Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon BlueMedia PNA Review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon BlueMedia PNA Review
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oddjob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine from makro yesterday, seemed fantastic until I used it to travel home from work. It came up with some very strange route choices.

Also when i got within a mile of home(straight ahead on the A road I was on) it told me to turn left and take a 2 mile route!

This morning I tried it in the back garden (where it thought I was in front of the house so not very accurate) and asked it to navigate to my house and its shortest route was half a mile right around the block. It had even chosen the longest way round too!

Another thing i noticed was that even with 7 satellites it wasn't showing north correctly.
So sadly I turned it off and navigated it back to makro manually!

I am very disappointed!

Has anyone got any suggestions for a gps system for around £350 with better accuracy, and the ability to download safety camera poi's? I love the garmin quest but I understand you can't load poi's onto it. I tried a friends quest and it even showed us walking down the back garden.

Thanks oj.
Waredifakawi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddjob wrote:
I love the garmin quest but I understand you can't load poi's onto it. I tried a friends quest and it even showed us walking down the back garden.

Latest Makro Mail has the Quest coming on 30 March for £299.99+VAT. I'm looking for European maps, postcodes and POIs. Quest seems to do only the first of these.
pdauser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought the european maps version for just £293.74 inc. vat at Makro. There was a little set up hiccup (stalled and needed rebooting) but all seems well now. I've used pda based sat nav in the past and its a little different and I'm dissapointed that I have yet to find the poi option, if it has one that is. Also, i'm a little concerned I can't load speed cameras, so I'm about to do search on here to see if i can, otherwise its going back!
Winger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Transonic system from Makro's the day after they went on sale, and am really impressed. Have put POI warner on and the speed camera stuff with no problems. System occassionaly freezes, but the soft reset works without losing info.
With ref to a previous posting, there are many options with regards to fastest route shortest route etc but if it gets you there that is the most important! I use it round town without an address set, just for the speed camera info.
Top buy for the money :D
pdauser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Mine was built on a FRIDAY Reply with quote

After several days usage unfortunately despite its merits I've found too many faults on my transonic navigon pna and its with regret that I had to return it today to makro today for a refund. The last straw was the unit displaying a frozen map for North London while giving voice directions in West London. Oh yeah, the one that made me laugh was the estimated mileage of 6000 miles from London to Cork in Ireland. What really amused me was Makro's customer service, thats a complete joke, quite a contrast to Navigon's professional customer service.
g0sbv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Soft Reset ??? Reply with quote

My mate has one of these Navigon units...also bought at makro and it keeps frezzing up....when you say do a soft reset do you mean move the little switch on the back or press the reset in the little hole on the side..
If he switches the switch off on the rear of the unit software re installs itself and over writes warner ??
Flack
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: g0sbv Reply with quote

I would check and see what he has running, it might be he has to many o.lays and its just running out of memory.
Or he might have a bad file thats locking it up. I have had mine about a month now and I can't fault it...

Flack . 8O
Winger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, mine works fine and I have tested it quite thoroughly. The interface with warner can make things a little slow, but this is quite acceptable considering.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddjob wrote:
This morning I tried it in the back garden (where it thought I was in front of the house so not very accurate) and asked it to navigate to my house and its shortest route was half a mile right around the block. It had even chosen the longest way round too!

Most road navigation software uses a system called 'snap to road' so that it always shows your position on the nearest road to your actual reported location. This is to avoid issues with navigation as your reported location calculated from the satellite data may not correctly show you on the road and would lead to confusion and problems calculating a route. It is not an indication that the GPS is innacurate.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Soft Reset ??? Reply with quote

g0sbv wrote:
.....when you say do a soft reset do you mean move the little switch on the back or press the reset in the little hole on the side..
If he switches the switch off on the rear of the unit software re installs itself and over writes warner ??

A soft reset means inserting the stylus into the reset hold. A hard reset is when you use the main ON/OFF switch and this will as you have found reset the unit to out of the box configuration.
naviboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: loading several maps onto same card Reply with quote

I've been trying to put all the European maps on one 1GB card. on my Transonic Navigon

However when I insert the card the Navigon will only access one of the maps (if I delete one it moves to the next - don't know if it's going for first in alpha order or what). Anyone know of any tweaks to let it acces them all from the same disc or am I missing something obvious!

Also I've noticed that if I put any of the maps on an SD less thn 256mb it won't recognise them at all.

Any help welcome!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: