Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - C510 USB connection help please!! :(
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

C510 USB connection help please!! :(
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do seem to have a problem there, you have tried just about everything now.

Two final suggestions:
1. Try it with another PC, see if that makes any difference.
2. Could it be a dodgy USB lead? See if you can borrow a replacement.

When you do find the answer, please post it here as I'm sure we will all be interested.

Sal
PS Yes, the little hole underneath is the hard reset, but not a factory default.
MikeS48
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[i dont suppose u've owned one of these and sent it back to mio/dabs and live in the middle of preston?
only reason i ask is because as i said this is a recon unit, and the home address was in the middle of preston. Laughing Out Loud ]

Lol - sorry, not guilty![/quote]
blackpool_lad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:

Two final suggestions:

When you do find the answer, please post it here as I'm sure we will all be interested.

Sal
PS Yes, the little hole underneath is the hard reset, but not a factory default.

tried both of the suggestions sal and same result each time.

tried it on a pc that has nearly no usb devices on it and is used very little (my dads pc :D ) and tried it with a cable that i know is working (from a usb card reader).

which means its only going to be one of 2 things, either unit itself or the driver.
so i guess its going to be a call to dabs in the morning.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackpool_lad wrote:
Sallyann wrote:

Two final suggestions:

Sal

tried both of the suggestions sal and same result each time.

tried it on a pc that has nearly no usb devices on it and is used very little (my dads pc :D ) and tried it with a cable that i know is working (from a usb card reader).

which means its only going to be one of 2 things, either unit itself or the driver.
so i guess its going to be a call to dabs in the morning.

The problem is probably connected with the fact that you don't have the complete installation CDs and that you tried to install the drivers manually when this method is not supported.

Manual installation of drivers can be dodgy to say the least with XP, 2000 (and Vista if my attempts to install Netgear drivers are anything to go by).

Why don't you ask someone to post you the appropriate disks and then simply follow the instructions in order to get the device working? I would send you the relevant disks but you would need to follow the installation instructions to the letter.

Positive: it's basically a good device which offers software features above and beyond that offered by almost any other in the price range (except TomTom); negative: customer and technical support does not really exist. It's a bit like buying something from Currys/Dixons and expecting after-sales service. Laughing Out Loud!
blackpool_lad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is probably connected with the fact that you don't have the complete installation CDs and that you tried to install the drivers manually when this method is not supported.

Manual installation of drivers can be dodgy to say the least with XP, 2000 (and Vista if my attempts to install Netgear drivers are anything to go by).

Why don't you ask someone to post you the appropriate disks and then simply follow the instructions in order to get the device working? I would send you the relevant disks but you would need to follow the installation instructions to the letter.[/quote]

just out of interest how have i tried to install the drivers manually?
i've tried every possible installation route and it doesnt make any difference.

how about u send ur instructions on here and then i can see if ive already tried doing what u suggest. Smile
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackpool_lad wrote:

Why don't you ask someone to post you the appropriate disks and then simply follow the instructions in order to get the device working? I would send you the relevant disks but you would need to follow the installation instructions to the letter.

how about u send ur instructions on here and then i can see if ive already tried doing what u suggest. Smile[/quote]

Well fair enough.

I'll dig out my install box tomorrow and post the instructions letter by letter here (if I can find it).

Basically though - don't connect the device to the PC until you've installed the relevant drivers by executing the install program provided on the CD. It's a sure recipe for disaster if you try to install the drivers manually - I'm not aware of anyone who has even claimed to have managed to do this.

Reminds me of a 33K modem I tried to install on Windows 98 a number of years back. The refrain of RTFM rang in my ears as, 2 restore points later, I finally found a workable opportunity to follow the instructions.

Mio support is very poor but Windows is famous for this sort of thing.

You really do need to get hold of both disks though.
blackpool_lad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
blackpool_lad wrote:

how about u send ur instructions on here and then i can see if ive already tried doing what u suggest. Smile

Well fair enough.

I'll dig out my install box tomorrow and post the instructions letter by letter here (if I can find it).

Basically though - don't connect the device to the PC until you've installed the relevant drivers by executing the install program provided on the CD. It's a sure recipe for disaster if you try to install the drivers manually - I'm not aware of anyone who has even claimed to have managed to do this.

Reminds me of a 33K modem I tried to install on Windows 98 a number of years back. The refrain of RTFM rang in my ears as, 2 restore points later, I finally found a workable opportunity to follow the instructions.

Mio support is very poor but Windows is famous for this sort of thing.

You really do need to get hold of both disks though.[/quote]

i've got the box here with the instructions in it and also the instruction manual on the cd it came with. non of them tell me anything different to the obvious of installing the software 1st and then plugging it in.

i've tried going back to a restore point previous of me plugging it in without having installed the software, installing the software and then plugging it in and if ud read my previous posts again ud see that ive also tried it on a different xp system by installing the software 1st and then plugging it in. its the same thing every time.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found both of my disks - let me know if you want them (they are branded as for the Mio C710 but the software is probably identical to the C710).

I wonder if your problem is linked with some sort of driver conflict.

Can someone answer this question: if you plug a Mio C510/C710 device in to a Windows PC (XP or Vista) will the device be described as a Windows Powered Pocket PC 2003 (or similar) even if the Mio drivers aren't installed on the PC (just the vanilla Windows plug and play drivers)? Is it normal for Windows to display unknown device even without the Mio specific drivers installed? Could someone plug their device in to a PC that has previously been untouched by the device (!) and post the answer here. I think the answer may be helpful to the op.

The fact that yours is described as "unknown device" may be relevant depending on the answer to the above question. I haven't been able to answer the above question definitively but I have uninstalled the Mio XP drivers and XP still detects the device as a Windows Pocket PC device although it can't exchange information with it. It may be the case that there is still driver info on my PC. I can't remember what happened when I first installed the device but I do remember that I had a tricky time getting things to work.

If it is the case that XP should detect the device as a Windows Pocket PC device without the Mio drivers then the fact that your PC isn't suggests there's a more fundamental problem somewhere.

I know you've tried it on another PC but on that PC was the device still not detected as a Windows Pocket PC device? Even if it wasn't detected it isn't necessarily a problem with the Mio device. There could be some sort of driver conflict and the fact that the device is being recognised by the PCs suggests that the device may be working correctly.

Anyway let me know if you want the missing disk.

Another thing is that for some unexplained reason there can be a problem even with a correctly installed driver when using the C710 (and I assume the C510). I've had this problem on a number of occasions and it has sometimes lasted for days - for no apparent reason the device connection has just started to work again. I think you'll find some other posts describing this problem if you search the archives here. It could be the case that you are having the same problem. I didn't think of checking the Mio's status in device manager but next time I will.
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same problem, i gave up(although i think Mio updater worked).
I just use the 2 button unlock to get in to windows CE and transfer any files from my computer i need using an SD card.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: