Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mapshare Corrections Working?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mapshare Corrections Working?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest "question" to TomTom:
Quote:

Customer (Andy P) 06/04/2008 05.31 PM
As I'm sure you are aware, Map Share has been broken again for several days...

In Home, Tools/Mapshare/Preferences, the 'select country' list comes up empty ("No items available").

Would it not be a good idea to either get "Home" to provide a clear message to say it is broken, or if not, to put an announcement on your WEBSITE, rather like Computer ISPs have a "service status" section.

and their reply:
Quote:
Dear Mr P

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

Your comments and suggestions will be passed to our mapping team.

We apologise for the down time of the map corrections main server.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least they admit the problem is at their end Rolling Eyes perhaps some time in the future they might just employ a few software programmers who know what they are doing and get it working for everybody. Idea
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
pete1336
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapshare updates working for me as of 3pm Uk time.
Regards,
Pete Laughing
Tobas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and working here on my office PC.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one who wasn't getting mapshare updates for my NA 710 map on my 720 unit these past days while others both in this forum and in the US forum I frequent were saying it's working again.

For the last, I dunno, a week or so, it's been showing 2941 map updates.

Anyway, last evening, I went to TTHome and in the menu option for Mapshare Options chose to remove corrections made by others, which Home did. I then tried the update process again. This time, it did dl a mapshare update and, when completed, reported 16,000 + mapshare changes in use.
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried and got a Tiny MapShare update, counter is now showing 50,487.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
mattcu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone else still not getting the updates? I tried last night with no joy. Having read that others are now getting theirs successfully, I contacted TT for their advice.

They suggested unsubscribing from Mapshare, resetting my TT920T to factory settings, deleting ALL the corrections (including my own) and resubscribing. Clearly I'm not that keen to do this, re-entering all my settings and corrections will be a pain.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am still NOT getting the updates.

I am NOT getting them on a GO510. I did get a QuickGPSFix file update, before that Home said my map was out of date and there were 18??? updates waiting, after the QGPSF update Home said the map was up to date although it did not dowload any mapshare updates.

I am also NOT getting them on a new One Version 3. I have never had them on this device which I've only had for a week. I did get a free upgrade to a 715 map though so at least that bit is working.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you mind replying to them and ask WHY you had to raise a support question to find that out, and waste everyone's time?
How many people must have asked this same question over the last few days?
How difficult would it be to put a "service status" note on their website telling everybody that it is down?

Seems basic common sense to me... Stop it!
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
How many people must have asked this same question over the last few days?
How difficult would it be to put a "service status" note on their website telling everybody that it is down?

Seems basic common sense to me... Stop it!

In absolute agreement Andy. Their website is the first place I look (well alright, the second - after these forums) for a signal from them that there is an acknowledged fault and they are dealing with it (like when the traffic servers etc weren't coping around Christmas). But in reality it's the last place to find any real from-the-horse's-mouth information about what's happened and what they are doing to put it right. I think I might have a tad more respect for TomTom (some politicians too!) if they were to openly admit to faults, put effort into resolving issues sooner, and signal their appreciation of the angst caused to some of their customers who have spent a lot of dosh on their products.
mattcu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad I checked this forum first before following TT's advice and wiping my device of all corrections & settings.

Shocking customer service if they can still dispense such a diverse range of answers to fault tickets raised with them, especially when the magnitude of the problem should have led to them all being aware that the fault is at their end.

Andy P -- couldn't agree more with you. I've just told them so when I updated my fault ticket, quoting the above response from Customer Support. I bet they don't even reply.. the blunt end of outsourced customer support.
Tobas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very weird, I'm 99.9% sure home said I'd got 50 thousand and something mapshare corrections yesterday and it was up-to-date. Today is says 42372 and up-to-date Confused
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me, there is a simple way to check if you are ABLE to get Mapshare updates at the moment (as opposed to whether there are any new ones to download).

Connect the TomTom to the PC and load up Home.
MAKE SURE YOU ARE PROPERLY LOGGED IN (can you see your email address in the top right of the Home main screen?)
Go to Tools / Mapshare / Mapshare Preferences, and check the "Select Countries" tab

Give it time to load, and if the list comes up saying "No Countries Available" then it's broken (in all probability at 'their end').
If you DO get a list of countries, then THAT bit is working.

The same cannot be said for the POI category list in the other tab. Those always seem to show your correct preferences, but there have been no POI updates for months (except one day a month ago).

Yesterday I had no countries available.... today (as of two minutes ago), I DID have the full countries list, but it still didn't come up with any corrections.
That may or may not mean that there aren't any, or be because they are behind with loading them onto the system, who knows?

All I know is that in the past, I could download them and then repeat the exercise a few minutes later and there would always be just a few more, so I find it unlikely that there really aren't any.

BUT.... If I go to the preferences and "remove all corrections from other people etc." then it DOES re-download them. This implies to me that they have fixed the download problem, but are way behind on loading any NEW ones onto the system.
What do others think?
3GGG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am logged in - but Select countries says No items available.
This is with Macintosh TT Home v2.2.28
I suspect the Mac software more than anything.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
BUT.... If I go to the preferences and "remove all corrections from other people etc." then it DOES re-download them. This implies to me that they have fixed the download problem, but are way behind on loading any NEW ones onto the system.
What do others think?

Are you sure it's actually downloading them? When I try that route it certainly reapplies some corrections, but doesn't seem to donwload them - it may already have them cached on the PC somewhere.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: