Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Improving TMC on c550
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Improving TMC on c550
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I didn't have a problem obtaining a refund from Halfords.

I originally spoke to Garmin technical support who confirmed there were issues with the GM12 TMC receiver and although no date could be given they were trying to come up with a fix. They also said if I was unhappy with the situation I should take it back to Halfords.
Anticipating a bit of a stand off at the shop I did take the precaution of phoning Halfords head office to see what I should do.I was simply told to take it back, speak to the manager and if necessary he/she would contact Garmin themselves.

So I went back to the branch I originally bought it from and simply explained the whole of the above to the manager. Although he said he wasn't aware of the TMC problem and hadn't had any other 310D's returned for that reason he did offer a refund without any hassle and without the need to phone Garmin.

My advice would be if you haven't done already speak to Garmin and get the latest situation on the TMC problems from them. If it is still ongoing tell them you are want to take it back for a refund (make sure you get the persons name you speak to) Then go back to Halfords armed with what ever information you have from Garmin. I wouldn't worry too much about the 28 day period as Halfords have to sell some thing that is 'fit for purpose' and a TMC receiver that doesn't provide traffic data isn't. Also if Garmin are still admitting there is a problem Halfords really don't have a leg to stand on.If necessary as their own head office advises get the manager to speak to Garmin himself.

Good luck
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n4nick wrote:
I have been trying to return my 310D for the same reasons as you but Halfords are refusing to accept there is a problem. Did you receive confirmation from Garmin? I have also spoken to them but so far no email to help! Even worse, my 28 day period expires on Saturday :-(
Surely their 28 day policy is for any reason, it doesn't need to be for a fault...?
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I don't think there is a legal requirement to offer a refund "for any reason" but many stores do for reasons of good customer relations. I think they are obliged to offer a replacement within 28 days following which its a repair.

Spoke to Halfords head office and local stroe again but no real progress and Garmin this morning were saying that its a Trafficmaster / Classic FM problem.

My advice to anyone considering a purchase is to either save yourself some money and get it online or purchase from Halfords but from one of their smaller metro stores who seem more flexible as to refunds as they usually do not have sat-nav "experts" in store.

One way or another I'm hoping for some good luck!

Nick
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I've just checked and Halfords online returns policy is 28 days for unwanted goods, but excludes a number of items, including SatNav. I would therefore be surprised if any Halfords accepted the goods back (if they check into it).

However, if it's faulty, that's a different matter, and if the traffic isn't working, one could argue it's faulty.

Certainly my Nuvi suffered the same problems until I moved to a different usb charging cable, and now works better, although I still feel it's much more responsive when plugged into a computer (which of course is no help in the car).
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n4nick wrote:
Garmin this morning were saying that its a Trafficmaster / Classic FM problem.
If Garmin said it was a Classic FM problem then you spoke to the wrong person - Trafficmaster doesn't use Classic FM...
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, the question you should ask Garmin is that if it is a Trafficmaster problem why aren't all TMC receivers experiencing similar problems and not just the GM12 ?

Anyway to the Halfords refund issue, Garmin have admitted there is a problem with the reception of a TMC signal. Whether it's caused by Trafficmaster or the GM12 is irrelevent the fact is the Nuvi 310D isn't currently doing what is being described and sold as being able to do. Consequently it isn't 'fit for purpose' and as the contract is between you and Halfords they are legally liable.Also if you paid by credit card (note credit not debit) the card company is also jointly liable. If you are still having no luck with Halfords then contact your credit card company and explain the situation to them.

Finally, the HALFRAUDS thread on the 'Retailers to buy from or avoid' forum on this site would be worth reading as it has a lot of good, sound advice that might help your case.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=41385
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice - if I crack the problem I'll let you know. I am happy with the nuvi and am hoping that they can resolve the TMC issues.

I think Garmin use Trafficmaster which in turn use GCap Media who own Classic FM? I would be dissapointed if Garmin customer support are not well versed in their products, especially after hanging on the phone for 20-30 mins.

Nick
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n4nick wrote:
I think Garmin use Trafficmaster which in turn use GCap Media who own Classic FM?
Trafficmaster use GCap Media and Chrysalis Group radio stations, and yes, GCap Media own Classic FM. However, Classic FM is used to broadcast the RDS-TMC signal for iTIS Holding, the competitor to Trafficmaster, although the majority of the other radio stations by both groups are used by Trafficmaster.

Quote:
I would be dissapointed if Garmin customer support are not well versed in their products, especially after hanging on the phone for 20-30 mins.
You must be disappointed then Sad
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Just had a look at the coverage maps for GCap and Chrysalis. Excluding Classic FM it's not great! Trafficmaster's claim of national coverage appears to be stretching the truth a little.

As for customer services - haha...no comment. Lets see how satisfactorily my problems are dealt with!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n4nick wrote:
Just had a look at the coverage maps for GCap and Chrysalis. Excluding Classic FM it's not great! Trafficmaster's claim of national coverage appears to be stretching the truth a little.
Can you provide links to these so that everyone can see whether or not they should have coverage?
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Links for GCap and Chrysalis stations and coverage:

http://www.gcapmedia.com/assets/dynamic/8/files/brand_portfolio_map_feb_2006.pdf

http://chrysalis.com/index.php?object=187

Nick
Trafficman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with the above in mind, if you are not in an FM station area of these stations excluding Classic FM (because RAC Live do not broadcast on it) you will not receive traffic data. I have looked at the coverage maps and deduced that the following areas are not covered. Parts of Cornwall and Devon, Central and South West Wales, parts of Somerset, Wiltshire, Hampshire, Dorset, Essex, Suffolk, Warwickshire, South Lincolnshire, North Notts, North Derbyshire, and parts of Cheshire. Parts of Cumbria and Northumberland. Most of Scotland is missing as well with the exception of the more populated areas in the central areas.
Hardly national coverage I think you will agree. So does this explain some of the problems that people are having?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could certainly explain some of the problems, although I'm amazed that between these two commercial radio groups there are so many areas without coverage from one of them (except mid Wales, and North Scotland - both areas where there are few (if any) roads covered by Trafficmaster in the first place of course (*)).

However, surely "the one network" from GCap, which is FM, covers Suffolk... (in fact, my local commercial station is a "the one network" brand, and definitely has traffic.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(*) - I appreciate if you are heading across mid Wales towards England, for example, you would want advanced warning of the traffic ahead to ensure your chosen route put you on the clearer routes, so early information is required, even whilst on roads not covered by the traffic sensors.
Trafficman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the covergae maps it seems only parts of Suffolk are covered.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: