Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SHOULD I BUY A GARMIN STREET PILOT i3 ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SHOULD I BUY A GARMIN STREET PILOT i3 ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulhgc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

could this be version 8 ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BMPJOE/qid=1140738052/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_1_3/026-6778754-3176449
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulhgc wrote:
could this be version 8 ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BMPJOE/qid=1140738052/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_1_3/026-6778754-3176449

Whether you get v7 maps or v8 maps depends more on when the shop/supplier got his stock in.

Recently KwikSave/Somerfield sold the i3 for £99.99, some people got v7 maps and others v8, so unless you can see what's printed on the box it's not easy to say.

It's printed very small next to the bar code on the bottom of the box.
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://search.ebay.co.uk/garmin-i3

Aitch
paulhgc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have just come accross this http://www.garmin.com/support/faqs/faq.jsp?faq=240&webPage=Cartography&lang=en
so would this mean that i could get the one from maplin and then upgrade to v8 for free ? sorry if i sound a bit thick but im new to all this [/quote]
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - does not apply as the i3 does not come with a mapping CD in the UK.

As a previous poster mentioned, there has been a lot of discussion on this forum about 'strong hints' from Garmin that existing v7 i3 owners would be able to receive a v8 maps upgrade for free 'sometime early this year' - but I wouldn't rely on this, if it's important to you.

Aitch
paulhgc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aitch2 wrote:
No - does not apply as the i3 does not come with a mapping CD in the UK.

As a previous poster mentioned, there has been a lot of discussion on this forum about 'strong hints' from Garmin that existing v7 i3 owners would be able to receive a v8 maps upgrade for free 'sometime early this year' - but I wouldn't rely on this, if it's important to you.

Aitch

what would you say my best option is buy the v7 and hope to get the update or hold out and try and get the v8 version ...... i have looked on ebay but only 1 seller seems to have the v8 loaded and his rating looks a bit suspect
birdman41
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Staples price Reply with quote

The price in Staples was £119.95, on Monday at least. They even gave me £50 back because I had bought mine at Staples for £169.95 3 weeks ago (which then was the cheapest I could actually find to buy). V8 maps aswell - but this may be a bit of a lottery.
Read on another forum (MoneySavingExpert)
Quote:

Incidentally, for those who have the v7 maps, you can get the v8 maps by ringing garmin on the 25th February!

:D
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Staples price Reply with quote

birdman41 wrote:
Read on another forum (MoneySavingExpert)
Quote:

Incidentally, for those who have the v7 maps, you can get the v8 maps by ringing garmin on the 25th February!

:D
Which is a Saturday - good luck... Confused
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you absolutely must have the V8 maps (I know I would) then you be better off either buying in-store or finding an online retailer who will verify which version comes with the unit. As mentioned elsewhere; Alongside the barcode on the bottom of the box there is a very small V7 or V8 printed along the edge of the label.
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Dixons or The Link - dunno if they're v8 though - maybe ask them to look at the boxes, if you call?

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=35883

Aitch
Ayla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am brand new to this GPS lark, and had no idea what to buy, except that I had a very limited budget.

I had a Navman 320 for a couple of weeks as I liked the larger screen, but it took forever to find a satellite signal - upwards of 15 minutes if it was raining, and then I had to be outside the car with it!

I took it back and bought a Garmin i3 at Staples this week (Tuesday 21 Feb) for £119 (less 10% as my daughter works there). It definitely has V8 maps. Thanks for the tip, BTW, I checked before I bought.

I really struggled with the Garmin initially, until I downloaded a software update. So instead of going from my house in Swindon to work (an actual distance of 8 miles) via the centre of London (a Garmin round trip of 198 miles), it now directs me correctly. It finds the satellite in seconds if I'm parked in an open space, and just a few minutes in a built-up area.

I also initially missed the very clear diagramatic directions down the left hand side of the Navman (such as which exit to take out of a roundabout) and the "next step" direction.

Now that I have the new software, the map on the Garmin redraws correctly, the voice prompts work (far superior to the Navman, I might add), and I find that the small size of the Garmin no longer matters, as the voice prompts are so good, I can use those alone.

I am deliberately taking routes I know well and then detouring to see if the Garmin can re-route correctly, and I have to say it is way faster than the Navman at doing that, and has yet to telll me to take a road I know is actually closed (unlike the Navman).

I am still trying to figure out how to use the speedcamera database (I've only had the thing for 72 hours), but I'm sure I'll do so, with all the help on this Forum.

Finally, the fact that I can update the maps etc on the Garmin and not the Navman, clinched my decision to change and I'm glad I did.

For similar money, the Garmin is way out front!
paulhgc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks ayla i have now made the decission to go for the garmin and will be sniffing one out tommorow ? what update did u make ? i note from there website that you can get auto updates

p.s i have sent you a private message
Ayla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulhgc wrote:
thanks ayla i have now made the decission to go for the garmin and will be sniffing one out tommorow ? what update did u make ? i note from there website that you can get auto updates

p.s i have sent you a private message

Hi Paul. You'll love it! I did a software upgrade to 2.70.
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find all your i3 downloads here:

http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00434-00

Aitch
Aitch2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and don't forget to change your Splashscreen, too! (i3 not listed as compatible, but it works fine with a properly dimensioned *.bmp)

http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=545

Aitch

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: