Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - voice warnings for POIs on Navigator 5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

voice warnings for POIs on Navigator 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoyP
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now know what's happened: I now have Navigator 5.21,(5431), but the list of downloads for Pocket PC only goes to 5430. I presume there isn't a relevant file for 5431. Am I right? Will there be one? Or is there any other way?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rena, You will be please to know that you did nothing wrong, I have just tried the latest download from the TomTom site and ended up in exactly the same position as yourself TTN5,21 (5431) - it doesn't work, with the voice warning files, or the POIExtend utility, it used to work pre 10/01/06 release.
For anyone else trying this to get the voice warnings to work and/ or POIExtend you will need the installer from a pre-dated download prior to the above date, at version 5,21
Mike
JoyP
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, thanks for all your help. I know you are trying to find a way round this, and we have been e-mailing. My last three e-mails to you have failed to be delivered for some reason, (two were just to tell you that they failed to be delivered!),but I didn't receive the files you sent me.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My e-mail is sorted now, my fault, (web mail server was full!), I will try again to send you the fix when I get home, I abandoned the 5431 and reverted back to 5430, its all working again! - congratulations on being the first to find this - Mike
JoyP
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having loaded, deleted, reloaded, etc. I now have three versions of TomTom on my PDA! All seem to work, two are the latest version (5.210) and the other is 5.000 (which you sent to me, and which has the build for the voices.) Is it safe to delete the two? I have the backups on my computer.

For everyone reading this, it has been a steep learning curve for me! I spent the whole of yesterday evening in contact with Mike (bless him!), trying to get the right files in the right location, and all because I wanted voice warnings for speed cameras.

Meanwhile, I still haven't got the voice warnings, but hope to download the correct ones later.
JoyP
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I've actually done it! I now have the voice warnings - but find the Gatso's and mobiles don't all tally - No gatso 70, for example
never mind, I have the speed limits and cameras and that's what matters.
Thanks Mike, you were brilliant. And very patient.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Unable to rename data.chk file Reply with quote

Hi, I tried to rename my data.chk file to data.chk.old as instructed so I could use the voice warning data.chk file, but got a message sauing it is a read-only file & can't be renamed. Should I reinstall TTN and try again or has anyone any other ideas.

I'm using TTN 5.1 on an iPAQ 1910. I did have the voice warnings working in the past but I hard reset the pda so I could get rid of a lot of obsolete programme files and do a clean reinstall of only the programmes I wanted to use, which is why I didn't restore my backups.

Thanks Keith
wazzzzupmate
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps this may help.
http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=23806
It worked for me
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can remove the offending file using Active Sync and windows file explorer, go to mobile device/ Programs/ Navigator, right click the data.chk file select cut then paste the file onto the PC's desktop, then either leave it there or right click, select properties and if the file is read only un-check the box then copy it back to the PDA in the same location, as this file is not used there is little point in putting it back on to the PDA it will just consume valuable memory but don't just delete it in case you want to put it back to "normal" in the future - Mike
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mike, I just went to follow your instructions and found I was able to rename the file since I swithed off last night. I will move it to the PC as you suggst though.

Thanks

Keith
Mattyboy101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bring this thread up again, but I have done everything correctly, chosen the right version of the voices for my software, and on my XDA2 it still plays the original sounds even when I have deleted the original data.chk and replaced it with the new one - it even does this if I unplug the XDA and do a soft reset. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Matt Smile
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the data.chk File in mobile device/ Programs/ Navigator? Or the one on the Card.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Mattyboy101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooops - don't I feel like an idiot now!! Embarassed Laughing

I was looking on the device for a folder called TomTom that contained a file, but couldnt find it, so assumed it must have been the one on the card!!! Embarassed
awake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall that there are two different sets of voice warnings with one being from Pocketgpsworld but the other I can't for the life of me remember where.
Would somebody kindly let me know were I can find it and also if it will work on navigator.

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some that can be found on www.tomtomsatnav.info but I would also have a read through THIS thread for an alternate (and much easier way IMHO of doing things) - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: