Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT navigator v mobile difference?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT navigator v mobile difference?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
Connection between PC and WM PPC is achieved via ActiveSync.
Latest version http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/default.mspx
Use this to install the Navigator application. ActiveSync is terribly slow and glitchy, so transfer you map data to storage card via a card reader for speed and reliability.

So, are you saying I should download the maps and application etc to my laptop FIRST, then use actvesync to transfer it to the SD card in the PDA?

I don't have a card reader (I didn't think it was necessary).
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phineus wrote:

So, are you saying I should download the maps and application etc to my laptop FIRST, then use actvesync to transfer it to the SD card in the PDA?

I don't have a card reader (I didn't think it was necessary).

Theoretically everything can be achieved via ActiveSync. Reality it is a pain
IF it works. Download Navigator to your lappy and install via ActiveSync. As for the map it should be OK from disc. Try with ActiveSync by all means, but a card reader will be the best ~£tenner you can spend. Get a multiformat type and it will take care of your digicam pix also.
Almost giving them away here as an example http://search.ebay.co.uk/card-reader_W0QQfromZR41
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Mullet. Your help is greatly appreciated.

As suggested I have now purchased the card reader from ebay. I should receive it in a few days.

Meanwhile (before I get on my bike to do another night shift) I will try to download the GB map, Appliaction and voice prompt to laptop first, then PDA SD card via activesync (I can't do this at work due to network restrictions/admin rights).
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phineus wrote:
As suggested I have now purchased the card reader from ebay. I should receive it in a few days.

These are cheap.
Did a double take and spent £7 to replace my five year old (£30) failing 6 in 1. Laughing
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a cracking deal - thanks for that!

I ran out of time before. So, I'll have a bash at downloading TTN tomorrow afternoon.

Still no reply from globalpositioning systems re USA map version etc.
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here we are again. Another day to ponder the inadequacies of vendor documentation.

I have attempted to install TTN and maps via activesync to the SD card in the PDA.

Installing the 'application' seemed to go well. Selecting TTN (English Jane) from the DVD, the install shield installed it directly to the PDA in folder called Tomtom. Although I had to keep selecting 'yes' on the PDA to the 'unknown publisher' messages (you'd think a company as succesful as TT would pay for MS validation certificates). Indeed there is now a Tomtom application icon on my PDA desktop.

The map installation didn't default to the PDA, instead I installed it a laptop folder, then I copied and pasted to the SD card via activesync. During copying I had an error message; "cannot copy 'cline' not enough disk space".

Finally, I started TT on my PDA and set my preferences. At this point I get the error message "no maps found".

I suspect I have copied the map files (which appear to be 3 folders called: great_britain map, tomtom and zip) tothe wrong folder on the PDA.

I assume I'm to copy the map folders to the SD card, but which folders?

BTW, using this method, I have not been asked to input my activation code. Perhaps I should abort this method and wait for my card reader to arrive.

As usual, any help is greatly appreciated.
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying variations to get TTN and maps from the DVD to the PDA.

Assuming I do manage to get the files from DVD to PDA, where exactly do I place them. Does the application go on the PDA? If so, to which folder?

Does the map go on the SD card? Or do they both go on the SD card?

Why can't TT supply proper, step-by-step instructions? They charge enough for the software!

A curious thing; when I select 'Quit' the DVD it asks if I wish to register (via tick box), when I try this my browser opens and attempts to go to URL: 193.173.148.208. After 30 seconds or so the browser just closes down. I look up this URL (with www.whois.net) and it does not appear to be a valid address.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ActiveSphinct has let you down. Wait for the card reader, copy and paste the great_britain map folder off your lappy to the root directory of the storage card. Then once card is inserted run the Tomtom application on the device and follow the screen prompts.

Searched TT support.
http://www.tomtom.com/support/category.php?ID=3&Language=1
See section B. How it should work.
http://www.tomtom.com/support/solution.php?GID=3&PID=188&SID=198&CID=224-225&Language=1&FID=4164
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again mate. I'll try that and let you know.

I take it back (well sort of). Tomtom DO have proper written instructions instructing people how to install their software. But why don't they tell you this in the glossy little booklet that comes with the DVD.

Or even a follow up email from customer service!

Good links!
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just been reading the instructions from the Tomtom website (in the link you sent:http://www.tomtom.com/support/solution.php?GID=3&PID=188&SID=198&CID=224-225&Language=1&FID=4164).

This is basically what I did this afternoon, but it still didn't work. Never mind though, I'll try again tomorrow.

However, I do have one slight observation; there is no mention here of using a card reader - although there is in the glossy pictures with the DVD.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other "trick" that is known to work is installing the map to the hard drive of the PC then to copy the map files to the PDA, although if you have the card reader on order I would wait as its a valuable asset for the transfer of large files - Active Sync does work (when it want to) but takes an absoloute age to achieve the data transfer - Mike
phineus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parp-de-parp-parp...parp-parp (trumpet fanfare)

It works! Yes, as you can probably guess, I'm up and running. Well, I'm waiting to acquire a GPS signal at the momemnt. Funny that, because my Magellan GPSr acquires in seconds.

Yes, I came off the night shift this morning and intercepted the postie. Bed could wait, I couldn't resist playing with my new (cheap) card reader. You were spot on Mullet! Everything was a breeze after that.

I'm sat here with my PDA still connected via USB to the laptop indoors. Do you think I should nip outside to get a better signal?

Still no reply from globalpositioningsystems regarding version of USA maps. I'll give them a while longer. My hope is to buy USA&Canada maps on SD so that when I can activate the maps here in the Uk from my laptop, then simply plug in the SD card(s) when I get to the USA.Canada.

As this thread (and other experiences) prove, seldom is anything as straight forward as it seems.

Anyway, thank you everyone. Especially Mullet - you're a star!

Phineus

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: