Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Icon on GO740 Live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Icon on GO740 Live
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
psyskiesman
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just spoken with a traffic cop, and he says, "The use of front fog lights in heavy rain is to make yourself visible to other motorists in THEIR rearview mirrors, nothing to do with seeing where you are going. The spray from the rear of your vehicle should be enough indication to following motorists so rear foglights should not be necessary, but no action would be taken against any motorist using rear lights in inclement weather."
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, and generally seems to agree with standard practice, though I challenge him to see any spray if it's dark!
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
Interesting, and generally seems to agree with standard practice, though I challenge him to see any spray if it's dark!
I challenge them to see anything if the car in front has their fog lights on in the rain! All it does is dazzle. I've never seen rain heavy enough to obscure the normal rear lights to an such an extent to cause danger. If the rain was that heavy, you'd have reduced your driving speed!

[/rant]

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
I've never seen rain heavy enough to obscure the normal rear lights to an such an extent to cause danger. If the rain was that heavy, you'd have reduced your driving speed!

Not that there are many busy motorways in Scotland, but on motorways in heavy traffic the spray lifted by lorry wheels creates a wall of water droplets above the motorway and you frequently cannot see the rear of the car in front if you are driving at a safe distance for your speed unless they have their rear fogs on. This wall of water is present often long after the rain has stopped falling and if you are on a road where you look down on the motorway it is an odd sight.

It would interesting to see whether this wall of water could be classified as fog.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
I've never seen rain heavy enough to obscure the normal rear lights to an such an extent to cause danger. If the rain was that heavy, you'd have reduced your driving speed!

Not that there are many busy motorways in Scotland...
Sadly, that used to be true, but you (don't!) want to try the M8!! Busy to a complete standstill most rush hours Sad

However, the Off Topic rant was brought on from driving up the M6 on Friday night, from Preston north, in torrential rain, being dazzled by fog lights. At no point did I think, "I'm glad they were driving with their fog lights on, I wouldn't have seen them otherwise!". They were in streams of traffic where I could clearly see past them to cars ahead of them driving without rear fogs. There would be a case, where they were the only car on the road ahead, where the fog lights would give additional warning.

We'd better cut the Off Topic before we get slapped by a Mod Embarassed

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Not that there are many busy motorways in Scotland,

Thats quite an generalisation there! Have you ever tried to drive through Glasgow at rush hour? Or even just during daylight hours! Traffic crawls along!

Then there is the A720 City Bypass around the South of Edinburgh, not a Motorway class road, but as good as. That is the same, busy pretty much any time of the day, don't even go there on rush hour!!

Just coz there aren't as many Motorways in Scotland, doesn't mean we don't have any less congestion or traffic!

iPhone 12
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree. As i am from clydebank the M8 is my main motorway and from 3.30pm till sometimes 8.30 especially a friday it can be cued for hours at a time and the TT says one minute delay.
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: