Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - External antennae
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

External antennae
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boydonegood
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah read the MCX bit on the back of the Garmin aerial tonight in Lakeside.
The aerial i can get ya is a Bus GPS aerial,,,Looks n does the same as the aftermarket Garmin one. You need a SMA( i think..dont shoot me if wrong) adapter.Maplins dont go small enougth so they gotta come from RS at Bow.Near Blackwall tunnel....Only a cheap brass convertor from large(aerial socket) to small Garmin socket....Only sensible if your in a hurry or desperate..
If ya desperate ,desperate..like your going away,,,you can have mine n i'll wait for them to come in...Its been taken outta box n used for about 10 mins,,is not installed in car or nothing..So still brand new...
iandee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No hurry Tel, thanks for info and reply tho
regards
iandee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Pleased to advise that I now have the Maplin external antenna from Maplins (Southend after all that). I agree with all, that it is excellent and the cost £9.99........... well :D amazing.
I am not putting it on the roof of my Scenic. I have stuck the Garmin dashboard disk on to the dashboard top and using the sucker holder am finding it ideal. The antenna I have positioned with blue tack (at the moment anyway) on the dotted part of the windscreen near the rear view mirror and hiding the wire behind the lining, with it going into and then out of the glove box, up and then on to the garmin. I can then easily disconnect and push the wires back into the glove box with the adapter from the cig lighter. I then remove the garmin from the dash when leaving the car.
The reception is very good and pick up rapid.
Many thanks to all you guys Thumbs Up for this information about Maplins. Its saved at least £60 from the 'official' Garmin antenna and another major victory/ advocate for this forum
regards
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maplins must be pleased with this forum as i have also bought the A47FH.

fitted it to the roof of my megane estate at the rear offside corner.

signal strength is certainly better but i was a bit disappointed with the satellite lock times.

40 seconds with aerial
45 without

this is with batteries installed then powered from the car and keeping stationary until lock established.

don't know what i really expected but certainly a quicker lock time than that.

any views ???
simon78
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
signal strength is certainly better but i was a bit disappointed with the satellite lock times.

40 seconds with aerial
45 without

this is with batteries installed then powered from the car and keeping stationary until lock established.

don't know what i really expected but certainly a quicker lock time than that.

What's so bad about 40 seconds its not even length of time it takes to put seatbelt on and start your car Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Why dony u turn it on as you walk to your car that way it will have picked up satalites by the time you get it plugged into aeriel Question Question
iandee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it seemed to get better each time I used it
Dilcymro
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening all,
I think mine took about 30 secs the first time, haven`t taken much notice after that, by the time I have started up and seat belt on its locked on. Has anyone got a garmin one to compare? mind you for a tenner its swings and roundabouts isn`t it.

matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iandee wrote:
I found it seemed to get better each time I used it

that seems to be an interseting issue to raise.

as it takes its power from the i3 does the aerial need to "associate" itself ie settle down. thinking back to my cb radio days when the set and aerial had to be tuned in together.

must be a boffin or two out there who could shed some light.
semaj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: 206 Reply with quote

I have mine in the rear window (inside)
Works great.
Unit sits in the space in front of the ash tray, cable runs behind and under back seat then up under center console out of ash tray.
newtosatnav
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that the one I bought (from ebay - see the older posts) has a massive improvement on lock times and when I am in city the signal strength is massively improved. I have a C-Class Merc and there is an air vent on the top of the dash that is made of metal which the mag mount seems very happy to stick to!
matb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did a full reset on the little lady this afternoon, the first one since going back to beta 2.82

the sat lock times have now been reduced by about a third, now 20 to 30 secs Laughing

guess its like the wife really, a bunch of flowers and the worlds your lobster Wink
Trajet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matb wrote:
guess its like the wife really, a bunch of flowers and the worlds your lobster Wink

Aw all red and nippy Crying or Very sad
GoHome
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought the I3 in December and have continually updated as an when they come out, also POI's and Speedcams, put my own Splashscreens on (thanks for the input from members for that one). I have never had a problem with the unit.................so why do I fix things when they are not broken?

So I have been reading with interest that you can getter better reception using the 9.99ukp arial from Maplins.

Got the arial from Maplins in Bradford on Saturday afternoon and tried it straight away by just plugging it in and putting the arial on to the back shelf of my Megane, then powered on WOW....! lock in a matter of seconds.

So Sunday fitted it a bit more permanant by placing under the trim and basically losing it from the sight of the little angels that roam our streets.

Sunday I decided to do a trip ..........arghhhh unit is frozen turned it off ....Tried again...........nothing.
So I have just had to do a hard reset. I had lost all my Favourites. I suppose that will teach me not to fix things that are not broken.

BTW no other problems with 2.9 and pleased with the better warnings.

John
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoHome wrote:
Got the arial from Maplins in Bradford on Saturday afternoon and tried it straight away by just plugging it in and putting the arial on to the back shelf of my Megane, then powered on WOW....! lock in a matter of seconds.

So Sunday fitted it a bit more permanant by placing under the trim and basically losing it from the sight of the little angels that roam our streets.

Sunday I decided to do a trip ..........arghhhh unit is frozen turned it off ....Tried again...........nothing.
So I have just had to do a hard reset. I had lost all my Favourites. I suppose that will teach me not to fix things that are not broken.

John

John its the Crap 2.90 software release which caused your problems, the arial has nothing to do with anything.

Put the beta 2.82 Thumbs Up back on then await garmins 2.90 fixed release should not be far away.
simon78
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
John its the Crap 2.90 software release which caused your problems, the arial has nothing to do with anything.

Put the beta 2.82 back on then await garmins 2.90 fixed release should not be far away.

No sure what you mean about the 2.90 software as I have 2.90 software on mine and have had no problems with it, I used it whilst on holiday and again no problems. Also have an external areial which works brilliantly.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: