Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile cameras
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ian-in-northampton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team: very many thanks for all the help so far - I really appreciate it.

I've now taken the plunge and invested my £19 - yay!

I've also downloaded three sets of voices, and installed one set - using the 'alternative' method of placing them in the empty Sound folder. That worked!

However, I'm still struggling a little with one or two last minute details. Here are some questions:

1. In the map folder, as I noted previously, appear:

Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom.ov2
Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom.ov2.dct
Safety_Cam_UK_TomTomOv2.ver

Do I delete all three of these files, or just the .ov2 file? And then paste the ov2 files from the download into the map folder?

2. Nowhere, when I explore the TomTom using Windows Explorer, can I find any image files (I'm looking for .bmps). The PGPSW database comes with a .bmp for each camera type. Where do I put these .bmp files?

3. In the instructions on the web site, the safety cameras are shown as being part of the POI section. However, as Andy noted, they are now handled differently. 'TomTom Safety Cameras' has its own section within 'Change Preferences'. Clicking on this takes you to another screen where you can 'Change warning preferences'. This takes you to a list of camera types, and for each one, you can choose to cancel the warning, set the warning distance/time and allocate the sound.

Will this list automatically change to show the different cameras included in the PGPSW database?

4. What's the deal with the two different .bmp files in the PGPSW database? I assume the '2X' file is a larger image. How do I choose which to use? Do I just copy the ones I want - or do I copy all of them - or what?

5. If everything should go pear-shaped - am I right in thinking I can get everything working again by either a) copying my backup back to the TomTom, or b) do I recall, there's a 'restore factory settings' button somewhere on the TomTom?

Thanks again for your time - and patience…
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian-in-northampton wrote:
Team: very many thanks for all the help so far - I really appreciate it.

I've now taken the plunge and invested my £19 - yay!

I've also downloaded three sets of voices, and installed one set - using the 'alternative' method of placing them in the empty Sound folder. That worked!

However, I'm still struggling a little with one or two last minute details. Here are some questions:

1. In the map folder, as I noted previously, appear:

Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom.ov2
Safety_Cam_UK_TomTom.ov2.dct
Safety_Cam_UK_TomTomOv2.ver

Do I delete all three of these files, or just the .ov2 file? And then paste the ov2 files from the download into the map folder?

Delete all three, make sure you have a backup first though.
Quote:
2. Nowhere, when I explore the TomTom using Windows Explorer, can I find any image files (I'm looking for .bmps). The PGPSW database comes with a .bmp for each camera type. Where do I put these .bmp files?

They go in the map folder together itch their matching .ov2 files.
Quote:
3. In the instructions on the web site, the safety cameras are shown as being part of the POI section.

That is correct
Quote:
However, as Andy noted, they are now handled differently. 'TomTom Safety Cameras' has its own section within 'Change Preferences'. Clicking on this takes you to another screen where you can 'Change warning preferences'. This takes you to a list of camera types, and for each one, you can choose to cancel the warning, set the warning distance/time and allocate the sound.

Will this list automatically change to show the different cameras included in the PGPSW database?

You are confusing TomTom's cameras and ours.
Quote:
4. What's the deal with the two different .bmp files in the PGPSW database? I assume the '2X' file is a larger image. How do I choose which to use? Do I just copy the ones I want - or do I copy all of them - or what?

Copy both into the map folder. The X2 version appears to top left, the other is displayed on the road itself.
Quote:

5. If everything should go pear-shaped - am I right in thinking I can get everything working again by either a) copying my backup back to the TomTom, or b) do I recall, there's a 'restore factory settings' button somewhere on the TomTom?

Thanks again for your time - and patience…

Yes, a backup will restore all back to its state pre-backup.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Yes, a backup will restore all back to its state pre-backup.

Have you backed up using explorer. I believe that it is generally suggested that the Home backup misses files.
ian-in-northampton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, as Andy noted, they are now handled differently. 'TomTom Safety Cameras' has its own section within 'Change Preferences'. Clicking on this takes you to another screen where you can 'Change warning preferences'. This takes you to a list of camera types, and for each one, you can choose to cancel the warning, set the warning distance/time and allocate the sound.

You are confusing TomTom's cameras and ours.

Wow - many thanks again guys.

Darren: sorry if I've confused you, or confused myself (or betrayed my lack of understanding).

The TomTom provides a list of types of cameras (even though they're not all present) for you to assign different characteristics to (distance, audible warning etc.) The PGPSW provides not only all the cameras installed (in theory, at least) on the TomTom, but many more by virtue of the associated speed.

For example, where the TomTom only has one generic GATSO, the PGPSW database has GATSO 20, GATSO 30, GATSO 40 and so on.

My question is, therefore, whether the limited list on the TomTom gets automatically updated/replaced by a longer list associated with the PGPSW database.

M8TGT: yes, a backup has been done via Windows Explorer - thanks for checking.

Again, many thanks. I'm sensing/hoping tomorrow may be the day (if I can manage to avoid IKEA, Homebase, B&Q etc. etc.... Mad )
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is, therefore, whether the limited list on the TomTom gets automatically updated/replaced by a longer list associated with the PGPSW database.

The idea is to remove the TomTom Saftey Camera database files from the device and install the Speed Camera Database from Pocket GPS World, then you configure a specific warning for each of the camera categories by going to Change Preferences/ Manage POI/ Warn When near POI - you only need to do this once.

When an update to the PGPSW files is made available simply download it, unzip it and copy the files to the map folder which will replace the old data with the new. No alterations to the warnings will be necessary for updates - Mike
ian-in-northampton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Mike. I'm sure I'm being unduly cautious... I'll just remove the appropriate files from the TomTom, whack the PGPSW files over on to it and see what happens. I'll let you all know how I get on. Cheers, Ian
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember - TomTom's own data was dealt with in the Plus Services menu.
Pocket GPS World's is dealt with in the Manage POIs menu.
ian-in-northampton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, team, many thanks again.

Andy: thanks for your last note - without it, I may have become a little concerned... (I'd have looked in the wrong place)

The good - no, 'excellent' - news is that I've installed the camera database, and associated the warnings with each type of camera - and everything seems to be just fine. I'm really excited (sad, isn't it?)

I'm about to go out and road test it: that's right - I'm going to voluntarily drive past speed cameras. I'll let you know how it goes.

In the meantime:

1. Thanks for not only all the detailed help, but also giving me the confidence to press on.

2. One last question: I understood everything but the 'pmobile' cameras, and it looks as if there aren't specific sounds associated with them. Can anyone tell me what they are?

Cheers, Ian.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2. One last question: I understood everything but the 'pmobile' cameras, and it looks as if there aren't specific sounds associated with them. Can anyone tell me what they are?

pMobiles are explained on the download page, to the right of the download selection boxes.
ian-in-northampton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

pMobiles are explained on the download page, to the right of the download selection boxes.

Got it - thanks Darren! Now for that road test...
ian-in-northampton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road test passed with flying colours!

I see this thread has received over 700 visits. If any of you were reading it wondering "Should I?" - based on my experience so far of both the database and the outstanding help, I can only 100% recommend it.

Many thanks again to all involved.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final point.... Whether you get sound files for the "pMobiles" in the voice pack you download depends on which one you choose.
Some of them were recorded before the "pMobile" category was invented, so that's the simple reason they aren't there. Others were made by people who didn't use the pMobiles so didn't bother with them.

We realise the situation isn't perfect and I'm going to have another look at the packs to see what can be done.
In the meantime there are three things you can do....

1. Download an "add-on" pack for the pMobiles (from the same page HERE) There are at least two - "Liz" and "Crystal".

2. Use one of the packs that have them already included - such as "Simon"

3. If you use one of the other voices, you can (on your PC) make copies of the normal mobile files and rename the copies to match the names of the pMobiles. So the COPY of "pocketgps_uk_mobile_20.ov2" becomes "pocketgps_uk_pmobile_20.ov2", and so on for the other seven.
ian-in-northampton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy - all noted.

I'm sure I should dtart a new thread for the next question, but I'm a noob... Laughing

In my brief experience so far, the database has thrown up:

a) a mobile camera location where I have never seen a mobile camera in 25+ years of driving the road in question (the A509 at Wollaston). Perhaps I've been lucky - or perhaps the database needs updating?

b) no warning of a mobile camera that is notorious - or at least, it was until a few months ago (it would appear pretty much every week at morning rush hour) - on the Mereway in Northampton.

What's the official process for reporting these?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my brief experience so far, the database has thrown up:

a) a mobile camera location where I have never seen a mobile camera in 25+ years of driving the road in question (the A509 at Wollaston). Perhaps I've been lucky - or perhaps the database needs updating?

Well it's in there because more than one person has seen it. All mobile cameras are purged if they are not the subject of further reports at 6mths for pMobiles and 12mths for verified mobiles.
Quote:
b) no warning of a mobile camera that is notorious - or at least, it was until a few months ago (it would appear pretty much every week at morning rush hour) - on the Mereway in Northampton.

We only want reports of cameras 'seen', we don't want third party reports etc.

To report a camera site use the reporting page here.
ian-in-northampton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darren. Re 'third party reports' - I should perhaps have made it clear that the camera in question is (was) on my way to work every morning.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: