Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hi All
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi All
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi There,

Until the unexpected news then they were working on other fixes and version 8 too...but now all tht staff will be lossing their jobs too so no V8.

I will check with the developers how far they have got with any fixes and what can be released....

Here to help as always...

Stu

www.leyio.com

Keep your eyes open in 2009 for a new way to share and swap files......Leyio!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EddyDC wrote:
It was in the news that Michelin made 35% more profit or 774 mil. euro. Despite that they gonna close the factory in Toul and put 826 people on the street. What kind of a company is that?

Makes you wonder why they are pulling out the GPS market, or at least have sold it as a going concern?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it didn't contribute to that profit!
Deepfour
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so it’s clear.

ViaMichelin is a company in its own right and not a division of Michelin - Michelin owns the subsidiary as the only share holder. We have to operate as our own profit and loss centre.
Michelin as a whole has very good work ethics - It owns its own rubber plantations but allows the growers working there to grow their own crops in between the plants while they are taking the 15 years to mature to a state to produce rubber.
Everything they do is based around sustainable development and they are run as a co-operative where the elected head is solely responsible for the losses of the company.
My father spent 30 years working for Michelin and although like most companies they have to take painful decisions, on the whole they are very good!
Would there be any point having a factory open making unwanted tyres and causing a stock pile of used rubber?

There's a lot more to consider here including ViaMichelin, Michelin and the PND market as a whole.

Cheers

Stu

www.leyio.com

Keep your eyes open in 2009 for a new way to share and swap files......Leyio!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification

Deepfour wrote:
Just so it’s clear.

Stu
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu - will map updates continue to be made available by VM periodically as at present, at standard (ie non-Advantage) prices, or have they stopped completely as well? If VM have stopped, is there any other source to get them from? And how about additional Nuance TTS voices - can they be obtained from Nuance or anywhere else?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deepfour wrote:
Hi There,

Until the unexpected news then they were working on other fixes and version 8 too...but now all tht staff will be lossing their jobs too so no V8.

I will check with the developers how far they have got with any fixes and what can be released....

Here to help as always...

Stu

I hope that some fixes can be released at least. Crying or Very sad
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deepfour wrote:
Hi Everyone

As for the 2 yr updates I can now confirm that these wont continue. Anyone who has signed up WILL get a full refund and a free gift (Not sure what yet as I havent been told).

Stu Smile

Anymore news of when / how the refunds are to take place? Or have you now moved on to your new role, if so any idea who we try to contact over this?
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk wrote:
Deepfour wrote:
Hi Everyone

As for the 2 yr updates I can now confirm that these wont continue. Anyone who has signed up WILL get a full refund and a free gift (Not sure what yet as I havent been told).

Stu Smile

Anymore news of when / how the refunds are to take place? Or have you now moved on to your new role, if so any idea who we try to contact over this?

I want my refund too! I hope they don't keep it...
irishetcher
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that although it may be laudable that Michelin has good work ethics elsewhere, the manner in which ViaMichelin has left the PND business is not.

The website (as of today 28th Feb 2008) still advertises products and gives the impression that it is still open for business. I purchased my X 980T at the end of January unaware of what was announced on Jan 11th. Dabs.ie whom I purchased from gave no indication that the product was about to be discontinued. I am guessing that Dabs may not have been aware of the situation as well?

Initially it was a toss up between the ViaMichelin and a Garmin. Despite the fact that Garmin uses Navtech, which has the best maps for Ireland, I went with the X 980T because I liked the interface, and I bought this first GPS with Michelin Guide for use in France this coming Summer.

I found out about the 11th of Jan announcement just after I took delivery of the Michelin. With some trust and faith I was hoping that there would be some sort of support, updates and up to date maps for at least a year or two. This does not seem to be the case.

The other thing is that whoever compiles the Michelin Guide and maps for Ireland and incorporates in the maps should get a good dressing down. I found several restaurants that are 1KM in the wrong place. Several Filling stations are in the wrong location as well. Some really bad instructions on routes.

Examples.

1. On a straight main road between two towns there is an instruction to turn sharp right and then left. There is no junction and in fact the route is straight on for the journey. This is in fact a safety hazard, despite what anyone says about using your own judgement, as it is completely out of the blue.

2. One route shows a turn on the main map but the next turn interface and the voice does not indicate this. The junction is not new and is the main route to the destination.

3. The state of the Irish road network is changing rapidly with new dual carriageways and by-passes coming on stream in the next year and thereafter. This means that my X 980T is going to become obsolete quite quickly unless there are map updates that also correct the anomalies I mentioned above. A shame as it is a good piece of equipment

Sending any feedback to Michelin on these issues has not resulted in any replies except for one from the webmaster at the end of January indicating that my concerns would be passed on to the department concerned.

The upshot of this is that if the ViaMichelin had "Discontinued" plastered across their products page, I would have bought a Gramin. The fact that they did not, is in my opinion, false advertising.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: