Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi Speed camera
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi Speed camera
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem you are experiencing i am seeing too when using the CSV files from here. I've even downgraded the POILoader to 2.4.2 and downgraded my Firmware too, but with no change.

Weird thing is no one seems to have reported this before. There was a similar instance with the Single File Database where the Variable cams and some RedLight cameras wouldn't alert because of an error in the file names but that was corrected. Certainly not seen it with Consolidated or Speed Zoned....
scoobynut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds far too easy!. I'll give it a bash tonight.
Thanks for the help.
Steve
scoobynut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, on the way in today I got some alerts from the variables, but I don't think from every camera set. I'm sure that the TomTom does, the redlight on the a30 near me did not come up at all, but I wonder if the way CM sets the alerts means I would only get it on route as I don't actually go through the lights, I pass on a service road net to them, they certainly used to alert. Does the CM software set evrything up to only alert if you are over the speed limit?.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does the CM software set everything up to only alert if you are over the speed limit?.

CM sets up 2 sets of alerts. The first is a proximity (approach) alert. A single bong to indicate that a camera is coming up. It'll alert regardless of speed. The second alert is an Over-Speed alert which is a continuous bong, bong, bong which only sounds if you are close to the camera and over the posted speed limit. You can adjust the settings in the Timings section of CM. If you set them too low then the time between the bongs can mean you don't hear the bongs.

I use the following settings

GATSO, RedLight, Specs and Temp - Approach 30 seconds, Over-speed 15 seconds.

Mobile - Approach 45 seconds, Over-speed 20 seconds
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please would someone who can, stick an "a" on the end of "camer" in the title? Smile
(i know I should get a life, but its bugging me! Rolling Eyes )
scoobynut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see a camer in the title.
I will have a look tonight again at the settings I just loaded the default ones, unless the memory has gone I thought it had the first alerts at 30 and the second alerts at 45, maybe I should have paid more attention, as that does not make a lot of sense does it.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can't see a camer in the title.

I fixed it....

Quote:
I thought it had the first alerts at 30 and the second alerts at 45, maybe I should have paid more attention, as that does not make a lot of sense does it.

It should be the other way round. The first alert is the Approach Alert (look out, there a camera ahead) which always sounds and the second is the Over-speed Alert (you are getting close and over the posted limit). The Approach Alert always sounds regardless of speed, the second only whilst still speeding.

Once you make the changes click Apply and wait a second or two. CM should generate new GPX files which you need to upload to your Nuvi.

Quote:
Well, on the way in today I got some alerts from the variables, but I don't think from every camera set.

Not every gantry has a live camera on it. They are moved about and the database reflects the positions of the Live Cameras only. Any dummy or empty camera boxes are not on the database. The position of the Live Cameras are verified by the Verifiers on this website.

Quote:
the redlight on the a30 near me did not come up at all,

If you have a route set then it only warns of cameras you will actually pass on route, even if you come very close to the camera. If you don't have a route set you do get "false alerts" from cameras on side roads, but Garmins default settings for POI Alerts seem to be quite a long range. Using CM may have reigned in that range hence it doesn't alert now until much closer.
scoobynut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that all makes sense. I will recheck the setting tonight, as I said, I just loaded the defaults without paying too much attention, I don't see why it would have defaults set the wrong way round, more likely faulty memory. More worrying is that I have probebly been driving around for ages with a hopelessly out of date database, not realising it was not working, guess I just got lucky!.
scoobynut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faulty memory, the default settings were as you said.
However, on the way home tonight I was watching carefully, I didn't pass any fixed cameras, but loads of mobile ones, they all bonged 45 seconds out, but then kept bonging until I passed them, even though I was well under their speed trigger. I have just rerun the poi loader manually and left the garmin setting on ignore for the cameras to see if that fixes it. I think it's just a question of mucking about until I find a setup that works.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have just rerun the poi loader manually and left the garmin setting on ignore for the cameras to see if that fixes it.

Not sure what you mean by "rerun the poi loader manually" but are you running it in Manual or Express Mode? You should leave it in Express Mode. CM does all the work for you.

Quote:
I think it's just a question of mucking about until I find a setup that works.

Strange, the method i described works fine for me.
scoobynut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I meant, when I ran poi loader yesterday I did it in express mode, and I had the problem today of the constant bongs. So I reran it tonight in manual mode to see what it was doing. the cameras went through on ignore by default, (except for redlight which had a distance alert). I don't know if the settings would be the same in express mode. I'll find out tomorrow. If I still get constant bongs I'll have to give up and live with it I think, at least I am getting alerts.
scoobynut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ha. now I know what it's doing I think. I just tried a gatso, mobile, and truvelo, I am getting the approach bong, but then getting overspeed bong for ANY speed over 0, ie if I stop after the approach, the bong stops. Or is that normal?. More fiddling required I think.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's start again.

Open CM and make sure you have the following settings selected

If yours match mine here, change one of the settings and click Apply. Then change it back and click Apply. This will regenerate the GPX files.

Make sure you only have the GPX files, BMP files and the PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database.zip file in the POI Folder. Basically make sure you have no other speed camera database files. Then upload the files to your Nuvi. Make sure you have MPH and Express selected in the options.

Goto Tools, Settings, Proximity Alerts, Change... and untick Garmin Cameras.

Now try it. That's all i do and it works for me.
scoobynut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Update and end. Reply with quote

What you suggested is roughly what I had done before. As a test I got a fresh laptop, loaded CM and POIloader on it, did an express load with default settings, and......no good. the Nuvi bongs on the first alert, then keeps bonging every few seconds no matter what speed I am going.
I reloaded the CM database again, and ran POIloader in manual mode, setting each camera to alert if over xx speed, and that works fine, single bong on approach, then silent unless I go over the speed. So there is some quirk there, but it's working so I'm happy. Thanks for the help.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why it doesn't work for you then......

I've been trying the Garmin database all weekend and this afternoon / evening and can't work out what's going on. We have 3 threads with similar (no alert) problems. I can replicate the problem by loading the CSV files on my Nuvi. I can find Monitrons that don't alert, RedLight camera with no overspeed warning, yet.... the GPX version of the files works..... yet i can see nothing wrong with the files. Downgrading POILoader and/or Firmware changes nothing.

Tomorrow I'm using the GPX database on my Nuvi and the i3 gets a trip out with the Consolidated CSV database....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: