Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice on C510/C710 buying advice?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on C510/C710 buying advice?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information!

I've read quite a bit of the available information about the Mio 510/710 and it seems that one of the main weak points is the lack of customer support and technical support from Mitac.

Does anyone know if it's possible even through a hack to import ready made POI databases?

Is it also possible to turn off the visual speed limit display? I see that with the iGO software the visual speed limit is not displayed. If the Mio software is based on iGO then perhaps there is a way of turning the visual speed limit warning off?

In terms of TMC I've been confusing information. I've been told by a local supplier that there are 2 commercial TMC services in the UK - ITIS which broadcasts on Classic FM and Trafficmaster. I've been told that there are also limited free TMC services which are similar to verbal Traffic Announcements but which don't give the same detail as the commercial services. I was told that the free services can be quite effective in London and outer London but that the free services won't give sufficient information in other areas. This may explain why the Mio TMC service is good in and around London but not so good elsewhere. The supplier suggested that if the Mio TMS service is unable to pick up the Classic FM TMC data then it probably doesn't have a subscription to the ITIS service. He couldn't give an answer on the Trafficmaster service.

I notice on the Mitac website that there's a reference to the fact that TMC is not free in the UK and that something called the Mio e-shop gives further information on TMC in the UK. Problem is there's no further information and no sign of anything actually called the Mio e-shop!

The Garmin TMC receiver which advertises itself as including a lifetime subscription to Trafficmaster costs about £150 which is more expensive than the Mio receiver.

The UK TMC system seems to be more like the French system where it seems that TMC is free on toll roads but in general is a subscription service.

Gareth.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many times are you going to ask the same question?
The C710's TMC includes all of the roads covered by TrafficMaster. If you want to know where those are, there is a map on the TrafficMaster web site. If you want details of how the Mio uses it, look at section 4.7 in the on-line manual.
I've already taken the trouble to list out a typical display which as you could see is not restricted to motorways or toll roads.
As CJ told you, this is the real deal.

Sal
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
How many times are you going to ask the same question?
The C710's TMC includes all of the roads covered by TrafficMaster. If you want to know where those are, there is a map on the TrafficMaster web site. If you want details of how the Mio uses it, look at section 4.7 in the on-line manual.
I've already taken the trouble to list out a typical display which as you could see is not restricted to motorways or toll roads.
As CJ told you, this is the real deal.

Sal

Thanks - and thank you for taking time to copy the earlier example traffic reports for London.

I'm only asking for clarification - if anyone has it - of the inconsistent information that's available.

The problem is that the information from different sources isn't consistent. The Mio store, and Mio adverts for the C510/C710, suggest that subscription TMC information for the UK cannot be received by the Mio (or by the Mio external receiver):

http://www.mio-tech.be/shop/product_info.php?products_id=314

Other information suggests that it is the limited free TMC service available in the UK that is being picked up by the Mio - this service is said to be quite good in London but not so good elsewhere. The free TMC information would cover the same A roads and motorways as Trafficmaster but not in the same way - not with the same update frequency or detail (road closures and so on).

It isn't a huge matter for me but I'm just trying to clarify the confusing details.

Gareth.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where you got the information about a "free TMC service". Google can't find a link for one in the UK.
My C710 is currently showing 62 traffic events of which 27 are greater than 50 miles from London, and they are not all motorways.

Sal
FuzzyDuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gareth,

Sal is correct -- Mio Tech are wrong

In their original launch material, information about the use of TMC was confused. Different messages were shown on Mio's site, MioShop and distribution sites. You can only go by what other "real world" users say.

The Mio C510/710 CAN recieve the free TMC service in the UK, but CANNOT receive the subscription (paid-for) service.

There is a slight "gotcha" however. This relates to your software version. Those of us who were early adopters of the C510 had units shipped with v3.0 software. Only later were we informed that only software v3.1 and above can use the TMC facility. I'm now waiting for a software update from Mio.

If you buy a unit, just check that its not old stock and that the software version is v3.1 or above and everything should be fine.

Hope that helps!

Proud owner of:
Mio C620t (the new baby) and a Mio C510e
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FuzzyDuck wrote:
If you buy a unit, just check that its not old stock and that the software version is v3.1 or above and everything should be fine.

Hope that helps!

The implication of the above is that one can't upgrade the firmware - Surely this is not true?
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FuzzyDuck wrote:

The Mio C510/710 CAN recieve the free TMC service in the UK, but CANNOT receive the subscription (paid-for) service.

I have to take issue with you as well.

1. What is the "free TMC service"? There are only two TMC services in the UK - ITIS and Trafficmaster. Neither of these mentions a free service on their web sites.

2. Given that the TMC data shown in the Mio 710 is quite comprehensive and covers the whole Trafficmaster network (as demonstrated by users) what more would you get with an extra subscription? I doubt that I would need anything more, and I travel the whole country.

3. You are correct that early 3.0 versions of the software did not include the TMC support, but has anyone tried getting an updated 3.1 disk? We are told that the 3.2 software will be available for existing users.

Sal
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FuzzyDuck wrote:
Hi Gareth,

Sal is correct -- Mio Tech are wrong

In their original launch material, information about the use of TMC was confused. Different messages were shown on Mio's site, MioShop and distribution sites. You can only go by what other "real world" users say.

There is a slight "gotcha" however. This relates to your software version. Those of us who were early adopters of the C510 had units shipped with v3.0 software. Only later were we informed that only software v3.1 and above can use the TMC facility. I'm now waiting for a software update from Mio.

Hope that helps!

Thanks FuzzyDuck

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Sal seems to be clear that there is no free TMS service in the UK and that therefore the Mio 710 must be using a subscription service - the Trafficmaster service which is delivered through a number of stations.

But there is no suggestion from Mitac - from their website and other information - that this is the case. Quite the opposite. The website is clear that it is not possible to receive subscription TMS services in the UK.

I'm not saying at all that Sal is wrong just that there is real confusion here - information from Mitac is clear that it is not possible to receive subscription TMC in the UK. Is it possible that the Mio 710 is using Trafficmaster or another subscription service without Mitac being aware of this?!
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
Is it possible that the Mio 710 is using Trafficmaster or another subscription service without Mitac being aware of this?!

It is definitely Trafficmaster because the device shows the name and frequency of the FM stations it is receiving, and these are all part of the Trafficmaster network.
I'm very happy with the TMC service on my C710. As you have seen, others are equally happy with it. It's an excellent product and a good price. Buy it and enjoy it.

Sal
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
Retty wrote:
Is it possible that the Mio 710 is using Trafficmaster or another subscription service without Mitac being aware of this?!

It is definitely Trafficmaster because the device shows the name and frequency of the FM stations it is receiving, and these are all part of the Trafficmaster network.
I'm very happy with the TMC service on my C710. As you have seen, others are equally happy with it. It's an excellent product and a good price. Buy it and enjoy it.

Sal

Thanks. I'm still confused by the TMC - how can Mitac not be aware that their device is using Trafficmaster? - but it is the one I'll go for. Having read hundreds of reviews and messages over the past week I'm aware of some of the niggles with the C510/710 but it does seem to be the best value for money device out there at present.

Now to decide whether to wait for Miomap 3.2 to be released or not ;-)
ticklepin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: TMC function on Mio 710 Reply with quote

Regarding the TMC on a Mio 710 [v3.11 May25 2006]: Works fine in the south midlands,Manchester,and as far as Cumbria on the M6
which is the furthest north it has taken me.
I have the TMC aerial joined into the car aerial of my '06 Forester.(this I have discovered is 'active'.)
My only criticisms of the 710 are:
1/the present inability to import POI
2/ apparent inability to attach sound warnings of POI a la TomTom
3/unit fails to 'zoom in' to tricky junctions where the chosen route is 'straight on' but where it would be useful to be sure of the required lane very early.
FuzzyDuck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sal

Sallyann wrote:
I have to take issue with you as well.

Eeek! Should I run and hide under the table for being a bad duck?? 8O

Sallyann wrote:
3. You are correct that early 3.0 versions of the software did not include the TMC support, but has anyone tried getting an updated 3.1 disk? We are told that the 3.2 software will be available for existing users.

I have contacted Mio support on a couple of occasions -- I have been promised an update CD/DVD with the v3.11 software, but as yet I'm still waiting... I think that v3.2 will be out before I get a v3.11 CD/DVD, so I'll jump a version and go straight for that one! Smile

Sallyann wrote:
1. What is the "free TMC service"? There are only two TMC services in the UK - ITIS and Trafficmaster. Neither of these mentions a free service on their web sites.

By "free" I meant that the TMC service that can be recieved on the C710 and the C510 (if you buy the add on dongle) without paying an additional yearly subscription (to TM or ITIS).

The systems built-in to our work vehicles requires us to enter an activation key each year when the licence is renewed -- that is the subscription that my company pays to its TMC provider.

I assume (never having got it to work on my C510) that you didn't have to enter an activation key on your C710?

It wouldn't surprise me if there was a 2 tier approach to licencing the TMC data -- Manufacturer Licenced (Mio pays a fixed amount for each TMC unit sold to the providers) & User Licenced -- you pay every year to renew your licence to access the data.

Anyone from ITIS or TrafficMaster care to comment?

Proud owner of:
Mio C620t (the new baby) and a Mio C510e
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FuzzyDuck wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if there was a 2 tier approach to licencing the TMC data -- Manufacturer Licenced (Mio pays a fixed amount for each TMC unit sold to the providers) & User Licenced -- you pay every year to renew your licence to access the data.

I think you have hit it there FD. That is very probably the way it works.

Sal
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

My oh my, this has been a lively one.

Retty wrote:
- but it is the one I'll go for. Having read hundreds of reviews and messages over the past week I'm aware of some of the niggles with the C510/710 but it does seem to be the best value for money device out there at present.

Now to decide whether to wait for Miomap 3.2 to be released or not ;-)

Pleased to see Retty's seen the light and decided to go for one.
Just for your info Retty, the stability of the software and functionality of this unit far outweigh the niggles. :D
Having used 'a few' I think I can safely say that.

CeeJay.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was thinking of the garmin but this thread is convincing me to go for the Mio. Is the 510 or the 701 text to speech ?

Nokia Lumia 800 with Nokia Maps, iPhone 4S with Apple Maps (sigh)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: