Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 300 Version 6.520
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 300 Version 6.520
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wac wrote:
Hi Tumbleweed
I find the menu's easier to negotiate, and other small things like when you can get the map to change to a blue screen when you go faster than a pre-determined limit or enabing you to disable some of the features when you are driving. May not be every bodies cup of tea, but I like them.
Wac :D

OK thanks for that, think I'll stay as I am in that case but nice to know whats there..which TBH doesnt sound like a lot...different menu structure is about it?

I suppose I'll end up upgrading only in the unlikely event they release new maps which require upgraded s/w, which personally I dont think they will for older units.

Tw
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the "Blue when over speed" thing yesterday - set it for 70mph and watched over my shoulder for a sneaky 72mph. Didn't like it. It takes so long to get back to mapping I started suffering withdrawal symptoms (I dropped speed the instant it happened).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Erm....you missed the plot here, surely..... Reply with quote

WAC was originaly interested in the sounds & loss of same......the simple solution is carried all over this forum which was to put the data file (OV2 ), image file ( BMP ) & all new sound file ( OGG ) in the same directory and you can cease messing around with .chk files altogether.

OK, so you need an ogg file - there are loads available or you can make your own. That info is readily available on this site/forum too.

Personally, I use the zoned camera files and have, for example, pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.OV2 & pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.bmp & the all new pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ogg ( which curiously enuff says something about a gatso being ahead and the speed limit being 30 mph ). Repeat as required for all other zoned speed camera files.

Again, I concede that you have to get the OGG's and the BMP's & the OV2's in the directory to start with but then you only need copy/overwrite the OV2's as & when they are modded & released by PGPS.

My own experience of the data.chk method was constantly resetting the POI warn when nears immediately after loading an update. Using Ogg's has made this a thing of the past. Plus I don't need to build a new .chk file everytime I want to change a sound. I just get/create & rename the ogg file to the same POI OV2 filename, lob it in the dir, activate the warn when near, done.

.CHK fanatics will naturally want to champion the need to dispose of COW in favour of Sloppy Fart Sound or replace BELL2 with Blood Curdling Scream sound, but it really is no longer necessary to play with the .chk files for the POI sounds ever again. Just name them the same as the OV2 & BMP filename & lob 'em in the dir.

Guys, unless there is some other super important reason you wish to mod the .chk file, I recommend leaving it alone and prOGGress.

v6.520 is a pretty good update of firmware, for sure. I like the option to show fewer options. No more scrolling through pages of unused icons or making custom menus for me......Huzzah !!!!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Erm....you missed the plot here, surely..... Reply with quote

Hirvevarra wrote:

Guys, unless there is some other super important reason you wish to mod the .chk file, I recommend leaving it alone and prOGGress.

Also, now this method is available, I doubt if many sites are going to bother producing new data.chk versions for upcoming software releases.
So they are going to have to bite the bullet and swap methods eventually.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Erm....you missed the plot here, surely..... Reply with quote

Hirvevarra wrote:
WAC was originaly interested in the sounds & loss of same......the simple solution is carried all over this forum which was to put the data file (OV2 ), image file ( BMP ) & all new sound file ( OGG ) in the same directory and you can cease messing around with .chk files altogether.

Well, I've been noticing posts all over the place about voice warnings for cameras, but it all sounded far too complicated for an old geezer like me. But this post somehow struck the right note and in less than an hour (including reading lotsa stuff on a link) I've got voice warnings and a smile on my face to go with them. Thank you SO much Hirvevarra. I know lots of others have been posting about it for ages, but your post happened to be in the right tone and format to click with me.

Watch out folks - I'm now thinking of trying to get that microphone to work and how to make some navigation instructions by grandchildren for my zimmer frame (which is where my GO700 is mounted of course).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: You are most very welcome indeed..... Reply with quote

Glad to be of use to someone...Laughing Out Loud :D

Quick follow up :-

If you are using the consolidated files, you only need basic Gatso, Mobile, Specs. etc.. OGG files. ( gatso.ogg, specs.ogg ) No need for all the 20mph, 30mph stuff.

Zoned users need everything & a kitchen sink.

Single file users - Hmmmm, you're on your own. I haven't found a ready made voice prompt without camera type identifyer as yet ( i.e. ""Warning - Speed Camera Ahead" rather than "Warning - Gatso Ahead" ).

If you have one or know where one lives, let us know.

Thanx B.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have thought most people automatically connect the word "Gatso"with speed cameras generally, so would be happy with "Warning, Gatso ahead" for the single file version, just like "Warning, Hoover ahead" Laughing
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: True, true... Reply with quote

OMG !! Guess I may be a tad retentive for even thinking that last bit up. 8O

The thought was that if it yelled Gatso, users might start looking for the invisible yellow roadside boxes and miss the bloke with a PanEuro or Beemer & his box brownie, or worse, the big highly visible stripey van with exceedingly seedy blacked out windows. ( Often wondered if the Safety Cam Operatives wear latex or gimp masks in the relative privacy of their Transits ? ) Wishful thinking....?......... Who knows ....? Wink

Have to say tho' Andy, ( and it errs on the side of definately retentive here ) that you made a good point over the whole Hoover/Vacuum cleaner issue which, can you believe, also drives me mad.

Am off to find a Domestic Appliance forum and set this straight once & for all.... Idea
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: True, true... Reply with quote

Hirvevarra wrote:
Am off to find a Domestic Appliance forum and set this straight once & for all.... Idea
You might find you'll get sucked in. Laughing

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Somebody had to...... Reply with quote

Da-Dum !! Ching !!

Rolling Eyes GROAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: