Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How is my Maths ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How is my Maths ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
murts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't basing the calculation on constant download, it's based on the assumption that 1 traffic update is around 40k and updating every 15 minutes would be around 160K an hour.
etc.......
= £1.17 per hour (that's 4 40k downloads every 15 mins)

Anyway been down to a Vodafone shop today, they reckon from 4th June they are capping GPRS costs to £1 a day same as T-mobile.

Only problem is now I've read that the microphone for bluetooth phone functionallity is rubbish. I basically want a device that I can put in any car without attaching any extra wires/microphone that with give me SatNav/Traffic/Phone. Will the TT 510 not do this ?
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I read it, he is only taking 4 separate 40k downloads per hour. ie traffic set to update every 15 mins. Maths look good to me.

Beat me to it!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

murts wrote:
Only problem is now I've read that the microphone for bluetooth phone functionallity is rubbish. I basically want a device that I can put in any car without attaching any extra wires/microphone that with give me SatNav/Traffic/Phone. Will the TT 510 not do this ?

It WILL do all that, but many people reckon the internal microphone is poor and recommend buying an external microphone from TT. BEWARE of phone compatibilty for it all though. Some phone combinations do everything (my Nokia 6230i on Vodafone monthly contract does), but some will not do anything and others will only do some things.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
murts
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried my 2 phones in Halfords, Nokia 6822 and Motorola L6, both work fine.

Looks like the 510 is for me, just got to get Halfords to price match their online price of £229 (with promotional code)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest, on Tuesday night I activated my TT Traffic free one month trial for the TT GO700 I bought last May (yes, 2006!). I then used it for part of the day on Wednesday and part on Thursday. On both days it didn't seem to outperform BBC Radio 5 Live, the only difference being the TT option for it to automatically re-route me (which I didn't take). As usual, I did NOT RTFM, so goodness only knows how good a job I made of it. I left it at the default setting of 15 minute updates.
I got the impression that it updated more often than 15 mins, but that may have been me prodding it to display information. I didn't run it all the time I was out. I've just been on the internet to my online phone account to have a look see. Over the two days, I received a total of 25 downloads and it seems as though a download is as big as the information it contains, so the idea of a steady(ish) 40K download every 15 minutes is not the case. The smallest download I received was 2.896Kb, cost £0.006 (excluding VAT), largest 195.245Kb, cost £0.382 ex VAT. There were 15 downloads of less than 10Kb, 6 of between 20 and 30Kb, 1x52Kb, 1x75Kb, 1x79Kb and 1x195Kb. Quick (unreliable) mental arithmetic adds up the total cost of them all to about £1.30 before VAT. I'm on Vodafone monthly contract. Make of this what you will - me, I've disabled it and won't use it again.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: