Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MIO Speed Camera database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MIO Speed Camera database
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes and no, I guess.

Sallyann may know more about the specific workings of the Mio, but MaFt is king of the PGPSW speed camera database Exclamation Laughing

It's too much to expect everybody to know everything about everything and we wouldn't need this forum if we all knew it all - but the important thing is that people try to help others with what knowledge, thoughts, inspiration etc they may have.

Last edited by GPS_fan on Thu May 10, 2007 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spend too much time on it, when I should be doing other things.

GPS_fan wrote:

It's a bit of a pain though doing 150 through a 30 limit, deleting and adding cameras in my Hillman Imp Laughing Laughing

Actually it's hardly worth changing individual entries on the device these days, with the speed that MaFt is sending out updates. Just be sure to send in the new direction info ASAP so that gets included.

Sal
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point Sallyann

Sallyann wrote:
with the speed that MaFt is sending out updates

mmmm...are you accusing the person responsible for the camera database of speeding?? Laughing
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is a known problem amongst PGPSW members, I wonder if anybody has contacted Mio.

I might try contacting them myself on the assumption that a duplication is better than no communication.

If Mio correct this issue, it will surely benefit MaFt's hard work with the PGPSW database as well as the Mio speed camera database.
Midgley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Mio C510z speed cam data files Reply with quote

Hi all,

Having glanced through various postings found in this forum, I have come to realise that the *.mtc file format is used for speed cam data.

Perhaps someone can explain to me the difference between the *.mtc and associated *.upd file found on my PND, and the use of the SPUD format files.

When I first purchased my Mio, I was unable to successfully record new positions of cameras.....only once I created additional folders within the Miomap directory did the device create & store a SPUD file.

Thanks in advance
Midgley
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mio C510z speed cam data files Reply with quote

Midgley wrote:

Perhaps someone can explain to me the difference between the *.mtc and associated *.upd file found on my PND, and the use of the SPUD format files.

In the Europe version:
- there is only one .mtc file and that is speedcams.mtc that contains the full list of speedcams downloaded from Mitac or PGPSW (or created yourself if you are very keen).
- there is only one .upd file and that is poiupdates.upd which saves camera additions or changes that you enter yourself from the screen.

Both of these are in the \pois folder. I'm not aware of any other location where they can be stored, or of the function of the spud files you mentioned.

You mentioned in your PM that you are in SA. I'm not familiar with that version but I would be surprised if it was very different from the Europe one. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Amesdp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: spud files Reply with quote

North American Mio units don't seem to use the mtc file. Instead they have a subdirectory under MioMap called POI\SpeedCam. This subdirectory is initially empty on new units. When you create your own speedcams, a file called SpeedCamUpdates.spud is created.

I wrote a spreadsheet editor/importer for this spud format, so I had to figure out a few things about it. It stores one record per camera location, including cam type, angle and speed limit information. The file is a simple linear file which grows forever - records are never actually deleted, just marked unused when you edit a cam or delete it in MioMap. The file is freshly imported by MioMap each time the program runs. As far as I can tell, there is no other speedcam database. This is all undocumented by Mio.

Unfortunately all versions of MioMap have a serious bug in reading the SpeedCamUpdates.spud file - the cam type is always read as a standard speed cam, and all angles except 0 are changed. Therefore only "All Directions" will work, and all cameras show up as standard speed cams, regardless of how they are specified in the file.

As far as I can tell, my Canadian Mio C310SX with MioMap 3.2 does not recognize or read a SpeedCams.mtc file placed in the miotc\poi subdirectory.

If anyone has any ideas on how to find out whether is a way MioMap 3.2 can read a SpeedCams.mtc file with North American cam locations, please suggest!
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: spud files Reply with quote

Amesdp wrote:

I wrote a spreadsheet editor/importer for this spud format, so I had to figure out a few things about it. It stores one record per camera location, including cam type, angle and speed limit information. The file is a simple linear file which grows forever - records are never actually deleted, just marked unused when you edit a cam or delete it in MioMap. The file is freshly imported by MioMap each time the program runs. As far as I can tell, there is no other speedcam database. This is all undocumented by Mio.

That sounds very like the structure of the poiupdates.upd file in the Europe version.

From what you say it seems that the South African version is the same as the North American.

Sal

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: