom 550 live google search problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAZZA77
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: sim Reply with quote

Anyone know what my right are? should i send it back to amazon and get a replacement,but could have same problem. and would cock my 12 months free live services up.Or should i demand tomtom replace it with one that works in the uk? Tomtom arnt even answering my emails now,what is the warranty on new tomtoms now? used to be two years on my old tomtom one.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your rights lie with the retailer not TomTom.

They have no obligation to replace it. Was it an amazon Marketplace purchase or an Amazon direct one?

Was it advertised as not being UK spec?

Either way, I'd be looking for a refund from the retailer.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about this is does seem odd as it is a 550 which only has UK & ROI maps on it, so you would have expected it to be UK spec.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Thinking about this is does seem odd as it is a 550 which only has UK & ROI maps on it, so you would have expected it to be UK spec.

Hmm good point, I wonder if the seller has been tinkering with the installed maps?
BAZZA77
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: 550 googe search Reply with quote

I updated tomtom 550 as soon as i got it,tomtom home gave me latest map uk and ireland v845 and latest navcore 9.026.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 550 googe search Reply with quote

BAZZA77 wrote:
I updated tomtom 550 as soon as i got it,tomtom home gave me latest map uk and ireland v845 and latest navcore 9.026.
I wonder if you did a backup with Windows Explorer BEFORE you updated it? If so, revert to "Out of box" and see how that goes?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
BAZZA77
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: google search problem Reply with quote

over a week now and still nothing from tomtom.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 550 googe search Reply with quote

More in hope than expectation of a reply, DennisN wrote:
BAZZA77 wrote:
I wonder if you did a backup with Windows Explorer BEFORE you updated it? If so, revert to "Out of box" and see how that goes?

In response to which, BAZZA77 wrote:

Darren wrote:

They have no obligation to replace it. Was it an amazon Marketplace purchase or an Amazon direct one?

In response to which, BAZZA77 didn't wrote:

Now forgive me for seeming a bit slow on the uptake, but why do you come here with questions/problems if you don't bother to reply to any suggestions or questions offered to you? Is this a wind up?

CanarySlayer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I had exactly the same problem. Although if i did a master reset on my new Go950 (held button for 20 seconds) it did work again. Although mine had other issues with it resetting 4-5 times in an hour of a journey, and as soon as it reset google and weather did not work. Just the error 'must be connected to TomTom Home'.

Although I purchased mine from Handtec. I then registered with TomTom.com and then created a question for their support team (which has to be answered in 48 hours...so they say). So far i have had 5-6 communications regarding this, each item was responded to within 24hrs. Each time they gave me differnt things to try, inlcluding reloading app, etc etc. As it turned out nothing has worked, and i was given a code to give to Handtec so that my device can be replaced.

I returned it yesterday, so fingers crossed for getting another one (that works for more than 2 weeks hopefully). Although not looking forward to trying to get free HD for year and additional map updates and voices swapped to the new device as i am sure it wont be straight forward.

I hope this helps a bit and gives you something else to try.
BAZZA77
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 550 googe search Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
BAZZA77 wrote:

Last edited by BAZZA77 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
BAZZA77
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 550 googe search Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
More in hope than expectation of a reply, DennisN wrote:
BAZZA77 wrote:

In response to which, BAZZA77 wrote:

Darren wrote:

In response to which, BAZZA77 didn't wrote:

Now forgive me for seeming a bit slow on the uptake, but why do you come here with questions/problems if you don't bother to reply to any suggestions or questions offered to you? Is this a wind up?
Very sorry,but i just overlooked you . Wont happen again.

Last edited by BAZZA77 on Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:03 am; edited 2 times in total
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: 550 googe search Reply with quote

BAZZA77 wrote:
NO NEVER DID A BACKUP,UPDATED STRAIGHT OUT THE BOX,SILLY ME!!!!!
No need to shout Shocked People here ARE trying to help you, but it seems that you don't want help, as you don't answer their questions. Sad
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@CanarySlayer
Please let us know how you get on Very Happy
BAZZA77
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Backup Reply with quote

Ok fair enough,By the way i did do a backup but when i linked the tomtom 550 live with mytomtom account.Tomtom home was trying to install an old map v660 that i bought ages ago.And a rang tomtom support,and they told me to reinstall tomtom home and delete everything off my computer.This i did and forgot to save backup,and it never cured it anyway.Dont suppose anyone got the last navcore before 9.026 as i could give it a try,but people are saying there google search is working fine on this 9.026.Another thing last night at work 550 went abit wild,wouldnt pick up a gps signal and when it did it had me in the sea,ive done two resets and seems ok now.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that would be a backup using Home, NOT Windows Explorer and explains why our FAQ Number 1 says to do it using Windows Explorer. Strange that TomTom didn't tell you to do a Windows Explorer backup - they have been doing that over recent months as part of their (ineffective) reinstall "solution".

Anyway, I'll not comment on you editing your posts to remove offensive content, just wish you didn't do it.

It seems to me there have already been answers to your problem (apart from not having a backup!).

Best one is from Darren who tells you your rights are with the retailer, not TomTom and advises you to contact the retailer.

Somebody wonders if the retailer has been playing around with different maps, putting a UK map onto a Dutch device.

There is the comment about your Dutch SIM card and whilst Mike says it's enabled for roaming by default, I find that strange - Mike is far better informed than I am, but I have to wonder why they would enable roaming on a regional SIM in a device which can only be used in the country of purchase - I have a Nokia phone with a PAYG UK SIM which doesn't work anywhere abroad, not Nokia's fault of course, why should TT Sims be any different? - as I understand it, the 550 doesn't have the memory to load any extra maps, of say Holland or France etc, so why enable roaming, particularly if you don't know where? I wouldn't expect my XL Live UK&ROI to work in Europe. When Live services were first introduced, they certainly only worked in country of purchase, even for Europe TT devices - TT had not settled roaming agreements.

Edited to add.... Stop messing about trying to solve it yourself. Take Darren's advice, get onto the retailer and demand a replacement for one which works (or a refund).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: