Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - MIO C710
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

MIO C710
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark1968 wrote:

In the meantime does anyone have experience of TMC outside london, and also importing POI's?

I have so far used the C710 between London and Dover (M2), Brighton (M23), and Leeds (A1), and it's given continuous and useful TMC coverage on all those routes.
As far as importing POI's is concerned I have only done so from the updates on Mio's own site (which are free for a year) but I see no reason why the same USB cable can't be used with POI Handler. As to POI Warner I can't say, but the built-in warning is good enough for me

Sal
TheInspector
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

Just to introduce myself and to let you know I have just received the 710E today and on first impressions, I am quite impressed. Haven't had the chance to take it out as it requires an 8 hr charge. I also am surprised there is no mention of TMC in the PDF manual or online. There is what looks like a small aerial in the box but it is not made clear whether this is for the TMC or the device itself - presumably the former. Come on Mitac, get your finger out!
Had a bit of a play with it. Is there any way to speed up the route preview as it seems to take almost as long as driving there. I have dragged and dropped some MP3s on an SD card and the sound quality seems fine.Pictures look okay on it too. The UK voice is a bit naff: "Thomas" sounds like an officer in the Coldstream Guards .Don't fancy the American voice though. I will be looking at ways of changing this as it annoyingly keeps reverting to the American voice when you switch it on. Must be a bug.
The POI are a bit hit and miss. I am in the North of England and it told me the nearest theatre was in Dublin. Have to get that lot sorted. Also, I didn't spot any Indian restaurants in the food section. Seems to be mainly franchised outlets like Pizza Hut etc.
I am impressed with the build quality. It's solid yet very portable. I am looking forward to using it to find my way round places like Rome and Barcelona.
I originally sent off for a TomTom One from Amazon UK. It failed to work immediately so I sent it back and got a refund. I am glad it was a duff one as I wouldn't have had the 710 which looks a far better deal. I just hope the TMC works in our area. Will report back.
Keeping my fingers crossed that we can get some decent POI's; speed camera databases and different voices.
What amazes me about this device is how sensitive it is. Even though I'm indoors, it is picking up half a dozen satellites. Sometimes it tells me I am moving slightly, when I'm not. Mmm.
The manual is pretty useless for a novice like me. It seems to be more obsessed with the fancy bits like the dialler;mp3's;calculator; bluetooth etc and not much about the basic stuff I need to know like how to actually use the navigation. For instance, can anyone tell me what Lock means when it displays on a map? I have searched the manual and there is no mention.I also tried to delete some of the stuff in history and it asks me if I want to clear all - which I don't.It doesn't explain about a lot of of the icons. It tells you everything apart from how to use it for navigating. I can't believe it. Am I missing something - or is the manual missing something?
It really is quite useless in that respect.
1920e22e
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Mio c710 Manual Reply with quote

Hi just received my c710 today so no real chance to use it yet. I also had no map manual included as far as I could see but it is possible to download c510 manual fro Mio's website. Seems to have most of the info needed but nothing about TMC. Fast simulation doesn't appear to work on my unit despite following instructions regarding pressing and holding main menu button whilst selecting "fly over". Also don't appear to have a mute symbol on the map screen.

I had a 269+ and had got used to using it (my sister has decided she needs it more than me!). I hope I'll be able to get to grips with this unit as well.
darthpaul
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Lock' snaps the map back to your GPS position if you've moved it by hand. Try it!
TheInspector
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that darthpaul. I've had a good look at the manual now.
There seems to be no way of doing a fast route preview, despite what the manual says. If you follow the instructions and press Menu button and Flyover button, the menu, not surprisingly, appears. ASnyone found a workround? Also I can't see any buttons to hide or show POIs. The POIs provided aren't that good. I hope we can download them from elsewhere.
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheInspector wrote:
Hi everybody,

J
It really is quite useless in that respect.

The user interface is not straightforward but you get used to it in time. Some people have complained about the address search being more long-winded than Tomtom but someone has done a comparison and actually the C510/710 was quicker.

You can drag the maps around with your finger and zoom in/out using the magnifying glass icons - use MAP not COCKPIT mode to drag maps as the map display is larger. This is an alternative way of searching. If you tap the map a radiating red circle appears with some info in a yellow box, such as house number/street/city if you tap on a street. You can then just press "Route to" on the pop-up menu at the bottom and the device will calculate a route from your present location. Tapping "lock" takes you back to your present location.

There appears to be no way of saving a route - you can only route from your current location - I'm not sure if this is a problem or not - I don't think it will be.

For fast simulation press the "Flyover" icon with the second hardware button down on the right depressed.

I'm not sure whether the MP3s will play at the same time as navigation - haven't tried it.

Hands free phone use using bluetooth is brilliant, even with the built-in microphone - heard lots of tales of Tomtoms not being so good at that.

Bluetooth connections to your PC can be set up (assuming you have USB bluetooth dongle) to allow you to browse the device's internal flash memory. You can then drag and drop files on to the device. I loaded a UK female voice (Philippa) from the PDAMill website - much better than Colonel Thomas.

All in all - a brilliant device.

JPG
TheInspector
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Bluetooth - help Reply with quote

I just tried unsuccessfully to connect with Bluetooth (never used this before on the computer so it was a case of trial and error). However, now I can't stop the Bluetooth light from flashing on the left of the 710. Have tried unticking Other devices can discover me and Allow other devices to connect but it won't stop flashing. Any ideas please?
TheInspector
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Ignore last post please Reply with quote

Embarassed Just found out how to do it.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case anyone hasn't found it out, the printed manual supplied in the box is just an introduction. On the Mitac website there are two very comprehensive PDF manuals - one for the device itself and one for the mapping software.

As has been said, some of the POI's are a bit thin but the cameras seem to be comprehensive and it's easy to update them from the website.

Regarding the voice switching back to the default American, this only happens if you do a reset or hard switchoff. Switching off/on in the recommended way doesn't lose any settings.

Sal
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peasemold wrote:

Bluetooth connections to your PC can be set up (assuming you have USB bluetooth dongle) to allow you to browse the device's internal flash memory. You can then drag and drop files on to the device. I loaded a UK female voice (Philippa) from the PDAMill website - much better than Colonel Thomas.
JPG

I have connected the C710 to my PC both ways - with bluetooth and with the USB cable. Have copied across my Outlook contacts and also some MP3's. But I haven't been able to browse the device's own files - I can only see files that I have already loaded myself in three areas - MP3's, photos's or contacts.
When you loaded another voice, where exactly on the device did you place it?

Sal
TheInspector
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cameras seem to be comprehensive and it's easy to update them from the website.[/quote]

You're having better luck than me Sal. All I got was synchronisation successful but unable to upload to device. I connected with a USB cable.

What puzzles me is who does the device not show up as a mass storage device in My Computer when it's connected?
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheInspector wrote:

You're having better luck than me Sal. All I got was synchronisation successful but unable to upload to device. I connected with a USB cable.

I've had no trouble with that. I take it that you have put your registration details into the sync program?

TheInspector wrote:

What puzzles me is who does the device not show up as a mass storage device in My Computer when it's connected?

Exactly the point I was making above. The Transfer program lets you see only MP3's or Photos on the device, everything else is hidden and Windows Explorer can't see inside it.

Peasemold - how did you see where to put the new voice file?

Sal
TheInspector
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had no trouble with that. I take it that you have put your registration details into the sync program?
Quote:

Yes Sal. I put the details in. First the Speed Cam Tool said that the device was not connected. Then I restarted the comp, fiddled about a bit and it recognised the device was connected, downloaded the file but could not upload it.
Did it upload to yours automatically, then give confirmation?
I am getting a strange picture on the device which shows a computer linked to the device which illustrates the SD card coming out the top and a hand and a cross (X) at the side of it. No explanation; nothing in the manual about it as far as I can see and nothing on the website to explain what to do about it. Very helpful, I don't think.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheInspector wrote:

Did it upload to yours automatically, then give confirmation?

It gives about three screen messages in turn, the last of which says something like "update completed". Next time I do it I'll take notes

TheInspector wrote:

I am getting a strange picture on the device which shows a computer linked to the device which illustrates the SD card coming out the top and a hand and a cross (X) at the side of it. No explanation; nothing in the manual about it as far as I can see and nothing on the website to explain what to do about it. Very helpful, I don't think.

I didn't have a problem with that. It's just a graphic to illustrate that the device is connected to the PC. The hand with the cross means don't touch the controls while it's linked.

Sal
Mercury
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my new Mio C710 for the first time today, but only on a short journey to and from work so I haven't had a chance to try all the features. I plan to fit the TMC aerial tomorrow and see how that works.

I've still got my mint condition TomTom GO 500, which I will no doubt sell on eBay. The interface logic and voice quality of the TomTom appear superior (but that doesn't surprise me), but the functionality of the C710 seems to be way in front. The cross border European maps are the main reason I upgraded (rather than paying for the extortionate TomTom MOWE on SD product).

I really hope Mio become more widely known - it's a great product and has a lot of potential for futher development/add-ons.

Regards,
Mercury

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: