Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Posting New POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Posting New POIs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you could always submit your POI files in the format

"MacDonalds (courtesy of Fred Bloggs), Anytown, Lat, Long.

Wink
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brill?
mhhaake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
mhhaake wrote:
IMHO...Those that take the time and effort to share POI files should at the least been given contribution credit. By doing this you will more people contribute.
Personally it has never bothered me as to whether I am credited with a POI File.

I know those that I've done, and I'm content that others are making use of my handiwork.

I also know that most POI locations are not spot on, and that a multitude of users will submit corrections/adjustments which will make for a more accurate database.

So for each correction do I take/get less credit? It doesn't bother me, and I will still carry on helping others. It's my input into the Sat Nav community. ;)

I think you are misunderstanding my point. Just a simple acknowledgement would increase the contributions to the site. Even putting the submitting members name next to the file in the download section would help.

My idea of recognition was solely focused around increasing the content on the site from multilpe sources, which helps more people than I alone or you can. Increased content on the site leads to more hits which also leads to helping more people.

I could care less if you give me any recognition.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do get an Acknowledgement, Its called an Autoreply, I also get a bonus bounced back email
Quote:
The original message was received at Wed, 28 Feb 2007 01:14:37 GMT
from mk-smarthost-2.mail.uk.tiscali.com [212.74.114.38]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
email address removed
(reason: 550 Your message was not delivered for policy reasons.)
(expanded from: xPOIs@pocketgpsworld.comx)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to mx1.bt.mail.yahoo.com.:
xxx 421 Message from (62.73.187.141) temporarily deferred - 4.16.50. Please refer to http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/defer/defer-06.html
... while talking to mx2.bt.mail.yahoo.com.:
xxx 421 Message from (62.73.187.141) temporarily deferred - 4.16.50. Please refer to http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/defer/defer-06.html
email address removed... Deferred: 421 Message from (62.73.187.141) temporarily deferred - 4.16.50. Please refer to http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/defer/defer-06.html
... while talking to personal info removed.:
xxx DATA
xxx 550 Your message was not delivered for policy reasons.
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

I now have 6 of these after trying to submit a file to pois@pocketgpsworld.com and I havnt a clue what it means and nobody wants to give me an answer,so now given up, anybody else want to decipher.
xxx replaces greater than symbols

edited by MaFt
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt,
whilst I respect your decision to edit my copy email, and having misgivings myself, I think pulling the names out takes out an integral part of the email being team members, perhaps in hindsight it would have been better just to have removed the email adress,s,
As to the others havent a clue who they are, just a thought.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its late, any idea what policy reason 550 is.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
MaFt,
whilst I respect your decision to edit my copy email, and having misgivings myself, I think pulling the names out takes out an integral part of the email being team members, perhaps in hindsight it would have been better just to have removed the email adress,s,
As to the others havent a clue who they are, just a thought.

it's not advisable to post email addresses in forums as lots of spam robots scour these places for stray addresses... plus it was personal email addys and urls.

the original (unedited) is currently residing in the admin area so it can be looked at and hopefully get fixed! strange thing is, even though you got the error message your submissions went through fine...

MaFt
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MaFt, The most important thing in your response is the comment that the submission went through fine, In view of other various comments on acknowledgements etc, I think this is the most important part of feedback, and knowing if succesfull, it would have saved keep resubmitting, in my case the problem is not knowing what happened.

I originally submitted and after waiting 4 weeks with no sign of entry, I rechecked and found numerous mistakes and then resubmitted, but still do not know if satisfactory, IMHO I think the file submission procedure needs to reviewed with perhaps a feedback system, ie. accepted, rejected, with reason, this could then be reviewed by the submitter and resubmitted if neccesary, thus saving a lot of work by oldie etc.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: