Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Flashing Headlights as a warning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Flashing Headlights as a warning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i don't see the difference between flashing someone to say "oi, be careful speeding cos there's cops there" and saying to someone copying cd's "oi, be careful, there are cops there" - would i really be arrested for telling someone they were breaking the law? surely it is as bad to turn a blind eye...

MaFt
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really feel the urge to flash oncomming motorists do it ONCE and remember the colour and type of car you flashed at, if you get pulled over claim it was Uncle Fred who owns a car of the same type and colour and you might get away with it as they have no idea who "Uncle Fred" is or what car he drives.
You need to be able to remember the car details though you don't need the number plate as he is a distant relative Wink - Mike
chrisbenwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If you really feel the urge to flash oncomming motorists do it ONCE and remember the colour and type of car you flashed at, if you get pulled over claim it was Uncle Fred who owns a car of the same type and colour and you might get away with it as they have no idea who "Uncle Fred" is or what car he drives.
You need to be able to remember the car details though you don't need the number plate as he is a distant relative Wink - Mike

Well I think I flashed at my uncle billy who drives a silver astra, and my uncle dave who is a private hire taxi driver. Coincidentally they were driving behind each other and neither of them know each other. Laughing

I wasn't pulled over at the time, so I guess the police couldn't have seen any reflection of me flashing.......
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if it is against the law (and I believe it is - as suggested, I think it's probably 'obstructing') do remember the police are quite canny - if they PARTICULARLY want to check for this at a particular place, don't assume that they only have vehicles/policepersons BEHIND you!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And lets be sensible about this here. The know full well that it goes on and we have all seen it go on. I've been warned and I've warned others.

What they would object to is someone who goes out of their way, perhaps stops and warns motorists for some time or goes around the block and warns motorists etc.

Police know that a trap is only of any use for a very small time and they also know that many drivers are so inattentive that they will continue to speed even having passed two or three motorists flashing to warn them.

Perhaps those motorists, the ones who drive around with their brain sin neutral and not concentrating on the task at hand deserve to be pulled over for a friendly chat?
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On occasions I have flashed drivers for reasons such as teddies left on a roof, doors partially open and other simiar reasons. On most occassions the driver just is oblivious to any interaction and drives on regardless. Same applies when someone passes you on the motorway and you try to gain their attention more often than not they are not using their mirrors so don't notice.

As I understood (as mentioned previously) the flashing of headlights was only originally to be used to indicate "Warning, I am here" in the same manner that the horn is, although it is generally accepted that the signal now may mean "I am giving way". These are the only two accepted meanings
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearing in mind there are plenty of drivers speeding through my village, why would I want to help them do so? Why would I actually give a damn if they got themselves banned?
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one Mullet - A view from the other side at last!

With all the recent talk (Joker ) about "speed doesn't kill", "when it's safe to speed", and so on, it seems to get forgotten that it can make life very unpleasant even when it's not quite life-threatening.

We had a bypass put round some of our villages a year or two ago and SINCE then the villagers have had to lobby for 'calming' measures to be introduced! With the traffic reduced so much, possible (but not legal!) speeds increased dramatically, so drivers going 'cross country' to places not served by the bypass seemed to think the road had been converted into a race track. Even though you didn't actually have to get run over as long as you were alert, it hardly makes for a relaxing and pleasant lifestyle (especially if you have young children).

Sometimes I think we drivers and riders step into a different world for our journeys.
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone were to be charged with obstruction or misleading police etc for flashing their lights then surely the camera database does the same thing.
And as you will now say, it warns of accidents blackspots, that would be what i would use as defence if i were caught flashing my lights at someone.

Just out of interest does either mullet or bigperk use the database?
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If someone were to be charged with obstruction or misleading police etc for flashing their lights then surely the camera database does the same thing.
No - it's simply that the first is against the law (I believe) but the second is not. No apparent similarity in the circumstances changes that.

If the magistrate accepts the defence though, fair enough ! Thumbs Up
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
No - it's simply that the first is against the law (I believe) but the second is not. No apparent similarity in the circumstances changes that.

I must be becoming more of an anarchist in my old age...
Don't you ever feel it is sensible to question the validity (or plain common sense) of certain laws? As soon as we blindly accept EVERY law that may be presented to us, we become mere chattels.

Time for bed.... Smile
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flashing headlights law is there for a good reason. It is a signal and its use is clearly defined in the Highway Code. If we choose to ignore that then we could misconstrue the signal and an accident could be the result.

Whilst I agree that Big Brother and some legislation needs questioning, that law has been in place since the Highway Code was enacted and it is common sense.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite agree with your sentiments in this case Darren...
My beef was solely against the "something's against the law, therefore it must be intrinsically bad" viewpoint.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't you ever feel it is sensible to question the validity (or plain common sense) of certain laws?
Andy_P, I hope you won't mind my quoting back
Quote:
That's not quite what I said....
but equally we must guard against questioning (denying) the validity of 'any' law?

I was only meaning to point out that debating similarities between circumstances, though possibly fascinating, can be a bit of a waste of time if the circumstances are actually totally different in law!

Like Darren (er everyone?), I've warned and been warned, but it's silly to go overboard when doing it, and then complain about it if booked.

We all know of unofficial 'flashing' (of the motoring kind), such as 'I am giving way' and 'it is safe for your HGV to pull back in front of my HGV' (not used too much by car drivers!), but they all still contravene the Highway Code, and so leave anyone responsible for an accident caused by a misunderstanding, 'in the dock'
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we all agree today. Group hug!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: