Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - First Impressions of v7 on the x980t
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

First Impressions of v7 on the x980t
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone a better way than the standard form or a direct contact at Tele Atlas? Sending stuff seems rather unidirectional.

Bertie100 wrote:

I think the incorrect speed warnings is a Teleatlas problem ( you should report them to Teleatlas), and incorrect speed camera s in BE are probably down to an inaccurate speed camera database (not controlled by Michelin). The speed cameras in the UK are extremely accurate in my experience, although I have turned the speed warnings off because the Teleatlas info is not upto date.

The ViaMichelin website states for BE:

1: The ""fixed safety camera"" functionality offered covers safety camera locations announced and broadcast by the authorities.

So if your authorities cannot provide accurate data then its not a ViaMichelin issue....

Last edited by EddyDC on Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EddyDC wrote:
Has anyone a better way than the standard form or a direct contact at Tele Atlas? Sending stuff seems rather unidirectional.

[quote="Bertie100]
I think the incorrect speed warnings is a Teleatlas problem ( you should report them to Teleatlas), and incorrect speed camera s in BE are probably down to an inaccurate speed camera database (not controlled by Michelin). The speed cameras in the UK are extremely accurate in my experience, although I have turned the speed warnings off because the Teleatlas info is not upto date.

The ViaMichelin website states for BE:

1: The ""fixed safety camera"" functionality offered covers safety camera locations announced and broadcast by the authorities.

So if your authorities cannot provide accurate data then its not a ViaMichelin issue....
[/quote]

Sorry can't help... I think the standard form is probably the only way. I often find that theTeleAtlas form does not have enough categories to define the mapping issue.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some countries refuse to publish accurate data on speed cameras, some even try to class them as illegal
RCorry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a long delay due to workload, I finally thought I'd like to add my 2 cents worth! All comments are for a X980T with V7.0.3 installed.

1. While Driving, I like the new V7 interface, especially, the larger map compared to V6. Other than that I think most of the changes are cosmetic. Menus are very similar and some have less functionality such as inability to set our own speed limits.

2. The Content Manager is a great feature with lots of potential. Much simpler to update from the web now - Speed Camera, Tourist Routes, etc.
    Advertised phone compatability is very misleading and could be something that needs to be raise with Trading Standards. The website claims that the Nokia 6233 is compatible: http://gps.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/GPS/htm/nav/x980t-newedition-functionalities.htm. It's not - hands free works OK but GPRS doesn't - which means that the main benefit of V7 is lost to me. I tried it with a 6230 phone and it worked - the Weather and Parking features looked great, plus the Quick Destination and I want to use them! I know the phone works because I can connect my laptop and I used the same Sim Card in the 6230.

3. I have the Slip Road problem as well, there is one dual carriageway where it doesn't seem to recognise the flyover road at all.

4. Why does it tell you that there are right hand and left hand bends at roundabouts - that's obvious - other than that, I like the bend warnings?

5. When merging onto the Motorway, it tells you to turn right from the slip road to the motorway, why not say merge right.

6. When coming to a junction the voice instructions give a shorter (more realistic) distance to the junction than the numerical value on the Pac Man window - is there an error?

7. When exiting Motorways it doesn't give any idea what lane to be in until it's too late, the map can be zoomed out to help but it's still confusing. I have seen a 3 year old system on a Renault Laguna that gives great graphics of junction layout and the lane to take.

8. The traffic warning system is archaic. What's the point in having it if it doesn't recalculate the journey time based on the delay? Again, the system on the Laguna was excellent - recalculating and offering realistic alternatives based on the new (realistic) calculated time.

9. TMC reception is great on the M27 corridor but I lose it once I get north of Winchester on the M3 and it doesn't come back all the way to the M25 (Heathrow and Gatwick) - again - kind of defeats the purpose of having it - I know the signal strength is down to Itis but manufacturers like ViaMichelin ought to be pushing for improvements. I think I'm going to try linking into the car ariel. If a diversion is required it takes too many steps to input it - and it's risky now due to the new laws! I wouldn't trust the SatNav to do it automatically without giving me warning.

10. 2007 maps are a great improvement to my original version, now has Ireland, which I visit alot.

11. Used it in several countries in Europe (just to follow routes while in a taxi) and all seems to work OK.

12. Speed limit warnings seems to use French speed limits, this needs to be adjustable - I don't use it due to inaccuracy.

13. Menus are not user friendly or intuitive. You need to be in Navigation mode to access soem menus - not often convenient and other options are in crazy places - like saving GPS Co-ordinates is lited in the Setting Menu. Searching for an address in My ViaMichelin takes too many steps as well. I'm sure alot of this can be tidied up.

So, some good points and many lose ends that I think could do with improvement. I think those areas need to be resolved before they start releasing V8 and expecting us to pay for it!

Feedback on my comments would be welcome! Robert
Cartography Edition 2007
Bertie100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCorry wrote:
After a long delay due to workload, I finally thought I'd like to add my 2 cents worth! All comments are for a X980T with V7.0.3 installed.

1. While Driving, I like the new V7 interface, especially, the larger map compared to V6. Other than that I think most of the changes are cosmetic. Menus are very similar and some have less functionality such as inability to set our own speed limits.

2. The Content Manager is a great feature with lots of potential. Much simpler to update from the web now - Speed Camera, Tourist Routes, etc.
    Advertised phone compatability is very misleading and could be something that needs to be raise with Trading Standards. The website claims that the Nokia 6233 is compatible: http://gps.viamichelin.co.uk/viamichelin/gbr/GPS/htm/nav/x980t-newedition-functionalities.htm. It's not - hands free works OK but GPRS doesn't - which means that the main benefit of V7 is lost to me. I tried it with a 6230 phone and it worked - the Weather and Parking features looked great, plus the Quick Destination and I want to use them! I know the phone works because I can connect my laptop and I used the same Sim Card in the 6230.

3. I have the Slip Road problem as well, there is one dual carriageway where it doesn't seem to recognise the flyover road at all.

4. Why does it tell you that there are right hand and left hand bends at roundabouts - that's obvious - other than that, I like the bend warnings?

5. When merging onto the Motorway, it tells you to turn right from the slip road to the motorway, why not say merge right.

6. When coming to a junction the voice instructions give a shorter (more realistic) distance to the junction than the numerical value on the Pac Man window - is there an error?

7. When exiting Motorways it doesn't give any idea what lane to be in until it's too late, the map can be zoomed out to help but it's still confusing. I have seen a 3 year old system on a Renault Laguna that gives great graphics of junction layout and the lane to take.

8. The traffic warning system is archaic. What's the point in having it if it doesn't recalculate the journey time based on the delay? Again, the system on the Laguna was excellent - recalculating and offering realistic alternatives based on the new (realistic) calculated time.

9. TMC reception is great on the M27 corridor but I lose it once I get north of Winchester on the M3 and it doesn't come back all the way to the M25 (Heathrow and Gatwick) - again - kind of defeats the purpose of having it - I know the signal strength is down to Itis but manufacturers like ViaMichelin ought to be pushing for improvements. I think I'm going to try linking into the car ariel. If a diversion is required it takes too many steps to input it - and it's risky now due to the new laws! I wouldn't trust the SatNav to do it automatically without giving me warning.

10. 2007 maps are a great improvement to my original version, now has Ireland, which I visit alot.

11. Used it in several countries in Europe (just to follow routes while in a taxi) and all seems to work OK.

12. Speed limit warnings seems to use French speed limits, this needs to be adjustable - I don't use it due to inaccuracy.

13. Menus are not user friendly or intuitive. You need to be in Navigation mode to access soem menus - not often convenient and other options are in crazy places - like saving GPS Co-ordinates is lited in the Setting Menu. Searching for an address in My ViaMichelin takes too many steps as well. I'm sure alot of this can be tidied up.

So, some good points and many lose ends that I think could do with improvement. I think those areas need to be resolved before they start releasing V8 and expecting us to pay for it!

Feedback on my comments would be welcome! Robert

Some good points there! I think you should send that to support (via the website) to make sure they listen for V8. Smile
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering just where we have got to really with V7.0.3 and the various problems we have been looking to have resolved. I've just been through the main thread (quickly) and have listed those points people raised that I saw which have affected me (ie not those others have had which I did not suffer from) - I'm sure it's not complete. I have not found ANY points which have been corrected/enhanced, though admittedly some will be for V8. I've listed those below with the ones I have been able to check so far in bold, none of which seem to have changed - certainly not in the ways hoped for by contributers as far as I could tell:

- The screen scrolling looked a bit juddery

- It selected a different road given my postcode**It takes you to the beginning, middle or end of the road (depending where the house no is)

- Night modus based on time is useless and thus I get the irritating day modus when it's getting dark. A sensor is a must. A button on screen to put in night modus is also OK.

- The speed warnings on roads are far from accurate and unneeded (French limits?), especially when drive up of a motorway (where you need to speed up)

- There is indeed a delay/lag. It warned me that there was a school in neighborhood. Problem is that I passed it already and I wasn't speeding.

- I don't see the use of the speed on top (Dashboard). All cars have a speedometer. Trouble is that one can't replace it by eg time of arrival as with the other two indicators

- fonts on the navigation bar telling you what road you are on and most important the next road you require they are both so small that you can hardly see them you get a large white box and in the centre they put ie A34 so small

- Additional TTS voices (eg Daniel for UK-ENG)

- Motorway sliproad problem : reported still a problem by others

- Phone connection problems : reported still a problem by others

It would be very useful if people could report any noticeable improvements - I have not been using the 980 too much at the moment (obviously Guinness )

This all seems a bit of a shame - I hope Stu can give us a bit of a round up soon of the details of the actual goodies we have now received since the initial V7, as the VM website info has been so vague; and possibly a view on which comments are planned for implementation and which, for whatever reason, are not.

We will get there soon! I'm not worrying any more tonight - better things to do ( Cheers! )
EddyDC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only agree with these findings. Also check my remarks earlier this tread. I've been driving with the 7.03 and I'm still searching for any difference with a previous 7 version, if any.
Drifter47
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
I don't see the use of the speed on top (Dashboard). All cars have a speedometer. Trouble is that one can't replace it by eg time of arrival as with the other two indicators
I cannot comment on V.7 yet as I am still waiting for Stu to come back to me about the missing disc. I would like to say that the both additional speed and the speed warning is of use to me when over in France. ViaMichelin is not going to be to everyone taste but as some postings here keep pointing out, we have our very 'help desk' in the shape of Stu, and there are not many manufacturers out there that have had the balls to put up one of their senior managers in a public forum.
By the way, the comments about the usefulness of the speed limits. This application is obviously of use in a country, other that the UK where we have lost the plot when it comes to managing our roads.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: