Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do i prove i was not speeding
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do i prove i was not speeding
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The officer does not need to carry a copy of PACe nor does he need to be wearing a Hi-Vis Jacket/vest.

I wish you luck but I'd be a lot more cautious about your chances.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How would i go about proving i was not speeding a police officer with a hand held camera said he clocked me doing 42 in a 30 M P H zone.
Author has my sympathy to a certain extent, only he knows what his speedo was showing.

If it had been me I would be fighting against it as I never, not saying I haven't many years ago, get to anywhere near 40 is a 30 limit, 33-34 maybe and if I received a ticket for that I'd probably accept it, but if I was clocked at 40+ the operator would have got the wrong reading or wrong car.

27 years without a speeding fine means, to me, Author sticks fairly close to the limits or has been VERY lucky over that time. My last speeding offence was in 1972, stitched up because the 30 signs were covered with foliage, no street lighting or houses to indicate the reduction from 40 and a police car right up my rear end for several miles. In court the police officer was asked 'Are the signs obscured'? and he replied 'No'. The question should have been 'WERE the signs obscured'. I was following my father-in-law and he got done too.

I fear Author will probably have to take it on the chin and pay up.
MalcolmS60
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in obtaining one of these devices, but would like answers to a couple of points if possible.
1) Is it possible to review (not amend or delete) the data recorded? If I was to be threatened with prosecution for excessive speed, I would like to be able to review the record myself, before producing it as evidence. I would also like to be able to check if any of my children have been speeding when they have borrowed the car (Big Daddy is watching you!).
2) If the records were presented to the police as evidence that your speed was not excessive at the time they say it was, but the record showed that you had exceeded the speed limit at some other time, say driving at 90MPH on a Motorway, could this record be used to prosecute you for that speeding offence?
I would be very grateful for answers to the above.
MalcolmS60
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalcolmS60 wrote:
I would be interested in obtaining one of these devices, but would like answers to a couple of points if possible.

I'll be publishing a full review of RoadHawk soon.

Not sure which device you are discussing but for Raodhawk:
Quote:
1) Is it possible to review (not amend or delete) the data recorded? If I was to be threatened with prosecution for excessive speed, I would like to be able to review the record myself, before producing it as evidence. I would also like to be able to check if any of my children have been speeding when they have borrowed the car (Big Daddy is watching you!).
Yes
Quote:
2) If the records were presented to the police as evidence that your speed was not excessive at the time they say it was, but the record showed that you had exceeded the speed limit at some other time, say driving at 90MPH on a Motorway, could this record be used to prosecute you for that speeding offence?

They would be presented in defence at court, not to the Police.

You need only disclose the file pertinent to the offence in question. RoadHawk records data as many short files of say 1min length. The Police could not use these as evidence sufficient to convict you of speeding and it is worthy of note that these devices are not a guarantee that a convction would be quashed. That would be a matter for the court to decide.
SpikeUK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
£1900!!! Have you seen this?

The data from this is encoded in a proprietary format that cannot be tampered with and would be admissible in court. It records location, speed and other data with video for under £300. You could fit yourself or have an auto-electrician do it for you for less than £50.

I've been reviewing it and it is good, I'm very impressed, so much so that I will be buying one.

@Darren - I have just bought a T-Eye, which is a very similar device, except that it it records forwards and rearwards, with sound, on to a SD card. It was just under £300.

Would you like me to put together a review of the device?

Last edited by SpikeUK on Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please.
mediaguycouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't this device depend on you pressing the button as you go past the policeman. If you didn't notice him (hiding behind the bushes) would it help?

I haven't really thought of it before reading this thread but I had a look what evidence I could use. I see that my Garmin 765T records logs, but I think that is an easily editable CSV file. My Phototrackr records my travels and speed, despite its mine purpose is geotagging photographs.

I suppose both together might make someone think twice.

[Edit] Example: http://www.gisteq.com/images/playback-800.jpg

Last edited by mediaguycouk on Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about T-Eye but RoadHawk (the device I am reviewing) is recording ALL the time.
mediaguycouk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I don't know about T-Eye but RoadHawk (the device I am reviewing) is recording ALL the time.

Do you mean just a trip log or everything? Or does the roadhalk not have a camera. I thought you mentioned the looping over old data when full. On a long journey that could easily hit 8 hours.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is recorded, video, sound and GPS data. It is easily capable of recording 24hrs onto a single 2GB SD card before it would loop.

The whole point is that you 'should' realise that in incident happened and at that point you would either remove the SD card or review it when you got home.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david1949 wrote:
£ 1 900 fitted worth it for pace of mind

Even if you were found guilty of speeding within 20MPH of a 30 limit , it would only cost you £60 Fixed penalty and 3 points, so why go to all that expense?

It doesn't matter if the Police officer was just wearing his underpants when you were caught speeding.

The problem with installing cameras in your own vehicle is that there may be self incriminating evidence on that video that could be used against you in a court of law if you were stopped for some other offence, not just speeding!

I think it better and safer if the Police provide the evidence.
If stopped by the Police, don't admit to any offence that may have taken place. Quite simple really!
mogsman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: this is a joke right? Reply with quote

Firstly i would like to say you are totally wasting your time compensation for what? from a police officer carrying out his duty irrespective of you infering equipment is faulty? as for pace? a police officer does not have to carry a copy of pace nor have one delivered to you like a pizza you are issued it by the desk officer when taken to the police station upon arrest on suspicion of something. What were you going to be arrested for? as for the notes you say he signed i think you are having a laugh and your solicitor must be as bad as you if he exists. the whole story smells of bull #### and i hope the notes were at least spelled correctly unlike your fantasy story.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did someone get out of the wrong side of the bed today ? Rolling Eyes
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested in how you got on David1949?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: