Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 7-DIGIT POSTCODES AGAIN
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

7-DIGIT POSTCODES AGAIN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gacrane wrote:
I was just wondering if you are using the "Navigate to Postcode" option and not expecting to see the 7 digit postcode in the "Navigate to Address" section of TT. Only a thought.

A good point, I hadn't considered that could be the problem!
headworx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way i got mine working was to copy a file called great_britain.postal into the zip directory of my SD card. This enabled the 7 digit postcode search, i had already trie dthe making directories etc and all other tries had failed.
The file is 8mb, if anyone wants me to upload it to their ftp site or similar give me the details and i would be happy to do so.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headworx wrote:
The way i got mine working was to copy a file called great_britain.postal into the zip directory of my SD card. This enabled the 7 digit postcode search, i had already trie dthe making directories etc and all other tries had failed.
The file is 8mb, if anyone wants me to upload it to their ftp site or similar give me the details and i would be happy to do so.

You're a new forum member so I will give you the benefit of the doubt but no we don't want it uploaded and if you make any further offer to do such your account will be locked. You have been warned.

Owners of legitimate copies will have the file already.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good God, another thread down the drain yet again - I just hope he got there in the end - it was a long haul - perhaps a simple guide as to how to do this is needed, (I thought it existed) but can write one if required - along with the guide to installing custom voice/ warnings - let me know as its easy when you have done it - so it may as well be on the site - BTW Darren thanks for the correct way to get it to work (Post codes) I got ten MB back deleting that duplicate file that the TT site state is the correct way to fix a problem - stupid of me not to realise - but the learning curve continues (as it should do) cheers - Mike
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much guys. I do appreciate your efforts. I have not got there in the end, I'm sorry to say.

I should make it clear that I am using a legal upgrade, purchased directly from TomTom.

Gascrane, it is a fair question but, yes I certainly am using search by postcode.

Darren, although it may well be me that is at fault, have you recognised what I am suggesting - that TomTom's installation sequence appears to be incomplete on my upgrade? Are you also aware that the upgrade, at least in my case, came on seven CDs and is not pre-installed onto an SD card? In other words, I think I may have an abnormal copy of the upgrade. Bearing all of this in mind, I tried both of the following ways:

1) I installed by tapping the GB postal code CAB file then tried the resulting file in the various locations for the Zip folder (containing the resulting postcode file) and empty tomtom folder. In case it is not clear, that results in a progress bar being displayed, just like with any other installation. I still wonder if this stage could be necessary, since Setup on my upgrade fails to transfer any postcode file or Zip folder onto the PDA at all. As Setup installed the GB Map from its CAB file during installation, it seemed logical that the intention was to install from the postcode CAB file that way as well.

2) In case the intention is for TomTom to install from the postcodes CAB file first time it is used, I tried putting the CAB and ini files in the Zip folder - in the various possible locations.

Just another thought. As various locations for the Zip folder are suggested on the forum, does a path need to be set somewhere?

If anyone can solve this conundrum, then I will be grateful. When it is solved, Mike, I agree that step-by-step guides for both pre-installed SDs and upgrades would help future users.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More info means more to go at, - First of all did you install the "plus" map of GB or just the normal one - the Plus one takes up around 203MB, the normal one around 102MB, at the point you put the CD in for the map and you click install map, it should ask you what you want to install - GB, GB plus, and post code.
It is at this point you can select it and it will install to where TT wants it (it still won't work at this point - as the folders Darren mentioned won't be in place - so if you add the postcode in this way - then follow Darrens info - and cross your fingers (only joking)) -
I hope this helps - be online later - off to Manchester for the day -
by the way I think it is fair to say that TT is by far the most problematic code to install on the PDA I have ever encountered, without the forum, there help line would have been wiped out, the web site is not much use either - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PONDEROUS wrote:
1) I installed by tapping the GB postal code CAB file then tried the resulting file in the various locations for the Zip folder (containing the resulting postcode file)

I'll say this again, you DO NOT 'run' the GB Postal Code file! The .cab file is the PostalCode database .cab format that simply resides in the ZIP dirtectory. It does not need to be 'installed'.

No path is needed for the 'zip' folder, TomTom will look for its existence in the storage card root.

I don't mean to be pedantic but you seem insistent on doing what you choose rather than following the process I have described.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren writes:

Quote:
you seem insistent on doing what you choose rather than following the process I have described.

I really am sorry if you receive that impression Darren, but I find it difficult to understand why you should receive it. I did exactly what you suggested - without success - and I have made that very clear.

Under those cirumstances, I naturally tried other things while making further efforts to tell those who have been kind enough to reply exactly what it is that is happening.

The reason why I have gone to some trouble to explain about the CAB files is because no one else has yet mentioned a CAB file - which is all that is available to me until I do in fact install it. Could I therefore ask the specific question: is it the postcodes CAB file that should be placed in the Zip folder, or the GB Postcodes (or similar name) file that installing from the CAB file produces?

Also, can you tell me where where the Zip folder is before it is moved to where you say? As I have explained, the only one I have found is on the GB map CD - and it contains map CAB and ini files.

I say again, I'm merely trying to explain what is happening - and not professing to know the answer. If I did, I would post it, for sure!!
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I see that you DO mention CAB files in your latest reply Darren.

Apart from that, the rest of my reply stands. I have tried both with and without "running" or "installing" as I have mentioned before. The running bit has been merely to see if it makes any difference as the CAB files on their own do not work.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, my apologies, I referenced .cab files in the 'zip' folder which was incorrect so whilst I eat my humble pie let us see what we have so far and then work back from there!

The 'zip' folder should contain two files:

Great_Britain.Postal 8.41Mb
    Nederland.Postal 1.76Mb

Do you have these? If not then whilst I eat another slice of the pie, does 'running' the .cab file produce these files?

Last edited by Darren on Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren

Many thanks for the prompt reply.

Yes, running the CAB does produce those files. Preumably that establishes that I place the files you mention, not the CAB files, in the Zip folder.

However, you just might have put your finger on something. I have been ignoring the Nederland CAB as I am not going there in the foreseeable future.

Just possibly (strange though it would be!!), the Nederland files might be needed for the GB ones to be picked up by TomTom.

I'll try it now, then post again.
gacrane
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Quote:
1) I installed by tapping the GB postal code CAB file then tried the resulting file in the various locations for the Zip folder (containing the resulting postcode file) and empty tomtom folder.

Does this mean you are placing the empty TomTom ditrectory in the Zip directory? If so that isn't where it needs to be. The empty TomTom directory is place in the root of the SD card and the Zip directory is also in the root of the SD card with the postal code files in it. This means you will be placing Two separate folders in the root of the SD card.

Sorry if this isn't what you meant. Reading it again I think you don't mean the above but I'll still post incase you do.

Graham
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gacrane

Thanks for the thought, but I have placed the tomtom directory at the same level as the Zip one.

Darren

I have tried including the Nederland file, but to no effect.

As an aside, I have now found that the Setup programme for maps and postcodes runs fully on my PC if I copy it there before installation (it would not run from CD). This places the Zip file containing postcode file into the very place you mentioned; i.e. the root of the SD card. Despite the presence of the empty tomtom folder, the postcodes don’t work. That’s probably not too surprising where my TomTom is concerned as the directory structure is the same as what I obtained manually.

Since we exchanged posts, TomTom’s tech. support have come up with the same recommendation as you did.

This leaves me completely stumped and, subject to anything else that you can suggest there seems to be nothing for it to re-install from scratch.

Thanks again.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the case of the folder 'tomtom'?
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren.

Yes. Presently it is written "TomTom". I have also tried "tomtom", which I think is what you meant by note case.

The re-installation has made no difference. I am now installing the basic GB map as opposed to the GB Plus version.

Thanks.

Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: