Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie looking for advise on either Mio 168 or PDA/GPS Combo
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie looking for advise on either Mio 168 or PDA/GPS Combo
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhumph
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I introduce myself?
I have been trawling various websites to gain as much information as possible about PDA/GPS choices.
I found this forum via the Global Pos. home pages, after looking at what they had on sale.
Briefly, as a result of what you chaps have been talking about in here, I have bought a MIO 168 with its built in GPS.
I didn't go for a full GPS package with it because I had never even held a PDA before. I wanted to see what Microsoft 2003 with e-backup, etc. meant in the real world.
I have no real interest in the array of programs that are installed in the MIO 168, but realise that they may become more familiar to me in time.
I had been considering the Medion PNA 100. Nick Staib and a few of you discussed it while I was trying to decide which PDA to go for.
The MIO 168 got such good feedback in this forum that I decided it was the one for me. If it goes wrong, I'll know who to blame. Wink
I have ordered a 1Gb SD card for it, as well as the WriteShield AG Kit that was recommended in here.
I want to use the 1Gb card for maps, music and anything else that may best be kept on a card. I intend to keep the pocket PC as free of extra downloads as possible.
I now have to decide which Map system to buy.
TT3, Navigon, Alturian.....? There are even more now than before I started to look for this PDA. Rolling Eyes
I want to use a system that allows a simple download, without lots of technical key tapping via my desktop. In other words, put the CD disk in the slot, download to desktop hard drive, transfer to MIO 168.
Then have as many options as possible for downloading additional waypoints, speed cameras (with regular updates), further maps of interest, and anything else that I have not yet heard of. I am brand new to this GPS business and each time I venture in here I find something new.
I have read about Sprite Premium Backup and will take that on board in due course.
Most of you will have travelled this road already and I would really appreciate your feedback on this.
Many thanks.
humph.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: