Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - FREE Lifetime Map/traffic Updates for new NA models!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

FREE Lifetime Map/traffic Updates for new NA models!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then there is this (backtracking) from TT:

To make its PNDs even more interesting for consumers, TomTom also announced at CES it would bring to market lifetime traffic and lifetime map update options in 2010. The real-time traffic information – from Clear Channel and INRIX - will be downloaded via a RDS-TMC module compatible with some existing and all future devices. “This will be a paid option, but in some cases we will use these options to run special promotions with our partners that will offer these services bundled for free.”
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, changes to Tomtom maps have happened rarely if ever. Stories are legion here of changes reported years ago, and repeatedly, still not implemented. Easy to give those kind of "updates" away for free. More surprising is how long they've got away with charging for them.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit late, I know, but here is the lowdown on the lifetime offers announced by TomTom.

Firstly I was a bit miffed at the way they released the info. We interviewed them the day before they made the press release and nothing was mentioned or even hinted (despite a direct question) of this. The announcement slipped out when we were on the show floor with no access to the Internet.

I managed to to speak to the Corporate Communications Manager to pose some questions about the Lifetime offers.

Basically the Lifetime means the serviceable life of the device. I questioned the definition of serviceable and was told that it meant as long as the device was operational they would support it. This support will continue even if the whole structure of the mapping format is changed. The average lifetime of a PND is 2 years, but when asked they said they would still support devices that reach the age of 5 years.

Also the Lifetimes Updates will not be free but will be priced in a hardware/software bundle. This means that effectively that there will be a base price for the unit, then a premium for the lifetime map updates, and a separate premium for the lifetime traffic. Therefore they will be offering three different configuration options for each hardware device.

The lifetime traffic will be provided by hardware in the Power Line Connector removing the need for a trailing antenna. From my discussions it is not quite clear what the format will be but I assume it will be RDS-TMC. This new power lead will form the traffic bundle.

I asked if the lifetime updates would be available for legacy devices, and was told that there are discussions going on at the moment and it has not been ruled out. No decision seems to have been made either way.

I also asked if the same would be available in Europe and other regions and was told that this was purely a US business unit decision. Europe was subject to different marketing plans and they was unable to comment on them.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike (I heard you were there Laughing ).

There is some feeling that TomTom really do not know what their marketing strategy is. And the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Initially they reported the EASE (a.k.a Start) would have free maps included, then they backtracked on that ....

All new models being introduced and 'maybe' some existing models....

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
The lifetime traffic will be provided by hardware in the Power Line Connector removing the need for a trailing antenna. From my discussions it is not quite clear what the format will be but I assume it will be RDS-TMC. This new power lead will form the traffic bundle.

That suggests HD Traffic to me.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamaster wrote:

Could be either. That doesn't suggest any particular delivery method.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to TomTom's Vice President of Marketing, it's RDS-TMC.
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever happened to the in-line HD Traffic receiver that was punted a year or two ago as an means of updating pre-LIVE legacy units? Did it ever see the light of day?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamaster wrote:
Whatever happened to the in-line HD Traffic receiver that was punted a year or two ago as an means of updating pre-LIVE legacy units? Did it ever see the light of day?

It was releases in Holland but TT chose not to honour the original promise to make it available in other markets.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamaster wrote:
MikeB wrote:

Definitely not HD traffic, they would have said if it was and more fanfare. They would also have to pay a subscription to the wireless carrier for an indefinite period.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North America don't have HD Traffic, even the Live connected devices don't get the same type of service we enjoy within Europe where the HD Traffic service is available.

If TomTom were going to launch HD Traffic in North America there would have been a huge fanfare/ song and dance, as it is they seem to be releasing a new type of RDS-TMC receiver that "might" be free to use for life depending upon which device it gets bundled with, with the receiver built in to the power supply/ charger lead (not that far away from what we have enjoyed in Europe for a number of years (quality of data might be a different issue when comparing UK/ NA though for RDS supplied traffic) - Mike
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamaster wrote:

I was wondering whether this device which was only ever released in Holland would now work in the UK as HD now has roaming across (nearly)all HD countries?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: